Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Eyeswideshut

Default Defense

I'm looking for a fairly portable shotgun that will fit nicely into a quad box or lightweight to carry, that will only be used for unexpected bear occurrences and is capable of firing slug or 00. I have been looking at the 12ga defenders with the aftermarket foldable stocks, but am having mixed feelings cause they are rifled for slugs. Does anyone have a recommendation or insight on whats a good model for the price. Or whats better slug only?

Thanks

Jason
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Check this thread

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=18962

Similar question
Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Eyeswideshut

Thanks for the reply, I really like that Grizzly SG with the 5mag clip, saves shell ejection when not needed.

Will have to keep my eyes open here on whats available,.. I see some places have free shipping.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

I used to pack a slug gun when supervising large forestry crews in BC areas where Grizzlies were numerous; I was a student then and could not afford the cost of a good rifle. I would find a solid Rem. 870, take it to my dad's plumbing shop and whack the bbl. off at 19", use it all season and sell it in the fall for college beer money.

I have used 870s, Mod. 12s, Mod 97s and various others, including my presenst Benelli Nova. For a new pump, I would buy a Benelli Super Nova Tactical for your purposes, but, that may be more than you want to spend for this type of gun.

The "best" bet, IMHO, is to find an older Rem. 870 chambered in 2.75", one from the '50s to late '80s, these can be found in minty shape quite cheaply. I prefer the older, quite slim ringed forestock and put on a Decelerator or Limbsaver at an inch shorter than your usual stock length, I like 12.5-13" for quick handling.

Then buck off the bbl. to 19", pull the mag. plug and install some basic sights, sight in with 2.75" BRENNEKE slugs, NOT cheap, soft American Foster-style and this will also shoot buckshot for certain "varmints".

You can do all of this cheaply at home and you will find these older 870s to be reliable, light to pack and accurate enough for close range self defence.

I don't like Defenders as they are hard to control under recoil and they have an alloy receiver, which is something I detest on any gun. I have seen people trying to shoot those pistol gripped Defenders and most of them would have been better off with a slingshot.

If, you practice by tucking the 870 butt TIGHTLY under your armpit, you can become quite deadly up to 25-30 yds. and that is all you really need. This is far better than ANY handgun and less hassle to keep on your quad or in your rig.

HTH, this worked well for me for several years.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Eyeswideshut

Thanks,..

I shot a pistol gripe a couple weeks ago and my wrist didn't like it,.. especially the awkward pumping for the next shots.

Right now I am looking at the Dominion Grizzly and the Maverick, which I heard about in the spring,.. local store has the stock style defender I might check out again.