Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Banned

Default Another cummins question?

Sorry but I didn't want to derail the the other threads.

I've got a 2016 dodge cummins and want to use delvac 0-40 engine oil in it. The dealership says no but my thoughts are million dollar cats use it why can't my pick up use it? What are you guys using? Once it's off warranty can I switch to this oil?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:00 PM

Cumminsforum.com
Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 PM

I use mobil delvac 0/40 in my tractors in the winter and the one has a cummins. I use it year round in my pick up, the wifes vehicle, my jeep and the kids vehicles. It doesnt get much better than 0/40. Some of the Cat equipment at some mines are doing extended change intervals of +700 hrs on 0/40.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 PM

Default 5w 40

HI

5w-40 or 15W40

0w 40 might give your valve rocker issuses
Old 11-01-2016, 09:13 PM

I see no issues running 0w-40 in the winter time. Especially if it the truck is parked outside. Makes it much easier on the internals when starting. As for what the dealer and warranty will say about it, that's a whole different thing. They tend to play by their rules and their rules only.

I am a journeyman heavy equipment tech. All the the engines i work on are either 12L or 15L. We do see the occasional ISB(6.7),ISC(8.3)OR ISL(9.0) in our customers trucks. A lot of our customers have went to a 5w-40 for winter time. I know a 6.7L in a pick up is not a 15L you find in a semi. But if you treat it right, it will keep going for years and years.

My personal opinion is to always run Shelol Rotella oil in a Cummins engine. That's what I run in my 91' 5.9L. I also only run Cummins/Fleetguard filters. Everyone has their own opinion on this specific topic but this is what I have found works best.

If it's under warranty, stick with what will make the dealer happy, just in case something does go wrong. (Knock on wood)

DR
Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. In my other trucks gas or diesel I've always used 0-40. I'm taking it in tomorow for oil change and def service. Whatever def service is? Figure I'll get them to put the recommended 5w-40 semi synthetic in it.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:26 PM

Not too sure what a DEF service would consist of. There is a filter in the DEF pump that can be changed. As far as the Heavy duty world that's about it for serviceable items. May include a DEF tank fill at your expense. When you get the bill be sure to let us know as I am curious about that one.

DR
Old 11-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger5143 View Post
Not too sure what a DEF service would consist of. There is a filter in the DEF pump that can be changed. As far as the Heavy duty world that's about it for serviceable items. May include a DEF tank fill at your expense. When you get the bill be sure to let us know as I am curious about that one.

DR
With 15000km on it there shouldn't be a bill. But I surely will.
Forgot to add that it is a dodge so who knows.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:17 PM

Why are you set on delvac ?

As mentioned, Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic is a great oil for these engines. Millions run it. Can't go wrong. With that being said - it doesn't really matter. I just go with what the crowd says.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Just be sure that it has the correct API designation that the manual states because it MUST have the correct combination of additives or lack of certain additives or it will mess up the dpf and scr filters in the exhaust and you will be out $2-4G for replacing them on your dime for not using e correct spec'd oil.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:38 PM

DEF service?? Unless it has a software update which would be 100% warrantee, this dealership is full of BS. On a 2015 there is no service required unless there is a recall or malfunction. Don't let them touch your truck till you verify this. If they say it's regular maintenance turn around and walk out, their ripping you off and are not trustworthy!
Old 11-02-2016, 06:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Why are you set on delvac ?

As mentioned, Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic is a great oil for these engines. Millions run it. Can't go wrong. With that being said - it doesn't really matter. I just go with what the crowd says.
Got a Esso dealer in town is all. We use this oil in all our equipment so I figured it should be good enough for my truck.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
DEF service?? Unless it has a software update which would be 100% warrantee, this dealership is full of BS. On a 2015 there is no service required unless there is a recall or malfunction. Don't let them touch your truck till you verify this. If they say it's regular maintenance turn around and walk out, their ripping you off and are not trustworthy!
I think there is some kind of malfunction because the check engine light is on. Says def service required contact dealer.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I think there is some kind of malfunction because the check engine light is on. Says def service required contact dealer.
Ah, that's a different story then.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:38 AM

Look up Castrol Hypuron 15w40. Its a 15w40 oil that pours like a lightweight oil at cold temps. My other half has 10 years plus working for Cummins so i also have a plethora of Cummins info at my disposal when i need it. My 5.9 has 520,000kms currently.

Taken from the Castrol site:

Castrol Hypuron 15W-40 is the market-leading extended drain oil, safely allowing fleets to run up to 80,000 kms drain intervals in over-the-road applications and 600 hours in off-road and vocational applications.

