Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Default Proposal that all firearms and ammunition be in separate locked cases while in a vehicle on all maintained roads

This has been put forward to SRD for proposed change in 2011. Can someone please get me the details on this including the party that proposed it? Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

It's from the Alberta Beef Producers.

They'd like to make criminals out of anyone that obeys the federal firearms laws...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Firearm Transport (ABP).PDF (32.9 KB, 196 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM

I'm PROBABLY wrong, but I think the storage of firearms in a non-hunting situation isn't (or perhaps shouldn't be) an SRD concern. That strikes me as a federal concern related to the Firearms Act.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 AM

If they make it so you it must be cased and locked while hunting, then I will be doing a lot of target practice. It was like when they brought out the no guns in the morning on a ATV up north. I worked in the bush and packed a shotgun for bears. The Fishcops liked to give us grief but we told them to pound it. Nothing they can do. Wrong application on the law. I will say I case my guns but to lock them and separately lock ammo seems a bit much.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

This is a joke. Soon they will tell us we cant hunt at all. We need to fight all of this BS before it is to late.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Funny thing is, I know a lot of beef producers who carry a gun at the ready to deal with coyotes. I can't see them changing their ways any time soon. If predator control is exempt, I could see a lot of coyote hunters happening accross deer.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what angle Alberta Beef has with this nonsense. This may actually negatively affect them as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what angle Alberta Beef has with this nonsense. This may actually negatively affect them as well.
The way I read it, they see this as a solution to illegal road hunting.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Yeah, but nearly every rancher and farmer has a gun in the truck for 'yotes. You think they're going to lock theirs up too?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM

I recall someone on the board recently asking why this group (Beef Producers) was included on that advisory board. I now see the wisdom of that initial scepticism.....

Last edited by Okotokian; 04-20-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM

lol, yeah, it does seem rather incongruous, but i guess we should include landowners in decisions that affect them.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The way I read it, they see this as a solution to illegal road hunting.
I don't know if that is the case or not Sheep, but man, I'm getting tired of people advocating that instead of dealing directly with a problem and the people who cause it, we are going to put onerous regulations on EVERYONE in hopes that it might stop the target behavior of the few. Gun laws, cell phones and driving laws, it just goes on and on and on.....
Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't know if that is the case or not Sheep, but man, I'm getting tired of people advocating that instead of dealing directly with a problem and the people who cause it, we are going to put onerous regulations on EVERYONE in hopes that it might stop the target behavior of the few. Gun laws, cell phones and driving laws, it just goes on and on and on.....
LOL...I had the same rant the other day Oko.....We already have laws to prevent or deal with all this stuff already so I'm not certain how people figure that more laws are going to help. I think we are over saturated with rules and regultions to the point where no one pays attention any more.

I can't see this one gaining any legs....hopefully!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...I had the same rant the other day Oko.....We already have laws to prevent or deal with all this stuff already so I'm not certain how people figure that more laws are going to help. I think we are over saturated with rules and regultions to the point where no one pays attention any more.
Well said sheep. My thought as well.It get to be to much after a while.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I think we are over saturated with rules and regultions to the point where no one pays attention any more
Yup.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Default No more beef!!

Guess I'll buy my beef from out of province from now on. If I can't find any, fair enough, I'll eat other meat. Next time we have a mad cow scare, too bad. I won't support these guys. Enough legislation. These guys are jack ass's.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelb View Post
Guess I'll buy my beef from out of province from now on. If I can't find any, fair enough, I'll eat other meat. Next time we have a mad cow scare, too bad. I won't support these guys. Enough legislation. These guys are jack ass's.
I hunt so I don't have to eat beef.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelb View Post
X2
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM

Perhaps a strongly worded letter to Rick McKnight outlining the fact that it would be difficult to support Alberta beef if they attempt to continue with this farce would help them realize that they are taking the wrong track.
Alberta Beef Producers
320, 6715 - 8th Street N.E.
Calgary, Alberta Canada
T2E 7H7

Telephone (403) 275-4400
Fax (403) 274-0007

abpfeedback@albertabeef.org
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM

It is irritating that this organization, the Alberta Beef Producers, paint us all with the same brush. I produce beef in Alberta, and have no affiliation with them. Their proposal just gets my back up.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM

This is another reason to stop giving my check off to the Alberta Beef Producers. It won't do anything to stop road hunting and will only result in a few tickets for guys getting pinched at a check stop for not having their ammo locked up. Almost every rancher I know carries a rifle in their truck or tractor. This definitely didn't come from the grass roots.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM

My brother was telling me that one of his farmer friends is quite satisfied if the junker pickup he buys every fall lasts through "coyote season". Apparently his idea of coyote hunting is to chase after them with a truck, then shoot when close? And these guys are concerned about hunters?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
Perhaps a strongly worded letter to Rick McKnight outlining the fact that it would be difficult to support Alberta beef if they attempt to continue with this farce would help them realize that they are taking the wrong track.
Alberta Beef Producers
320, 6715 - 8th Street N.E.
Calgary, Alberta Canada
T2E 7H7

Telephone (403) 275-4400
Fax (403) 274-0007

abpfeedback@albertabeef.org
I spoke with Rick last night and expressed my extreme displeasure with their proposal. I would suggest that if people have an opinion, voice it. I'm quite tired of being one of the few who do. Let Jim Allen know how you feel, let Mel Knight know, and let Stelmach know as well.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Well I sent an email to the Beef Producers first to find out what the deal is. Depending on their response I will start contacting the others.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM

I've sent them two letters in the last 24 hours haven't heard back.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

We got to find the rats who are behind this legislation, and have them reported in the media.

Any response from the AFGA yet???
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM

I sent my opinion to them. I don't suspect they'll get back to me.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Sent my two cents to Mr. Knight and to Alberta Beef Producers and Carbon Copied to the Wild Rose Alliance Party.

Maybe we should suggest some equally stupid legislation to SRD & Alberta Agriculture, such as; that due to the continued spread of CWD, a complete cull of ALL rumanids east of the 4th meridian should occur ASAP, of course with no compensation for any lost livestock.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchaga Hermit View Post
Sent my two cents to Mr. Knight and to Alberta Beef Producers and Carbon Copied to the Wild Rose Alliance Party.

Maybe we should suggest some equally stupid legislation to SRD & Alberta Agriculture, such as; that due to the continued spread of CWD, a complete cull of ALL rumanids east of the 4th meridian should occur ASAP, of course with no compensation for any lost livestock.
Now that would get a few guys to fill their boots