Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Picked up a Marlin 917 VSF from Cabela's when they were on sale, heavy stainless fluted barrel, grey laminate stock. Put a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 3-9 x 40mm on it with Millet rings, Caldwell bipod. Bore sighted it, then went to the range and zeroed it at 50 yrds in 3 shots.....and then put the next ten into one ragged tear you could cover with a dime. Figured that was close enough, so put it out to 100 yrds and made a slightly larger 10 shot ragged hole, with one 'flyer' that was just my bad form. Very impressed with it overall, though I found the action a tad clunky. Its getting polished at Corlanes in Dawson, and the trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs. Also, the magazine is a bit of a pain, just doesn't slide in easy, you have to get a feel for it.

Looking forward to getting it back and going on our gopher safari May long weekend. Bringing all the rimfires for that one, plus the 870 Shottie to make dust clouds out of curious gophers, and the Hoyt VTec just to try out the small game blunts. They blow up soda cans at 30 yrds just like a 22 LR hollow point would, so as long as they stay a little still.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1780.JPG (54.4 KB, 22 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 AM

I shoot a 17hmr savage 93 Btvs thumbhole heavy barrel laminate/stainless with a a cheap pentax gameseeker 4x12x40 sighted in @ 100yrds on top mil dot. And it has a harris 11" to 23" bipod that when fully extended is perfect to me to rest gun while sittin on the ground. Am shootin federals load as can't find hornady 17 gr loads. Federal and hornady keep sames zero on paper. Have tested cci's tnt and remingtons aswell and all shoot the same 3/4 to 1" groups except for the tnt. Tnt opened up to almost 2" an shot low and left.