Need proof? Since its launch in 2001, Castrol Hypuron 15W-40 has amassed over one billion miles of on-road use and 250 million hours in off-road/vocational use. Mile after mile, Castrol Hypuron 15W-40 has been proven again and again, creating millions of dollars of efficiencies for fleet operators. An added benefit is that by using Castrol Hypuron 15W-40, these operators have helped take hundreds of thousands of gallons out of the waste-oil stream.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Oil specs will be changing here shortly, for the 2017 engines on the HD side, one version will be retroactive compatable, one will not. Check out PC11 oil specs for 2017. 2013 had a shift to the mfgrs going to 10w30 synblends.
So, it will pay to read the label carefully in the future, on the diesel engine oil specs on the shelf.
Some of the propaganda on it;

https://mobildelvac.com/en/article/r...t-is-pc-11-oil
Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I see no issues running 0w-40 in the winter time. Especially if it the truck is parked outside. Makes it much easier on the internals when starting. As for what the dealer and warranty will say about it, that's a whole different thing. They tend to play by their rules and their rules only.

I am a journeyman heavy equipment tech. All the the engines i work on are either 12L or 15L. We do see the occasional ISB(6.7),ISC(8.3)OR ISL(9.0) in our customers trucks. A lot of our customers have went to a 5w-40 for winter time. I know a 6.7L in a pick up is not a 15L you find in a semi. But if you treat it right, it will keep going for years and years.

My personal opinion is to always run Shelol Rotella oil in a Cummins engine. That's what I run in my 91' 5.9L. I also only run Cummins/Fleetguard filters. Everyone has their own opinion on this specific topic but this is what I have found works best.

If it's under warranty, stick with what will make the dealer happy, just in case something does go wrong. (Knock on wood)

DR

Shell rotella goes in everything I own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Any of the high end truck oils that have gone through testing at Southern lab in Texas will keep every diesel engine running for upto 1 million Km. The testing is a $250,000 bill to determine the oils meet diesel engine spec. They are rated for all Cat, Detroit, Cummins etc etc A pick-up does not even come close to having wear and tear of a Kennworth or Peterbilt.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

DR
There was some temperature sensor in the exhaust system that failed. It was covered under warranty, which it should be.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Shell rotella goes in everything I own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with shell rotella.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:16 PM

That makes sense with the Service DEF warning. I was hoping it wasn't a dealer trying to make an extra buck off of you when nothing is wrong. Can never be cautious these days with dealers upselling every little thing possible to unsuspecting customers. Glad to hear it all worked out.

DR
Old 11-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
That makes sense with the Service DEF warning. I was hoping it wasn't a dealer trying to make an extra buck off of you when nothing is wrong. Can never be cautious these days with dealers upselling every little thing possible to unsuspecting customers. Glad to hear it all worked out.

DR
Thanks me to. Lol. Surprising enough I was even out of there by 10.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:52 PM

The Cummin's dealers don't mind the 5/40 but are not crazy about the 0/40. I'd only run a 0/40 if you're going to experience -30C to -45C temps and need to start your truck without access to a plug-in. If you do run the thinner oil make sure to change your CCV filter every 2nd oil change and use a synthetic filter. You can pretty much run the 5/40 year round.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 PM

The Cummins in the Ram trucks are shipped from the factory with Valvoline 5/40 synthetic in them. That's what I use year round.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Banned

The oil companies are brainwashing the average person to use this and that to make sales ... I ran a 305 chevy for 8 year's with 15-40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter ... the big no-no of mixing detergant and non detergant oil's ... half a litre of ATF before oil changes bacause she liked to use a little oil ... Fresh oil is the key !!!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
The oil companies are brainwashing the average person to use this and that to make sales ... I ran a 305 chevy for 8 year's with 15-40 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter ... the big no-no of mixing detergant and non detergant oil's ... half a litre of ATF before oil changes bacause she liked to use a little oil ... Fresh oil is the key !!!
oil companies could care less what grade of oil you use , as long as your using oil. they specify certain grades of oil for each engine so the flow rate through the engine is consistant. new cummins service interval is 21000km with rotella synthetic in a ram truck. its not the 70's old engine technology anymore. its not the dealers fault if you ignore the fluid requirements and it results in problems afterwards . put 10w30 in your mds hemi and see what happens .
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
oil companies could care less what grade of oil you use , as long as your using oil. they specify certain grades of oil for each engine so the flow rate through the engine is consistant. new cummins service interval is 21000km with rotella synthetic in a ram truck. its not the 70's old engine technology anymore. its not the dealers fault if you ignore the fluid requirements and it results in problems afterwards . put 10w30 in your mds hemi and see what happens .
Nothing will happen ... as long as an engine has fresh clean oil it will function properly and give you many year's of good service (disclaimer ) ... Please do not quote me anymore ... I made a mistake by voicing my opinion ... I know realialize that that the internal combustion engine has metamorphasized into a complex individual piece of aluminum and iron that must have synthetic oil to function properly because the scientific function of the crankshaft must coinside with the dual camshaft's witch must be angeled properly with your right foot to give the proper oil lubrication ...

Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Nothing will happen ... as long as an engine has fresh clean oil it will function properly and give you many year's of good service (disclaimer ) ... Please do not quote me anymore ... I made a mistake by voicing my opinion ... I know realialize that that the internal combustion engine has metamorphasized into a complex individual piece of aluminum and iron that must have synthetic oil to function properly because the scientific function of the crankshaft must coinside with the dual camshaft's witch must be angeled properly with your right foot to give the proper oil lubrication ...

sorry , i forgot what we were talking about