Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM

Default Lethbridge range closure/restriced firearms

Hello, I was wondering what will happen to those of us that own restricted firearms if the lethbridge range closes. It is my understanding that we are only allowed to own restricted firearms for target practice, but if the range closes we have no place to shoot or range to belong to. When I renewed my licence, I had to provide proof of range membership. Will we be forced to give up our restricted firearms? Or will I have to become a member of a range somewhere else to keep them? Will the govenment allow us to own them if we have no range or range membership somewhere else? I'm thinkn of joining the magrath rod and gun club.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM

I hope the guy responible for that stray bullet gets whats coming to him!! He's causing a ton of grief for shooters/non shooters alike!! Does anyone know what happened to the officer/or police in general from the last incident? Were they charged? Fired? I'm think they just said they were sorry and that was that!! Just curious
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM

you could go to magrath or some other range, but I dont think it will be closed for too much longer
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 AM

There are two legal reasons to own a Restricted Weapon in Canada, as a Collector & for Target Shooting. Being a Member of a Shooting Club means that you need to transport your Restricted Firearm & therefore require an Authorization to Transport. If you didn't need to Transport your firearms, you can still Leagally own them as a Collector. Hope this helps with your understanding.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:59 PM

While it's true that if you do not want to belong to a gun range you can simply be classified as a collector... but you should read up on what this gives the authorities in terms of inspection rights, and what you loose.

PM sent.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't get too worked up about the closure yet. I was there when the incident happened and the Cops showed up. They have since followed up with me and have indicated they will be finishing up their investigation quite soon and will be submitting it to the City Council. They have analyzed the trajectory of the bullet and are 100% positive the bullet did NOT come from the Lethbridge Range. Be patient. We should see the range being opened back up in the next little while.