Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Default Gun Maintenance

Just wondering what everyone thinks best for gun cleaning. What solution, sprays, lubricants...all that jazz. Kinda new to the hunting and shooting thing so just open for some thoughts. I just have the little package deals that Outers sells with the lube, screw together rods, brushes and patches. Curious if I should be getting into some other cleaners and things. I think I will be getting a rest too for cleaning. Probably saves alot of headaches. Something along the lines of a MTM looks pretty idiot proof as Im not that harcore... Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Personally my favorite lubricant for any firearm is Miltec-1. I fell in love with the stuff in IRaq. Because you put it on and then it dries it doesn't allow dirt and grit to get caught and gum up your action. 10X better than CLP. As for bore cleaners I have used Outers Uncle Mikes, and hoppes gun cleaner. I still prefer the Miltec as any carbon build up just wipes off after the metal has been treated. I know you can find it in the States but am not sure about Canada. I imagine you could get it shipped.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM

is miltec-1 available at local shops??
Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 PM

http://www.militec-1.com/ You can order it from there. As for local shops I have no idea. You may have to go in and talk to them to see if they can order it. All I know is the stuff is amazing! My Platoon in Iraq swears by the stuff then and still does now.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:53 PM

A little "Wipeout" for starters, and if it needs more I use "Sweets" with bore mops. I always try to use a guide that seals the chamber, and a one piece cleaning rod. Use "Butch's Bore Shine" of you want to bother everyone in the house, that stuff is nasty!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm using the pellet system from across the pond for all my bores now. Love it !!...for a lube...strictly GS 96...and a Home brewed Ed's Red....for a bore cleaner I use Copper Gone....seems to do a thorough job too!...No issues whatsoever in the past 10 or so years!!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I just have the little package deals that Outers sells with the lube, screw together rods, brushes and patches
The first thing that you need to do is to throw that screw together rod away,and replace it with a good one piece rod like a Dewey.Those little multi piece rods flex and rub against the barrel which isn't a good thing.Also the aluminum rods get coated with aluminum oxide which is not a good thing to have in contact with a barrel.
Sweets works great for cleaning out powder residue and copper,and g-96 is a good lubricant and rust preventative,but I prefer FP-10 for a lube.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM

I love G-96. As for barrel cleaning I am still finding something I like. Lots to pick from.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 04-25-2010, 09:25 PM

I like Sea Foam Deep Creep and Fluid Film for general lube, and Hoppe's 9 for general powder fouling, and Sweet's or Shooters' Choice for copper and lead removal.

The think I like about the Fluid Film is that it is non toxic lanolin based, doesn't stink the whole place out after use. Just starting to use it though. The only problem i can see is the same problem as most other spray lubes-dirt and dust stickin to it.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' View Post
The only problem i can see is the same problem as most other spray lubes-dirt and dust stickin to it.
Another reason for Miltec-1! goes on wet dries and still lubricates without having to worry about crap sticken to it. If nothin else give it a try, you'll never go back!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Wipe out for bores, and some CLP for actions.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM

If you can find it Ballistol is awesome! Used it back home in ZA for yonks, could not find any around here until a mate of mine got me some from Germany, and so now I am back in business.

I use it to lubricate all the working parts b/c it wont gunk up, and then use Hoppes 9 amonia solvent to get the copper out of the barrel, once your patches comes out clean, (ie not blue) use a couple of dry patches and then another patch down the barrel with Balistol on again, if you dont your barrel will rust as the amonia solvent will do sweet blue bugger all as far as protecting from rust
Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 PM

Great products listed, not a bad one in there.

Get a bore snake. use it when the gun is hot' from firing. spray your favorite cleaner in the bore and snake it twice.

It saves a lot of time cleaning on a warm chamber than a cold one.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Get a bore snake. use it when the gun is hot' from firing. spray your favorite cleaner in the bore and snake it twice.

It saves a lot of time cleaning on a warm chamber than a cold one.
No bore snake will ever see the inside of the barrels of any of my rifles.I only use good quality one piece rods and bore guides.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Bore snakes work well in rimfire rifles. FS
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
If you can find it Ballistol is awesome! Used it back home in ZA for yonks, could not find any around here until a mate of mine got me some from Germany, and so now I am back in business.

I use it to lubricate all the working parts b/c it wont gunk up, and then use Hoppes 9 amonia solvent to get the copper out of the barrel, once your patches comes out clean, (ie not blue) use a couple of dry patches and then another patch down the barrel with Balistol on again, if you dont your barrel will rust as the amonia solvent will do sweet blue bugger all as far as protecting from rust
I was in Phoenix range the other day, for the first time in a few years.

They are carrying Roblasolo and Balistol. I always used to have a hard time getting it as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

I had a huge jug of CLP given to me and I use it all the time. As far as the bore is concerned check out the website 6mmbr accurate shooter.com and see what these fellows have to say about cleaning after shooting.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM

Default Gun Maintenance

I have pretty good luck with one piece rods, like a Dewey, Pacmayr jag, nylon brush, Butches Bore Clean or Shooters Choice Extra Strength copper cleaner. Barne's cleaner will make your eye's water but it works really good.

