Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Looking to purchase a new toy...chime in fellas

A few years back when times were a little tougher I had bought a Rem 710 in a 30.06 I will blame that decision on having an ultra slim pocket book and very little gun knowledge. I love the calibre but would like to purchase a better gun.
The last few months work has been pretty good to me, had a buch of OT & I sold a rope horse I trained. Now I am thinking it is time to upgrade. My wife is rolling her eyes but is willing to let me splurge. In addition to a new rifle I would like to add a Muzzle loader to my arsonal.
So with all that out in the open here is one of my thoughts:
Rem 700 SPS Stainless in a 300win M and a TC Triumph 50 cal front stuffer. I know a few fellas with the 700 sps and they claim its a pretty good rifle for the $$ I also know one fella with the Triumph and he LOVES it
My second thought is to buy a TC Encore and purchase the second barrel. Not sure if I want a single shot rifle but seems to work for alot of them on Wild tv.
I would love to hear from you fellas what would you do. I am wide open to talk about other options/opinions on guns, brands, cal etc. I mostly hunt Deer but plan to try my hand at Bear, Moose and Elk in the near future. I know I said I liked the 30.06 cal but feel I may get a little flatter shooting out of a 300mag rifle.
Ok guys help me out here, My wifey says too make the best decision possible she don't want me un-happy with my new toys and trying to replace them in the near future like I am doing with my 710.