Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-23-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Scope questions

So I just bought a heavy barrel .223 and it’s going to be mostly a gopher/paper gun but will see some action on coyotes.

I’m wondering about scopes.... I’m thinking nothing over 12 power because it’s a .223 and not going to see extreme ranges in my hands. I am wondering about reticles and external (or not) adjustment features.

What would you buy, what are your experiences? I’m not as concerned with ideas in manufacturers as I am in physical features of the scope, pretty sure I’m still a Leopold man.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:08 PM

I like a 2.5-10 for coyote hunting. Mil dot reticle. Zero for max pbr. Hold over if needed or dial if there's time and distance is great.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 PM

I wouldn't want more than 3x for a minimum magnification, for close shots on running coyotes, but I like around 12-15x for shooting the heads off of ground squirrels at 200 yards, and for target use. I have 3-15x scopes on my varmint rifles, and all have duplex reticals and target turrets that lock.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Gophers are a tiny target and IMO, need higher magnification to make clean shots.
On the other hand, high magnification makes it more difficult to locate them in the scope. A balance is needed.
Just for reference, when the shots are getting longer than 250m, I pick up my gear and move closer. On a calm day 300m is my self imposed limit for an occasional shot.

I started out with a 4-12x on my 223. I found it to have not quite enough magnification for the longer shots. Target acquisition was excellent.

Went to a 4-16x. Liked it a lot. Really nice balance between magnification and target acquisition. Used the thick part of duplex reticle as a 2nd aiming point with a known range.

Now have a vx2 6-18x with LRV reticle. I really like the reticle. It gives me two extra aiming points that I know the range of, while not being too cluttered. I've got it dialed down just a smidge to fine tune the reticle to my load. The higher magnification is nice for shooting, but target acquisition is getting tough, especially on the closer shots. Sadly, this scope is out of production. Overall, I really like this scope.

If I was in your situation, I'd look for something with a 16x max and a ballistic reticle of some type.

For coyotes 3x or 4x is a decent minimum. 12x is plenty on the high side. IMO
Old 12-24-2018, 10:35 AM

On the longer range varmint rifles (22-250’s, 220 swift, 6mm rem etc) I like a 4.5-14x40 or similar. For a .223 I’m happy with a 2-7 or 3-9. Most guys seem to over scope their rifles so if you need the Hubble telescope to see a gopher at 250 yards my opinions worthless.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
So I just bought a heavy barrel .223 and it’s going to be mostly a gopher/paper gun but will see some action on coyotes.

I’m wondering about scopes.... I’m thinking nothing over 12 power because it’s a .223 and not going to see extreme ranges in my hands. I am wondering about reticles and external (or not) adjustment features.

What would you buy, what are your experiences? I’m not as concerned with ideas in manufacturers as I am in physical features of the scope, pretty sure I’m still a Leopold man.

I have a few Leupolds now and picked up a good old vx-1 thinking it's a Leupold, wont get used much, so it must be an upgrade even tho it's bottom end cheap. Got rid of it 3 months later because it wasn't great and bought a vx-2 LR that came up at a really good price. Slapped it on a 270 I use here and there for hunting. It is actually really good glass for the coin, much brighter than the 1, and I like Leupolds simple LR reticle versus many other manufacturers. Very little to choose between it and my vx-3i's for brightness that I can see. Maybe 15 mins after sunset.

No problem recommending it for a 223 gopher gun where 200 yds is starting to get out there. I don't need to see what color the gophers eyes are and the max 9x makes it a bit more of a challenge in the wind. I'd rather have a decently bright at 9x than a dimmer at 12 or 14x. I've since put a couple more on 17hmr's and have zero complaints.

As always the Leupolds are nice and light and compact. I like Nikon glass as well but my Monarchs are definitely heavier and longer than the Leupolds.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:50 PM

I’ve got a couple of SWFA HD’s on my Varmint rifles. They have good glass, track perfectly, and hold zero like grim death. And they are relatively inexpensive.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Depending on conditions, I like to have more power on a varmint gun scope. There are days when 12x is about all you can use, others when 20x or better is just fine. On the range, more power is always better on the bench, if it is a day you can use it on. And for gophers, it can help pick out the ones on the other side of a grass clump at a couple of hundred yards. Never hurts to make it as versatile as you can. 3-18 is reasonable, 5-25 isn't a bad choice either. I haven't looked to see who is making a higher powered scope with 1/8 clicks these days, but, I have a Nikon 6.5-20x40 that has that, and it is nicer to use when adjusting in wind. Doubt if I'd buy another Leupold after using it.