Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 11:14 PM

Said you graduated 3 yrs ago , your 20 now , certificate at 19 , must be this new math
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM

I think there is still some market for power engineering. I think the fourth or third out of school with no work experience is a tough go but industrial experience and hands on tools time plus a steam ticket probably counts for something.

I think companies usually go for a mix of people in operations, you need a few experienced people then you also need the young guys full of vinigar etc. To drag hoses and go on top of towers n'stuff for maintanance.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
It's 2 years in Geomatics Engineering Technology at any of the Polytechnics. You apply to void certain exams after you complete the course because your GET Diploma already covered it. You write only a few exams and then apply for Land Surveyor In Training, work 2 years, do an interview. Bang, you're now certified.

Obviously you work your way from an assistant and you may not be a "land surveyor" for 6 years but you're certified after 4 (2 of them being work exp). Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
Nop.
I did 4 years university, straight to oilpach as surveyor assistant aka. chainman for 6 month Than party chief, etc. Pays waaaaay more then working in office, as ALS, but is also waaaay tougher ( cold, hot, muskeg, bugs, chainsaw...)
No business owner will give you even remote chance to run millions of $$ projects without previous experience as party chief
RPR in City are totally different ballgame Or working for city, municipality or gov of AB as legal or lend surveyor
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
It's 2 years in Geomatics Engineering Technology at any of the Polytechnics. You apply to void certain exams after you complete the course because your GET Diploma already covered it. You write only a few exams and then apply for Land Surveyor In Training, work 2 years, do an interview. Bang, you're now certified.

Obviously you work your way from an assistant and you may not be a "land surveyor" for 6 years but you're certified after 4 (2 of them being work exp). Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
I just finished the GET program at SAIT last April. The certification after two years of work experience is as a Certified Engineering Technologist, becoming an Alberta Land Surveyor take considerably more time. Also, with the diploma (as opposed to a degree), you do not get as many exceptions for the exams, which I have heard are a significant amount of work to prepare for. If you go to BCIT after your diploma and complete their program I believe you only have one exam to write.

The job market is certainly more difficult now due to the economy, but I know when the economy was strong the job market was very good. I believe most people from my graduating class are working as survey assistants (some are party chiefs), although there are definitely options in drafting, GIS, and other related work as well.

One of the great things about the program is how broad it is, you get a learn a lot of different things.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 PM

Daughter took a the NAIT CET course 3-4 years ago now. Project coordinator now.
It took her places, Oil sands projects but she prefers work in town now.
But that course alone did not get her where she is today, she is also a red seal carpenter and has her NCSO,
So consider 2-3 certificates to get you a preferred hire.

TBark
Old 04-08-2017, 01:44 AM

If I was that young I would get a nursing degree. You are pretty much guaranteed a job right out of university and have 100% job security for the rest of your life. It's not a womanly job anymore either, a lot of young men are getting into it.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 AM

Not to mention you can work anywhere as a nurse, which can open up some pretty interesting opportunities for those who wouldn't mind a change of scenery for a while.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurl View Post
If I was that young I would get a nursing degree. You are pretty much guaranteed a job right out of university and have 100% job security for the rest of your life. It's not a womanly job anymore either, a lot of young men are getting into it.
My older brother is a nurse, he recently quit because he's chasing a career with more $$$.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
My older brother is a nurse, he recently quit because he's chasing a career with more $$$.
Damn... there are very few careers out there that are as stable and high paying as nursing. I guess he'll always have something to fall back on if his next plan doesn't work out.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurl View Post
Damn... there are very few careers out there that are as stable and high paying as nursing. I guess he'll always have something to fall back on if his next plan doesn't work out.
Exactly, sometimes he even picks up shifts at the hospital on days off if he's got nothing planned.