Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Default nikon monarch 4.5-14x42 w/ BDC

Have any of you guys used the nikon monarch 4.5-14X42 with the BDC reticle? They seem well priced. I have a set of nikon monarch 10x50 that i bought after the glowing reviews i read on here. How does this scope compare to a leopold vx3, or the Busnell 4200 line? I will obviously compare them all side by side before buying but thought ide see what you fellas have to say. How about the reticle? Is it as accurate as the zeiss version? (a friend has a conquest with the ballistic reticle and he raves about it).
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
sheephunter

Optically they are definitely up there with the 4200 but I'm not a fan of the BDC reticle. The big circles are not well designed for long range shooting. It's definitely not in the same league as the Rapid Z.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 PM

I have it in a 50 m objective and it is cryastal clear. it is mounted on a browning x 30-06. The BDC circles are alot less crowded in the reticle and a real pleasure to use.

If you go on the Nikon usa web site you can choose your reticle, scope and bullet brand and weight and it will give you the drop at each circle and is acurate.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM

I purchased a 4.5-16x42 Monarch last year over an equivalent VXIII. I just could not see the difference, so I opted to save $300 and went with the Nikon.

Having said that I could easily see the difference in quality between the Monarch scopes and the Bushnell Elites. No question in my mind that Nikon and Leupold are in the same class and the Elites are not close.

I don't have any experience with the BDC.
Good luck.