Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Default Muzzle loader bullets?

Has any one done extensive hunting with ML? I have hunted using 300grain xtp's with 150 grains of pyrodex in my Omega and have had great results with spot and stalk bears ( 100yds or less). I will most likely draw moose on the base this year and am looking for a bullet that has good performance on large game out to 200 yards. I have picked up some 250gr sst's that I will try on the range. Any personal preferences based on experience?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
sheephunter

250-grain SST is a great choice for moose.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm using the 250 gr SST with 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 powder, and like the accuracy. I haven't hunted with it yet, so can't vouch for its performance on game.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

everything i have killled with mine was with a 250 grain sst. they punch holes through animals that a gopher could run through. for a somewhat upscale bullet, they are cheap as well which means you can practice more so when your opportunity comes along you have the confidence to get it done. there are other good options available, but my gun seems to like them and they have worked well for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 PM

I used to run standard .50 cal roundball, but im pretty ol fasion that way. I tried the maxi balls and bore butter for a while but my long rifle didnt like em past 75 yards with the slow 1-66 twist. I guess them new fangled inline deals with them fancy bullets and funny smelling powder probably gets the job done in more ways than one. If memory serves the ol man used the maxi ball in his 54 tc renegade with great results. A 50 cal round ball in .490 weighs roughly 180 grains, and travels just over 2000 fps with 100 grains of FFF goex powder. After I smoked the face off my chonograph... I never again tried to chrony the conicals As far as performance, the roundball will be about the size of a quarter and penetrate quite well, even through bone. Sorry, just had to put my two cents in. I witnessed a black bear toppled by a 54 cal swaged minnie once... well placed shot in the bread box, but he nearly rolled right over, and died on the spot.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:29 PM

I have used round balls with patches in the past and did take a deer at 70yrds with it, there was a hole 1/2" in and 1/2" out. I don't have the confidence with the accuracy and killing power on a moose at longer ranges. I know, I know, back in the day they were all that you needed to kill gophers and Grizzlies
I think I will hunt with the 250gr SST if the accuracy is good at the range, and hopefully test them on a bear this spring
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 PM

I have tried lots of different lead for the muzzle stuffer, I have settled on the Barnes 250gr TMZ, have shot a couple good bucks the last 2 years with them and they worked perfect. The one from this fall was shot 1/4 towards me at 175 yards, drilled him between the onside front shoulder and brisket, it opened up and destroyed the insides, came to rest under the hide on the offside shoulder. 100% expansion, and retention. Petals were all in tact, and it was sharp to the touch. They shoot well out of my TC, and work well on game.