Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And many people that pay $13k for a rifle, cant be bothered to spend the time loading their own ammunition. If you had the time to do your own loading, you would probably have a custom rifle built for half the price, and develop your own loads.
Oh don’t get me wrong, the info they give you definitely isn’t free lol
Old 12-21-2018, 03:37 PM

If your Nulas were Left Handed I would feel bad about not getting a crack at them before you traded them off but since they are wrong sided no big deal. Not sure I could ever let go of my Nula, no matter what else I wanted to buy. There are a lot of guns I would be willing to part with long before Melvin's master piece left the rack. In fact, it could easily be the last one left in the rack if I had no choice but to go down to just one.

That said, congrats on picking a great LR rifle in a very competent Cartridge. I hope it does absolutely everything you want it to. Don't let the naysayers ruin your Zen. It's your money, do whatever the heck you want with it.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:48 PM

Congrats on the new rifle coming Kurt!
Excellent choice, I have looked at them as well but at the moment out of my price range. I think you will love it. And as much as it pains me to admit it 7mag is a excellent choice.
I too have been down the path of what do I need now, or I will one day find the one!
Not yet anyway.
I think my next one will be a Barrett FieldCraft in 25-06
But by the time I save the cash, something else might come up.,l
Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Oh don’t get me wrong, the info they give you definitely isn’t free lol
Given how long it generally takes me to work up a load, it likely amounts to over $500 per hour, that I save by doing my own load development. Given that they likely spend a lot less time , because they do multiple rifles at a time, and do the same spec rifles time after time, it probably works out to $1000 per hour for them. They make a lot of extra cash selling the package with load details.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Banned

In the end it’s just another gun for me to play with. It seems no matter the rifle, I just like to buy it, break in the barrel, developed a sub MOA load for it then sell it. I’ve had a few higher end rifles like Coopers or Sakos, and now Nula’s, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them other than the fact I wanted to try something else. I have my “The one” gun, my m70 featherweight, I know if all else fails I can take it out and kill whatever I shoot at within 500yds without a ballistic reticle or having to adjust a turret. It’s a meat and potatoes gun that I know like the back of my hand.

I don’t need to use Gunwerks ammo, I’ve got all winter to make my own and spending quality time at the cabin burning powder is just an added bonus.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Banned

Hey Kurt I think they include the shooting school too
Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM

Is Gunwerks using Defiance actions or what kind are they?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Banned

They make their own action now
Proof uses them for their rifles though
Old 12-21-2018, 05:03 PM

That's awesome Kurt, nothing like trying different things, if a person has the funds,,, then why not.

I do the same thing with OHV's trucks and traveling,,, who wants to get bogged down to the same old,,, same old. Of course my hunting partner shut me down from changing things up at my end.

Ha.

Like he said, "why would I need to change things in my shooting sports if the mid-core junk is working. LOL.

Every rifle I own will out shoot me every day,,, not on the good shooting days that is. Ha.

Life comes at us fast, nothing like finding the nitch that makes life full 👍
Old 12-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your trying to compare a Ferrari to a civic with an exhaust?
Do whatever you need to do to convince yourself your smarter than everyone else. I’m pretty sure this won’t be a safe queen. You should be happy for Kurt
lol, I have the same affliction, I had an early gunwerks 7rm, by the time it got through the ffl and up to me I think it saw so many rounds I vowed to never import another rifle, they held on to my rifle way too long, the copper fouling was so bad it couldn’t have been sent that way from gunwerks, couldn’t get it to shoot, Henry rebarreled to 300wm for me and no prob 3” groups at 520 with factory ammo, federal 180 accubonds by recollection

I think that won’t be an issue going forward as it’s not a super new thing. I sold it after I got it shooting and that’s the end of that. I definitely got into the gunwerks thing at one point, not hard.

We are gear junkies, Kurt won’t have it for too long either before he tries something new, I’m sure he’s not offended. He’d tell me if so. I do think it’s great that he’s happy and these new gunwerks do look pretty slick, far better than the early versions.

And the final thing since it sure seems the same similarity is if I have to ignore one of your personalities here I better ignore the others. This is number two lol, won’t take long till another pops up I’m sure.

All the best😂

P.s. which of the mods are you friends with? Seems to be something going on there for you to still be here so easily.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Banned

Serious question. What will the gunwerks do that the nula won’t? Or a rmr for that matter.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Serious question. What will the gunwerks do that the nula won’t? Or a rmr for that matter.
What will any gun do that another gun won’t? I have a Savage Axis 243 that shoots .3’s with my 90gr accubond load. That don’t mean I want to pack around a Savage Axis next hunting season. It’s the Ferrari/Civic thing. I had an opportunity to move from a corvette to a Ferrari and I took it. The best part is I didn’t have to dig into my wallet to do it, so why not?

Just because it shoots bullets like other guns, it doesn’t mean they’re the same. There are a bunch of things the Gunwerks rifles have that others don’t, I’m not going to get into it, but if you do choose to look into it, and if you ever get the chance to put one in your hands, you’ll see the difference. I know I did. I went into the store looking to buy a new Christensen and mad the mistake of holding one, that’s all it took. I had no idea how much it cost but I knew I liked it.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully a really big smile when you see that target swaying at a new personal best distance.
Honestly not sure. They are all kinda different purpose builds
Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
What will any gun do that another gun won’t? I have a Savage Axis 243 that shoots .3’s with my 90gr accubond load. That don’t mean I want to pack around a Savage Axis next hunting season. It’s the Ferrari/Civic thing. I had an opportunity to move from a corvette to a Ferrari and I took it. The best part is I didn’t have to dig into my wallet to do it, so why not?

