Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2016, 08:12 AM

Smile Franken Party?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...sion-1.3838656

Rug, forget the US election what is going on right here. Is Kenny our guy or is he just a little guy trying to get back to the trough?

Are any of these candidates a good choice?

Busing in voters, sounds like East Calgary in the old days.

They say there isn't enough time to unite the right. Well what have they done for the last 2 years?

I think we are looking at an NDP re-election.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Slow learners. They look like ducks, walk like ducks, quack like ducks.....yep they're the same old liberals we've had that ran the fleet onto the reef.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM

Give Kenny credit, at least he's open about his plan. Problem is we won't hear policy discussion (rightly so, I guess, if the party hasn't been created) until his "Franken party" is the ONLY alternative to the dippers. Nothing like painting oneself into a corner, and giving a politician a blank check at the same time.

That being said, I don't think the WR have a shot. They just don't appeal to the urban center vote and that's a critical weakness, whether anyone likes it or not.

What the heck.....go Kenny!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Give Kenny credit, at least he's open about his plan. Problem is we won't hear policy discussion (rightly so, I guess, if the party hasn't been created) until his "Franken party" is the ONLY alternative to the dippers. Nothing like painting oneself into a corner, and giving a politician a blank check at the same time.

That being said, I don't think the WR have a shot. They just don't appeal to the urban center vote and that's a critical weakness, whether anyone likes it or not.

What the heck.....go Kenny!
Pretty much this^^
Old 11-07-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Candidate Richard Starke has right; what will appeal to the majority of Albertans, and the majority of PC's at least, is a party that is fiscally conservative (which the PC's got away from), pro free enterprise, and socially progressive. PC's are there. I don't think most WR folks can find their way there. I'm not even talking about "lake of fire" nutcases. Kenney has a record being socially conservative and fighting change in areas such as same sex marriage, etc.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Candidate Richard Starke has right; what will appeal to the majority of Albertans, and the majority of PC's at least, is a party that is fiscally conservative (which the PC's got away from), pro free enterprise, and socially progressive. PC's are there. I don't think most WR folks can find their way there. I'm not even talking about "lake of fire" nutcases. Kenney has a record being socially conservative and fighting change in areas such as same sex marriage, etc.
I looked at the amendment the PCAA passed that adds 'socially progressive' to their principles, but they neglected to define what that meas. That like trying to tell someone how long a piece of string is.

I know I don't want a Sandra Jansen party (she should go join the Liberals anyways). I like both Kenney and Khan, but Khan is clear he wants no joining with the WR. I'm disappointed in that, as I know him well and he is a good guy, but perhaps the stint in cabinet has skewed him.

Don't forget that the PCAA president is from his CA in St. Albert; they've known each other for a long time, her mother was the MLA there (I worked on all her campaigns) and her father is a retired DM who has long tentacles into the PC party of old.

I am trending towards Kenney, but I don't think it is a slam dunk. There is no question though, he knows retail politics better than any that the others have demonstrated, and as much as I respect Brian Jean, I don't think he can carry the WR over the hump.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Banned

Kenney's too short to be a leader and has too much baggage. Alberta won't elect another female premier for years unless it's Notley. Too much garbage with Smith and Redford being dunce's.

Fiscally conservative and somewhat socially progressive or neutral at least is a good game plan, but frankly the PC's need to be out in the woods for a while and clean house. Just too much stink on them.

I hope WR and Brian Jean stick with their game plan and stay on their own. The PC's don't deserve another sniff after what they did post-Klein. If that means another term with Notley. Oh well. Some people need to get hit more than once before they learn anything.

If the PC's and WR join up I'll likley just throw up my arms and make a hefty donation to the NDP and hope for a cushy government job.

Frankly it all looks like another run at the trough.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Kenney's too short to be a leader and has too much baggage. Alberta won't elect another female premier for years unless it's Notley. Too much garbage with Smith and Redford being dunce's.

Fiscally conservative and somewhat socially progressive or neutral at least is a good game plan, but frankly the PC's need to be out in the woods for a while and clean house. Just too much stink on them.

I hope WR and Brian Jean stick with their game plan and stay on their own. The PC's don't deserve another sniff after what they did post-Klein. If that means another term with Notley. Oh well. Some people need to get hit more than once before they learn anything.

If the PC's and WR join up I'll likley just throw up my arms and make a hefty donation to the NDP and hope for a cushy government job.

Frankly it all looks like another run at the trough.
Criticise a politician for their policies and actions, not their height or gender.

The way I see it is that Jansen is the only candidate who the general population may actually have heard of before that would help win the popularity contest. She is also the only one with enough appeal to the center/left of centre population which is needed to win back a majority for the PC's. If she can appeal to the disgruntled PC voters who voted NDP last time (which she can), then the PC's could be back - but a lot of other things would need to change as well, including having the right candidates in all 87 constituencies. The other PC candidates don't have the experience that would make for being a strong government house leader (except for Starke). I'm not saying I would support her...but I think she has the most potential at this point in the early stages of the 2019 election. Only 2.5 more years to go....