Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 11:32 PM

I also found one of those "fire starter" rocks.
I am rather ticked off tonite after contacting a relative about the disposition of my grandfathers collection. Apparently one of the Executors sons struggling with addictions, sold it. It never made it to a museum.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:53 PM

It's too windy for fishing, so went rock hunting and found a couple nice ones.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 PM

I see a post on CGN of an Albertan selling some stone hammer heads. Almost seems to be worth their weight in gold.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM

I didnt know that was legal to even sell
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM

It's been a couple of tough years for arrowheads. But today I found a sweet one. One of the oldest I've found. An Agate Basin Spear Point. 10,200 - 9600 before present. Right after the ice age. This one could have mammoths DNA on it.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
My point is on top of the middle point. It's a perfect match cdn.com/20190327/98ec92b4112eafec872ec9db1d9f7000.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dale S; 03-27-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:57 PM

Mounted a few on silver.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:13 PM

Better look.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:41 PM

Default Copper

I read a cool story online about a 1000 year old copper arrowhead on an antler shaft that was just found on a glacier in the Yukon while some biologists were studying Caribou.. Google is your friend.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:44 PM

The wind has been at work. All brokes today and a couple of scrappers.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2021, 02:20 PM

A very cool thread. Thanks for sharing, Dale.

Wish we had something like this in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:22 PM

Dale, nice revival of the thread. Even though broken those are nice finds. I'm rooting for you find one or more that are intact.

fishnguy - you may have artifacts in your area. Why do you think there aren't any?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Some are so tiny, it's hard to believe they could hold them & shape them with the primitive tools of the day.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 AM

Back in the day, when I had my health, seems like I must of walked a thousand miles staring at the ground. I had about 100 perfect or as near to perfect as possible arrowheads, all found on light soil or sandy fields. I found the best hunting day's were after a day or 2 of real windy days. I never lived or hunted on area's like the OP did. When I had quit hunting/walking due to my health, I laid them all out on the table and let my grandkids (7 of them) pick out 2 or 3 each. The 2 perfectly best ones, I had a lady put a clasp on the back of each one, so my wife could put them on a chain and wear them as a necklace. 1 or 2 at a time however she wanted. I still have a couple of scraper's left, but they are bigger than what the OP pictured. I had saved a few of the better shaped broken ones, but gave away the rest to a relative that also hunts arrowheads. Where the wind doesn't blow all the time, such as it does in southern Alberta, the worst field's to arrowhead hunt are field's that had Canola in them the last season. The chaff is unbelievable.

Last edited by Big Red 250; 03-21-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:01 PM

I’ve always wanted to hunt arrowheads, one of my dreams since I was a boy.
I was out with the metal detector today. some day I need to try the arrowheads!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
fishnguy - you may have artifacts in your area. Why do you think there aren't any?
Maybe we do, but not that I know of. Peace River area. We do have some fossils. My buddy’s sons found a part of a plesiosaurus a few years ago, which is now displayed at the Dinosaur Museum (maybe not anymore, actually; but it sure was). I haven’t found more than a few small shells so far, lol.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I see a post on CGN of an Albertan selling some stone hammer heads. Almost seems to be worth their weight in gold.
14 arrowheads went for $280 at annett auction last week
Old 03-22-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’ve always wanted to hunt arrowheads, one of my dreams since I was a boy.
I was out with the metal detector today. some day I need to try the arrowheads!
X2, only question being, where to start ? I'm told there's a quarry somewhere in K country where the ancient made their tools, mostly chips, few actual points. Took this in the Yukon , apparently there was trade for suitable tool making material materials from the Yellowstone area.

Grizz
Old 03-22-2021, 09:00 AM

Man, I need to find a spot for this. But all the exposed land around here is so heavily worked with decades of cultivation that I don't really believe they're out here...gotta go onto the prairie somewhere?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
Man, I need to find a spot for this. But all the exposed land around here is so heavily worked with decades of cultivation that I don't really believe they're out here...gotta go onto the prairie somewhere?
Add in the Chinook wind on those heavily worked fields and you'll find some. You won't find them on the prairie.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I have a couple but I would never consider selling them. Imagine how long ago someone was using those. Its holding history in your hand. then again at my age so is taking a pee

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-28-2021, 12:33 PM

A nice one today. This area I walk is probably a buffalo kill sight. Lots of bones around.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:20 PM

The only good thing about the wind we've been having. Should be a good year for artifacts. First 1of the year.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:10 PM

It's been a good spring. A few dart points, a triangle point, a scraper. And some brokes.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
It's been a good spring. A few dart points, a triangle point, a scraper. And some brokes.

Those are beauties. Very cool.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
X2, only question being, where to start ? I'm told there's a quarry somewhere in K country where the ancient made their tools, mostly chips, few actual points. Took this in the Yukon , apparently there was trade for suitable tool making material materials from the Yellowstone area.

Grizz
I randomly sat down on a small hill next to a creek in Kananaskis.
Just seemed like a good place to sit and take a break.

I noticed many small grey blue chips of stones laying at my feet.
Then I saw a few a small point. Probably for birds.

For sure this place was a campsite and this hill was used many times to work on hunting tools.

CalgaryChef, I'd be happy to tell you exactly where this is,
Very easy to get to, just a 100 yards off a main gravel road.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-01-2022, 02:00 PM

Family used to have a cottage above Buffalo Pound Lake in the Quappelle Valley west of Regina. There were a couple of teepee rings on a hill above the cottage near the valley crest, and a sharp drop off hill a few miles west that I'm sure was used for a Buffalo jump. After reading this thread I could kick myself for never poking around both in detail. We used to find big pieces of knapped flint washed up on the shoreline all the time.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
It's been a couple of tough years for arrowheads. But today I found a sweet one. One of the oldest I've found. An Agate Basin Spear Point. 10,200 - 9600 before present.
Hate to break it to ya, but this is not an agate basin,. Flaking is wrong. More likely a knife.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
We found this on the beach last summer in the Meadow Lake Park. Does this look authentic?
That’s uncanny. I was detecting on a beach in the same park, I found almost nothing with the detector but my wife found a stone point!
It was interesting to think that sometime in the distant past a family had been camped there just like us, enjoying the water and losing things too.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Maybe we do, but not that I know of. Peace River area. We do have some fossils. My buddy’s sons found a part of a plesiosaurus a few years ago, which is now displayed at the Dinosaur Museum (maybe not anymore, actually; but it sure was). I haven’t found more than a few small shells so far, lol.
Back in the 70's, I found probably a dozen really nice fossils over about 10 years as a youngster on both the Heart River and Peace River banks. The best one was kind of a fluted clamshell about 4" long if I recall. Long since gone. Great agate hunting there too at times.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:21 PM

Good start to the season. A Basant Atlatle. point. 3500 years old made of Knife River Flint only found in. North Dakota. And a Plains Side Notch arrowhead point. 500 to 1000 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk