Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Default 223 brass from AR-15

i just got some federal brass that was fired out of an AR-15 and there was a couple things that i noticed about them, one is that there is a bulge above the case head that goes around approx 1/3 of the brass which you can see & feel, i resized a few and the brass have a ring/lip right above the case head on the bulge side now, not sure if this will be an issue or not, mabey shorter brass life or ????? the second issue was the case rims, some have very noticable bends in them from the extractor, others not so much, is there any potential issues with this or will they be ok once they are cycled through a bolt action or single shot?? Has anyone experienced or noticed this before? All input would be appreciated!!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 AM

SS
I got a bunch of free 223 brass that was shot out of a semi auto and by the time you sort through it and find the pieces that aren't dinged in some way, it just was not worth it to me.
I would not put any of it in my nice bolt rifles, esp with the price of new 223 brass. Hope you didn't have to buy that brass. FS
Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 AM

I've loaded lot's of military .223 brass and never had a problem.
Sounds like the brass was too soft, or the load wasn't suited for the rifle. Dump it.

Grizz
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM

got the brass for free, i havn't seen bulges on brass like that before, i wasnt sure if the type of rifle that caused this or not, pretty sure they were factory american eagles. Deifinately not reloads. Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Ultimately...it's your face behind the reciever when you pull the trigger .........I know what I'd do with it....my .02 only!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM

I have noticed the occasional bulged case heads when shooting Winchester white box .223 in my AR-15s cambered in 5..56mm.Doesnt seem to happen when i use surplus 5.56mm in those same rifles.
I also have a AR-15 cambered in .223 that the Winchester brass comes out in good shape when used.
My theory is the brass you have was fired from a 5.56mm chamber and the slightly bigger chamber allows this to occur.But i may be talking out my arse so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 PM

I bought a bag of once fired 223 from WSS in Calgary and it was all crap. It looked like it was shot out of a semi auto or something - the brass was dinged up etc...now I am picky, like Shortmag says, it's my face behind the bullet...