Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Default Legal Shotgun Mag capacity?

I am new to big game shotgun huntin and would like to unplug my 1960's Stevens shotguns mag from its current capacity of 2 shells up to 5 for my upcoming bear hunt and I read the entire regs front for back over a dozen times in the last year and cant find whats legala nd whats not now...

As far as i can figure there is or used to be a law restricting the mag to 2 for bird hunting... and im curious to get some info out since i have only used this shotgun and others like it out at the range on the odd clay many years ago.
So if someone could let me know the deal on shotgun mags and the law, that'd be great. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 PM

A total capacity of 3 when hunting birds,when after big game the capacity rules are the same as a rifle
Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 PM

So 5 cap mag when after any big game? and the 2 mag bird law still in effect eh? Thats what I was figuring. Thanks for the confirm...
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 AM

8 or 9 or whatever for a pump. Pull the plug for bears. If you had a semi auto then max is 5. And yes birds is 2 in the mag, max 3 when loaded.
Same as a rifle. you can have a 20 shot clip on a bolt gun if you could find one, but if its semi auto then pinned at 5. Except M1's then you can use 8. 22's are exempt from this and you can have a semi 22 with a 50 round drum if you want.
Have fun.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
8 or 9 or whatever for a pump. Pull the plug for bears. If you had a semi auto then max is 5. And yes birds is 2 in the mag, max 3 when loaded.
Same as a rifle. you can have a 20 shot clip on a bolt gun if you could find one, but if its semi auto then pinned at 5. Except M1's then you can use 8. 22's are exempt from this and you can have a semi 22 with a 50 round drum if you want.
Have fun.
M1's still require a 5 round limit for hunting, the Federal rule on mag capacities is exempt on the M1, but for hunting in Ab. there is no such caveat.
I have 3, five round enblocs specific to this Alberta hunting requirement.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM

For shotguns:

IF you are hunting birds, your gun cannot hold more than 3.

IF you are hunting bears or big game, there is no limit to what your gun can hold, unless it is a semi auto which is limited to 5.