Just because it shoots bullets like other guns, it doesn’t mean they’re the same. There are a bunch of things the Gunwerks rifles have that others don’t, I’m not going to get into it, but if you do choose to look into it, and if you ever get the chance to put one in your hands, you’ll see the difference. I know I did. I went into the store looking to buy a new Christensen and mad the mistake of holding one, that’s all it took. I had no idea how much it cost but I knew I liked it.
Will it shoot smaller groups? I’m dead serious. I don’t know. The Christensen is guaranteed 1/2 moa. That’s pretty impressive in my books. Will the gunwerks guarantee smaller groups.

I do understand Ferrari vs civic thing and I was told as a guide you are better off having better gear then your client.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
lol, I have the same affliction, I had an early gunwerks 7rm, by the time it got through the ffl and up to me I think it saw so many rounds I vowed to never import another rifle, they held on to my rifle way too long, the copper fouling was so bad it couldn’t have been sent that way from gunwerks, couldn’t get it to shoot, Henry rebarreled to 300wm for me and no prob 3” groups at 520 with factory ammo, federal 180 accubonds by recollection

I think that won’t be an issue going forward as it’s not a super new thing. I sold it after I got it shooting and that’s the end of that. I definitely got into the gunwerks thing at one point, not hard.

We are gear junkies, Kurt won’t have it for too long either before he tries something new, I’m sure he’s not offended. He’d tell me if so. I do think it’s great that he’s happy and these new gunwerks do look pretty slick, far better than the early versions.

And the final thing since it sure seems the same similarity is if I have to ignore one of your personalities here I better ignore the others. This is number two lol, won’t take long till another pops up I’m sure.

All the best😂

P.s. which of the mods are you friends with? Seems to be something going on there for you to still be here so easily.
Hmmm so your thinking someone took your rifle and used it, put it back in the box and sent it to you? You didn’t send it back to them to get it taken care of? For such a big investment I’m sure I would be getting it covered under warranty. I guess not all of us are rich.

The great thing about this is everyone is free to choose what’s best for them. That’s what makes it interesting.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:00 PM

You always know the depth of someone’s firearms knowledge when they talk group size.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Will it shoot smaller groups? I’m dead serious. I don’t know. The Christensen is guaranteed 1/2 moa. That’s pretty impressive in my books. Will the gunwerks guarantee smaller groups.

I do understand Ferrari vs civic thing and I was told as a guide you are better off having better gear then your client.
I don’t know if it’ll shoot smaller groups, I haven’t shot it yet. What I do know is I like the stock a lot more, it feels way more natural to shoulder than the Christensen did I know that. It has a carbon fiber stock and titanium action, something you don’t get with the Christensen until you get into the Summit TI. Their motto is “1000yds right out of the box”, that’s a fairly robust claim, I’m sure they’ll do whatever it takes to make sure they produce a rifle capable of doing it. They say they test every single rifle before shipping it out, I hope to find out soon.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You always know the depth of someone’s firearms knowledge when they talk group size.
And you can tell the size of someone’s ego by their attitude online
Old 12-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
And you can tell the size of someone’s ego by their attitude online
So true.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you wake up in the morning a say " Charlie I'm gonna be a ring bit" or does it come naturally?
Old 12-21-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Do you wake up in the morning a say " Charlie I'm gonna be a ring bit" or does it come naturally?
Well, no, because that’s not my name. I do wonder who will threaten to break my fingers and knock out my teeth though. Some things are sooooo predictable.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, no, because that’s not my name. I do wonder who will threaten to break my fingers and knock out my teeth though. Some things are sooooo predictable.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to threaten you. You're such I likeable plug. Seems weird.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to threaten you. You're such I likeable plug. Seems weird.
You have.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
You have.
Bull****. How you figure?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Bull****. How you figure?
Uh oh. Laughing.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Uh oh. Laughing.
Anyways Chuck I'm glad you can laugh about it. Picking up chicklets with broken fingers don't sound like much fun. It would be a heckuva way to start the new year but you've gotta admit that you'd be the superstar of the church choir singing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth". Have a merry Christmas to your and your family.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Banned

If ya can’t beat em with words then use your hands eh? Welcome back to junior high.

Astounding what the mods let happen here.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I don’t know if it’ll shoot smaller groups, I haven’t shot it yet. What I do know is I like the stock a lot more, it feels way more natural to shoulder than the Christensen did I know that. It has a carbon fiber stock and titanium action, something you don’t get with the Christensen until you get into the Summit TI. Their motto is “1000yds right out of the box”, that’s a fairly robust claim, I’m sure they’ll do whatever it takes to make sure they produce a rifle capable of doing it. They say they test every single rifle before shipping it out, I hope to find out soon.
I really hope it works out for you. I can't afford the gunwerks but ive been on the fence about a rmr. It would sure be something to reach out 1000 yds and ring steel consistently.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
If ya can’t beat em with words then use your hands eh? Welcome back to junior high.

Astounding what the mods let happen here.
Coming from the guy who’s crying to the mods?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Banned

Guys, it’s just a carbon barrel, it’s not even a Creedmoor!!!!

I already changed my mind on the scope, I just can’t warm up to Swarovskis colored dots, plus I wanted a 30mm tube with more moa adjustment since it’s going to be used for long range.