Most of the gun oils are pretty good, I've been using Butches gun oil.

For actions I've been having good luck with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, then oil.

Avoid WD-40. It has it's uses but guns are one of them.

It might be worth your money and effort to get it professionally done once in a while too, if you aren't comfortable with a full disassembly.

That's my thoughts for what they're worth
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Another reason for Miltec-1! goes on wet dries and still lubricates without having to worry about crap sticken to it. If nothin else give it a try, you'll never go back!
G-96 is the same, it has been around for a lot of years.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
No bore snake will ever see the inside of the barrels of any of my rifles.I only use good quality one piece rods and bore guides.
Why? I have one and if it's doing damage to my rifle I'd like to know.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Why? I have one and if it's doing damage to my rifle I'd like to know.
Do you wash it after every use to remove all of the debris,or do you keep passing the same debris through the barrel over and over again?With patches,I use a clean patch every time.Do you use a bore guide or muzzle protector?If not,how do you keep it centered so it doesn't rub unevenly on the chamber and muzzle?I pay good money for good quality barrels,so I do my best to do as little damage as possible while cleaning them.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Not trying to thread jack but do you guys do a full disassembly when cleaning and oiling the guns? I do it with the SKSes because of the corrosive ammo but I usually just clean the barrel and bolt of my other rifles.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Do you wash it after every use to remove all of the debris,or do you keep passing the same debris through the barrel over and over again?With patches,I use a clean patch every time.Do you use a bore guide or muzzle protector?If not,how do you keep it centered so it doesn't rub unevenly on the chamber and muzzle?I pay good money for good quality barrels,so I do my best to do as little damage as possible while cleaning them.
It's new and I only used it a few times, but you make a good point about cleaning it. Think I might invest in a rod and some patches.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It's new and I only used it a few times, but you make a good point about cleaning it. Think I might invest in a rod and some patches.
It's rare that I even use a brush anymore.With the right products,and regular cleaning,I seldom find it necessary to use a brush.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I use both rods and brushes and a bore snake. I guess I should qualify that a little more. I use a bore snake in the field on my .22 when shooting varmints when the barrel starts to get fouled. It comes in handy. But yes, on a more thorough clean I use patches, brushes and solvent on the end of a rod.

That being said, I find the bore snake is superior to patch brush and rod when cleaning shotguns for all purposes, wether it be for field or target use.

My bore snakes are always cleaned dried and hung vertically with a little weight on them to keep the fibers in the weave straight and true.

The fine thing about a bore snake is it can get you into a lot of trouble if you wash it with the woman's 'tighty whities'

For some reason that sets them on edge

I really don't believe using a bore snake equipped with bronze brushes will impact the lands in the rifling, or ruin bore concentricity. If it does, your barrel must be very soft... too soft for shooting and should have been made into paper clips instead.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I really don't believe using a bore snake equipped with bronze brushes will impact the lands in the rifling, or ruin bore concentricity. If it does, your barrel must be very soft... too soft for shooting and should have been made into paper clips instead.
I am less concerned about the actual boresnake material than I am about the abrasiveness of the contaminants that remain in the boresnake after cleaning your gun.I am not as convinced as you seem to be that you are removing all of these contaminants when you wash the bore snake.I pay for my barrels,and you pay for yours,so feel free to clean your barrels any way that you choose.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I am less concerned about the actual boresnake material than I am about the abrasiveness of the contaminants that remain in the boresnake after cleaning your gun.I am not as convinced as you seem to be that you are removing all of these contaminants when you wash the bore snake.I pay for my barrels,and you pay for yours,so feel free to clean your barrels any way that you choose.

Ok, that is a valid concern for you. If you can't get a bore snake clean enough, it is not the product a person should use. It all boils down to maintainance.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

juice i do the same, and for my shotguns it works incredibly well. i have done a side by side comparison (yes it was a side by side shotgun) and the bore snake achieved the same clean results as a rod/patch system in 1/4 of the time.

that being said....if i had paid thousands for my barrels etc..i can see how it may not be the ideal system.

does anyone use the otis systems?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM

For my rifles I use Amzoil engine cleaner first, then Wipeout, one piece rods, bore guides and patches.
kroil and G96 for the ations - Kroil is not a good lube, but it is a good penetrating oil.
For my shotguns I use Amzoil and bore snakes.
My rifles never have and never will see a bore snake, pull throughs have ruined many rifles , and thebore snake is just that.
I know that ATRS has hd to do some serious removal techniques on some that got torn off while in the barrel as well!.
As far as multi pice rods go, I had to remove one in a 22 mag that a fella brought over the ther night - it had unscrewed while he was trying to clean it.
I carry a multi piece in my hunitgn pack however, for emergencies like mud in a barrel or a stuck case, neitherof which a boresnake would be able to remove, but that is all.

Cat