Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Looking to purchase a new toy...chime in fellas

A few years back when times were a little tougher I had bought a Rem 710 in a 30.06 I will blame that decision on having an ultra slim pocket book and very little gun knowledge. I love the calibre but would like to purchase a better gun.
The last few months work has been pretty good to me, had a buch of OT & I sold a rope horse I trained. Now I am thinking it is time to upgrade. My wife is rolling her eyes but is willing to let me splurge. In addition to a new rifle I would like to add a Muzzle loader to my arsonal.
So with all that out in the open here is one of my thoughts:
Rem 700 SPS Stainless in a 300win M and a TC Triumph 50 cal front stuffer. I know a few fellas with the 700 sps and they claim its a pretty good rifle for the $$ I also know one fella with the Triumph and he LOVES it
My second thought is to buy a TC Encore and purchase the second barrel. Not sure if I want a single shot rifle but seems to work for alot of them on Wild tv.
I would love to hear from you fellas what would you do. I am wide open to talk about other options/opinions on guns, brands, cal etc. I mostly hunt Deer but plan to try my hand at Bear, Moose and Elk in the near future. I know I said I liked the 30.06 cal but feel I may get a little flatter shooting out of a 300mag rifle.
Ok guys help me out here, My wifey says too make the best decision possible she don't want me un-happy with my new toys and trying to replace them in the near future like I am doing with my 710.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Default NEw rifle

I'm not a Remington fan myself, but on another forum I seen a mint Remingtion m700 SPS stainless camo (MOBU) with detachable clip in 30-06and Talley mounts for a good price. Less than 30 rounds. Asking $700

Nothing wrong with a 30-06 with good bullets (180gr Accubonds would be my choice). I dont have a 30-06 but have a 300WM and a couple 270WSM's.

I love my 300WM and wouldnt sell it. The 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds performance on big game (elk, moose, bears, deer) has been very impressive. Might be another caliber to consider.

I'm a Sako m75 fan and my Tikka T3's have been great shooters too.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

my vote tikka, go for middle of 30-06 and 300 win mag and get the 7 rem mag...some awesome bullets for 7mm super high bc stuff for long range shooting....270 wsm seems very popular but i think bullet selection of the highest bc stuff is still 7mm....to get similar bc's out of 30 cal you gotta go up to 210 grain stuff then the velocity is reduced

i went .270 with mine and very happy, talley lightweight rings, leupy ultralight 3-9x33 on tikka syn/stainless goes right near 7 lbs even all in...very mountain packable if thats your thing...

hth, good luck
Old 10-16-2008, 09:40 PM

i have a 700 SPS in 300 win mag. the calibre is very well rounded. you can still get 150 grain shells right off the shelf, and can reload up to 230 grain (i think.) i have had some problems with the gun, had to midify the bolt, replace the extractor and free float the barrel to get it to shoot properly. pretty dissapointed in that... but now it is a dream gun. check out tika next time your on the gun shop, they are VERY nice.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:34 PM

If you're into "black guns" you may like something like this...

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM

I have had all sorts of calibers and finally ended up listening to a friend and bought a tika t3 in 7mm and love shooting it, very accurate with factory ammo but if you reload even better, I'm not a very big guy but could easilly blast off 20-30 rounds at the range on a sunday afternoon and be ready for more.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Thumbs up 300 wsm

well if i had my way tika t3 300wsm shoot 150-165 nosler ballisitc tips you cant go wrong so flat and carrys a nice puch out to 400 plus yards
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 PM

I've had many different calibers and have finally settled in on a Weatherby ultralightweight 280. Best gun/caliber I've owned. Top that baby with a 4-12 Swaro and you'll be set for life. If the ot has been that good do yourself a favor and follow suit. You will not be disappointed!!

You may not have any cash left for the blackpowder gun but who cares!!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 PM

I would see if i copuld shoot the type of single shot you are intending to buy before hand, just to be sure you want to own one -but for the life of me I cannot fathom the though of someone NOT wanting a single shot rifle!!
The reason I say this , is because most guys figure they are cool rifles ( they are) and a single shot tends to make you aim more carefully ( they do) , but they cannot get away from the " What happens if i need the sedond shot"
syndrome!
They can be reloaded quickly, can be made to shoot accurately, and have a very short overall length to boot!However, they are like Chesapeke bay retrievers, they are not for everybody.
I figured I'd better warn you in case you do like them, then you're on your own!
Cat
Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 PM

TD,
I too had a Rem 710 in .270 cal not because I wanted one , but because buddy was short on cash. One of the most accurate rifles I ever shot and I've shot most of them. Now with that said I would never buy one again just because of the plastic feel and the lousy sloppy bolt action. You cant go wrong with the 30-06 for all game , you can load it up for elk and moose and load it down for deer / pronghorn etc. I like the wood , I'd be buying another Rem, 700 BDL , no need to buy another gun, but we do just because , right ? wifey will understand ...... ]

Straight shootin
Ruger4
Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
-but for the life of me I cannot fathom the though of someone NOT wanting a single shot rifle!!
It must work both ways, 'cause I really don't see any appeal whatsoever in any type of 'singleshot' rifle... always thought they were just cheapo zip-guns for the economically challenged, or toys for the overly pretentious.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

For the money I dont feel that the weatherby vanguard can be beat, especily if you are contemplating a magnum, the 24 inch barrel is a little long for my tastes in the standard calibers.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM

The 300 is just a 30-06 with more powder behind it.
If I were you keep the 30-06 or move up to the next larger bullit
338 mag . You can still shoot deer with it and larger big game .
Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 PM

I agree with Cal...I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WM and it shoots great and the price is right.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Well, everybody loves a Remington, and for good reason. Accurate, most available aftermarket stuff, etc. However, if you are looking for a classy, dependable accurate rifle, my bet would be to try out a CZ 550. Excellent workmanship and quality, a bit more money than a Vanguard, but well worth it.Comes with a single set trigger. I have one in 30-06 and I stick to 180 gr. Accubonds and partitions for hunting, and speers or Sierras for plinking. Great rifle.A bit on the hefty side weight wise ( with walnut), but this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it tones down the recoil a bit.One more thing regarding the Vanguard, I picked one up in .223 for `yotes, and it has the *****tiest factory trigger I`ve tried yet.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' View Post
Well, everybody loves a Remington, and for good reason. Accurate, most available aftermarket stuff, etc. However, if you are looking for a classy, dependable accurate rifle, my bet would be to try out a CZ 550. Excellent workmanship and quality, a bit more money than a Vanguard, but well worth it.Comes with a single set trigger. I have one in 30-06 and I stick to 180 gr. Accubonds and partitions for hunting, and speers or Sierras for plinking. Great rifle.A bit on the hefty side weight wise ( with walnut), but this is not necessarily a bad thing, as it tones down the recoil a bit.One more thing regarding the Vanguard, I picked one up in .223 for `yotes, and it has the *****tiest factory trigger I`ve tried yet.
x2 on the CZ. At least look at one one before you decide.

I own one and I plan to pass it down to a younger hunter when I can no longer bend my index finger. The trigger is excellent and the action is solid. It is a bit heavier but worth the extra weight in gold. My father in law just bougt one in .308 and loves it.