Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Default Paper patching ....

Anyone paperpatch there reloads ?

What's the point ? Slighter bigger od of round ? Increase velocity of lead bullets ?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:48 PM

They were originally used to reduce lead fouling with the "new high velocity ammunition" of the day. I believe it was also easier to make the straight sided bullets back then than ones with grease groves. They are no longer favored over the lubed projectiles these days.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:28 AM

Paper patching does work, its just labor intensive. I've tried it a couple times just for fun. Modern lubes are faster/easier.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:03 AM

I will admit to not being an expert on the subject, my experience comes from reading about it. It would appear that you can drive a soft ( pure lead ) at higher velocities than can be had from a lubricated bullet. I would recomend you read Paper Jacket by Paul Mathews.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 AM

Will paper patching help with increasing the OD of a bullet if necessary I wonder ? Just to help touch the rest of the rifling in this .....

old shot out 38-55 ..... I kinda inherited / fella doesn't want.

Gonna try and slug it today or tomorrow and see what it tells me.

And do you buy paper patches allready made or gotta make ?
Old 12-22-2018, 08:43 AM

I've been told receipt paper works great, when I did it I just used rolling papers. The glue strip made it easier. It took four or five layers to make up the 4 thou needed.
Theres a lot of good info online, I'm certainly no expert but does sound like a fun project. I'm thinking it won't take much to get it going, if I remember correctly most cast bullet retailers have oversized bullets for the 38-55 as its a common problem.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:49 PM

Default paper patching

a very good way to maximize bullet contact. It might be just the ticket for what you are doing with that old gun!
I paper patch a couple of guns, but both are old english sxs rifles that were originally designed for black powder. The black powder also "bumps up" the lead bullet to achieve perfect contact within the rifling.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:26 PM

hey just slugged it ...first time for everything .....

.381 "( prolly just the last 1/3 of the barrell ,lol)

So with patching - do i need to maybe just use the second die for belling the case mouth open on straight walled casing a little bit more than say regular jacketed bullets or so ??

if i tried patching .....
Old 12-22-2018, 05:55 PM

I used fired brass to load the PP bullets. I didn't resize the cases. I just flared them slightly to aid in getting the bullet into the case, and ran the loaded cartridge into the sizing die with the bullet seated to crimp the neck.

I also used a universal decaping die to get the spent primer out.

You don't want to press PP bullets into a case. You should be able to seat them by hand.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:10 PM

cool good stuff

andy from the bullet barn has been pretty helpful too .....

i just ordered the dies from him , hes sending me 60 brass thats been just pulled (handload mishap) but new, and gonna send me some sample 245 gr lead bullets that arent run thru his sizer or something so there gonna come out a bit bigger ...which hopefully is just perfect ..... whew ..hopefully dodge the casting my own ( never done ,would be another thread,lol)

then maybe they work maybe they dont and ill try the patching thing .....

thanks guys for the help and all , keep her coming lol,otherwise ill be pestring you in your PM boxes soon ...hehehe
Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Default paper patching

I found lots of good help on the "Accurate Reloading" forum. Lots of video links and such to show the actual process (which is extremely easy BTW). Helpful tips on how to measure the patches, types of paper, and lubricants.
Paul Mathew's book The Paper Patch, is probably the best source of all-around information.