Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Default High-grading

Alberta forests are disturbance-based ecosystems. Selective logging doesn't work here. That is called high-grading and it ruins forests. The small trees that are left behind are not young, they are stunted, and they will not grow to nearly the size of the large trees (the exception could be Spruce that is growing up under an Aspen canopy, but that's not the situation here).
If companies had their way, they would take only the biggest trees, where there are the best returns. The government mandates that if they log, they have to take everything, because that is a better mimic of the natural system.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
Alberta forests are disturbance-based ecosystems. Selective logging doesn't work here. That is called high-grading and it ruins forests. The small trees that are left behind are not young, they are stunted, and they will not grow to nearly the size of the large trees (the exception could be Spruce that is growing up under an Aspen canopy, but that's not the situation here).
If companies had their way, they would take only the biggest trees, where there are the best returns. The government mandates that if they log, they have to take everything, because that is a better mimic of the natural system.

Big debate going on in Ontario right now, the government wants to get involved in the management of private wood lots. You would have to get a professional foresters approval of your harvest plan, down to the last tree. Theory holds that some of the old trees should be left, as well as the younger ones. Would be complicated and expensive, wood lot owners are vehemently opposed.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2017, 03:42 PM

The advent of the Pine Beetle or whatever you call that trouble maker has caused logging to change. If they don't clear cut the beetles thrive. Only fire, clear cutting or a real cold winter will change that. Blaming the Forest Companies for doing what is right means lack of knowledge & nothing less.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:31 PM

What I would really love to see is one of the people complaining to come and work with the layout crew from start to finish on one of these cutblocks. Just to get an idea of what goes into just one cutblock. Pretty sure that any person bot involved in the business would be very surprised to see what goes into a block from start to end.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Banned

I totally understand the negative impacts of logging and why it's frustrating for people who frequent these areas that get clear cut. As most have stated it's the mess left behind that leaves the land useless for game and people alike. One of my favourite camp sights growing up as a child is still inexcessable because of the mess left behind from clear cutting.
Twenty years later the land still appears that a tornado stood still for ten minutes and just chewed everything in its path and the new growth is still sparse because of the condition it has been left in.

I can see the improvements being made as logging advances when I compare the area I just spoke of with others that I see cut most recently, however it still needs improvements In reguards to a thoural clean up effort being made.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 AM

I agree - it is a fargin eye sore and yes, always room for improvement for sure!! We hunt the area and last season I decided to make something "cute" out of something so "ugly". The pic of the logged area is up by the well site near Plateau Mt. I created the snowmen with some paint - wood burning & patience - they made some nice x-mas gifts and lovely conversation pieces!!
My husband and I saw the flags show up along the trunk road in late 2015 into 2016 so we kinda had a feeling it was going to eventually be logged. In Oct. of 2016 - they began logging just off the trunk road down towards Pasque Mt and were heading north. It's a shame as it kinda puts a damper on our previous scouted hunting spots - we just get these places scouted out and then this happens. I know it needs to be done but arghhhh - we are older folks and sadly, we don't have the time to wait if you know what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (89.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02347.jpg (90.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The advent of the Pine Beetle or whatever you call that trouble maker has caused logging to change. If they don't clear cut the beetles thrive. Only fire, clear cutting or a real cold winter will change that. Blaming the Forest Companies for doing what is right means lack of knowledge & nothing less.
The MPB is a native to the pine forests of western North America. Changing forest ecology and climatic conditions have contributed to the epidemic.

Governments have invented band-aid solutions for the epidemic by allowing forest companies to emulate historical fire events with massive clear cutting.

All that is needed now is for governments to implement a profitable way for companies and corporations to emulate money making climate solutions for the problem.

Worldwide concern and consensus strongly indicates that is the new highway through hell we are currently traveling down.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Gone Hunting

WOW, always some dang thing ain't it? The ones complaining the most, have the least experience in the fields being discussed.

If it's not the greedy logging companies, it's greedy oil companies, or greedy big Pharma. Or gov't should do this or that, but it should be free. lower taxes.

Might be time to take your carbon tax rebate check, head down to the big bank and cash it. Drive on over to Starbux , then home to throw another presto log on the fire, pop a valium and sit back with the laptop made by those greedy Chinese and just chill on AO,

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
WOW, always some dang thing ain't it? The ones complaining the most, have the least experience in the fields being discussed.

If it's not the greedy logging companies, it's greedy oil companies, or greedy big Pharma. Or gov't should do this or that, but it should be free. lower taxes.

Might be time to take your carbon tax rebate check, head down to the big bank and cash it. Drive on over to Starbux , then home to throw another presto log on the fire, pop a valium and sit back with the laptop made by those greedy Chinese and just chill on AO,
An that be a pretty good summation of the road most traveled nowadays by most. As I said - the future highway through hell.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote: As for the fellow that said a cutblock he hiked through had so much debris as to be unsuitable for wildlife habitation, trust me, if you can hike through it with some difficulty the critters will get around in there easily.

I guess I was the fellow referenced in this reply. Not sure your experience with cutblocks in the Slave Lake area equates to the ones I have been through in the southern Rockies. In many of those old cutblocks nothing is getting through. Ten to twenty foot tall windrows of debris make the entire area unusable. Some of those areas, which are over 30 years old (or older) are simply impassable to people or larger animals. I'm hoping current practices are much better but, again, remain very skeptical.
I hiked through a fresher cut area last summer, just north of Cataract creek. Came to a spot where trees and logs were piled up for 10 acres plus, that nothing can walk through. I had to make a large loop to get around - absolute disaster. That kind of disregard makes me very concerned about the benefit to wildlife in the end.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 PM

I hiked through a fresher cut area last summer, just north of Cataract creek. Came to a spot where trees and logs were piled up for 10 acres plus, that nothing can walk through. I had to make a large loop to get around - absolute disaster. That kind of disregard makes me very concerned about the benefit to wildlife in the end.

Those windrows get burned once they dry, part of the reforestation plan.

Grizz
Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Greed, no not really, looked up little Fraser West sawmill/pulpmill in Hinton. They only have 30 similar little operations in Alberta/BC and 6 US states. CEO has only 50 million in stocks and options, with stock pushing $60 should leave him a modest pension of just around $3 billion, thats 9 0's. There sure is gold in Alberta's foothills.
Looks very similar to Skidoo company in Quebec that just gave themselves $32 million in bonuses after Federal and Quebec gave them a much needed boost of $1.4 billion in tax payer money.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Looks very similar to Skidoo company in Quebec that just gave themselves $32 million in bonuses after Federal and Quebec gave them a much needed boost of $1.4 billion in tax payer money.

That was bombardier, not BRP, 2 completely separate company, since 2003
Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Those windrows get burned once they dry, part of the reforestation plan.

Grizz
Same with out by nordegg. Looks like crap. Logging right beside highway. The prescribed burn further west is much more visually appealing.

Logging companies will use any tactic to get the easiest wood possible.
I would push them out to the areas that have no access. They have to build access as long as its economical. Then the public has access to more recreational use as well. Win -win in my view.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Map Maker the little Hinton company only pile and burn logs by the access roads on our trapline. It saves them lots of money for hoe time to pile the logs. They know their are so few Alberta forestry people now and they will never see that most of the large cutblock has not been cleaned up.