Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 PM

Default Cattle Pasture Rates this summer

Just wondering what folks are either charging or paying for pasture for cow/calf pairs this summer.

Fences fixed by land owner, salt provided by livestock owner.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_of_6 View Post
Just wondering what folks are either charging or paying for pasture for cow/calf pairs this summer.

Fences fixed by land owner, salt provided by livestock owner.
Nothing here, unless we get rain, my pastures are brown and the dugouts are mud.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 AM
Banned

My neighbor is getting 35 bucks. A lease by Sundre (County) just renewed for 45 which seems pretty high. We trade for a beef every year.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 AM

This website has rates for previous years. Not sure about this year with the drought.

Sig

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sdd12591
Old 05-18-2016, 10:24 AM

Central/East Central $1.20-1.35/Day average, Hutts bidding up to $1.65 in select areas.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Water and Grass around Spirit River and Peace river are actually in very good shape. Dugouts are full and grass is up and green.

I understand the 1.35/pair price, so how many cattle would one expect to put on 160 acres of Alfalfa in the peace country, and what is the grazing capacity of bush pastures. What I am specifically trying to figure out is what 160 acres of pasture and 480 acres of bush, with three large dugouts, cross fenced, all in one block. What would that rent for in dollars a year in the Spirit River area?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Water and Grass around Spirit River and Peace river are actually in very good shape. Dugouts are full and grass is up and green.

I understand the 1.35/pair price, so how many cattle would one expect to put on 160 acres of Alfalfa in the peace country, and what is the grazing capacity of bush pastures. What I am specifically trying to figure out is what 160 acres of pasture and 480 acres of bush, with three large dugouts, cross fenced, all in one block. What would that rent for in dollars a year in the Spirit River area?

I could fill you with yearlings if you like.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 PM

I've seen just as much busted looking pasture as I have good looking. Grasshoppers could be bad news again this year. This is in the peace river area...supposed to have some big rain starting any minute now.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Quick and dirty math!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Rule of thumb is .25 AUM per acre on bush pasture and 1.0 AUM per acre on cleared pasture.

3 bush quarters would be 120 AUM
1 Cleared quarter would be 160 AUM
total AUM 280 AUM

At a rate of $1.25 per head per day
$1.25 x 30 days in a month = $37.50 per AUM
280 AUM X $37.50 per AUM = 10,500$

That being the numbers not looking at the pasture.
If there were 60 pairs of cow/calfs that came in on June 1, they would be grazing until September 20th.

So if your pasture can support the 60 pairs, there are the numbers.

You can change the day rate and do the math as it fits your area.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:45 AM

PA of 6

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
This website has rates for previous years. Not sure about this year with the drought.

Sig

Thanks good to know.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:16 PM

My FIL is charging $1.20/day/ per pair
Old 05-23-2020, 08:58 AM

Thought I would bump this and see what the range is for this year.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM

Default $1 a day is easy to calculate

Also I lease to a neighbor who is also a friend who helps me out if I need big equipment I cant justify owning for once a year use. He also looks after all fences, posts when required and has actually seeded and fertilized parts of the quarter and disc with us splitting costs on a new piece of pasture from former crop land.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 AM

I’m still paying a dollar per pair
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 AM

I ask 1.15 with water and they look after the fence Caroline area
Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 AM

In the south its way higher. Depends on how many cows you have if your paying for pairs. Example some if they have the water prefer a lot of pairs at once so they have their money and there done with it for the year. That sucks to because its more trucking than if you hauled a few and grazed all summer.
Some do it by the acre. No written agreement,you pay up front and the land owner tells you when to come and when you have to leave.
Don't matter how you do it but you can end up spending $2 a pair and fencing and maybe even hauling water besides. You don't really know if you have the grass one year or the next. Its really not worth it.

What's the deal with northern community pastures? Why are they not utilized? Southern guys claim the grass is soft and southern cows won't do well up there. But why are locals not utilizing the grass?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:44 AM

I am still in an odd situation hence the reason I ask.

I bought my 1/4 about 5 years ago.

The quarter south of me is owned by the elderly mom of the guy I bought it from.

I have the cleared 1/4 with the dugout. The other quarter is about 60% light bush with no water.

The guy I bought from and his parents had a long standing agreement with their cousins (I think) to graze both quarters. As a result, the south fence is down and in rough shape. Over the last 5 or so years, average has been about 40-50 pair for the combined 1/2 section.

If I was to tell them no cows then I would by default force them to fence the south boundary or cut the old lady off from the little income it generates. I have guilt of potentially impacting the old lady so every year they ask and I begrudgingly say OK.

For this year they proposed $0.93/AUM with half to me and half to the old lady - same arrangement for the past 5 years. For me this works out to $0.465/AUM. They maintain and repair all fences but the reality is most are in functional but aged condition.

Just venting a bit I suppose. I actually want what is best for the land. I reckon the cows help keep the brush down and provide free fertilizer but they also seem to destroy what little bush/tree stands I do have, leave hillocks etc.

A bit of money is always welcome but it really is not that much in the end.

Last edited by CMichaud; 05-26-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM

read the line fence act of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post

The quarter south of me is owned by the elderly mom of the guy I bought it from.

I have the cleared 1/4 with the dugout. The other quarter is about 60% light bush with no water.

The guy I bought from and his parents had a long standing agreement with their cousins (I think) to graze both quarters. As a result, the south fence is down and in rough shape. Over the last 5 or so years, average has been about 40-50 pair for the combined 1/2 section.

If I was to tell them no cows then I would by default force them to fence the south boundary or cut the old lady off from the little income it generates. I have guilt of potentially impacting the old lady so every year they ask and I begrudgingly say OK.

For this year they proposed $0.93/AUM with half to me and half to the old lady - same arrangement for the past 5 years. For me this works out to $0.465/AUM. They maintain and repair all fences but the reality is most are in functional but aged condition.

Just venting a bit I suppose. I actually want what is best for the land. I reckon the cows help keep the brush down and provide free fertilizer but they also seem to destroy what little bush/tree stands I do have, leave hillocks etc.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:53 AM

Question Spitballing ideas

Quote:

I have guilt of potentially impacting the old lady so every year they ask and I begrudgingly say OK.

I actually want what is best for the land. I reckon the cows help keep the brush down and provide free fertilizer but they also seem to destroy what little bush/tree stands I do have, leave hillocks etc.
That is a heavy problem.
Depending on the location of the dugout and the bush/tree stands, could you cross fence your quarter to allow access to water while still protecting some of the trees?

Or, what about electric fencing to protect some of the bush/tree stands? Battery powered units with solar chargers are quick to install and easy to remove once the cattle are gone.

Cost will be a factor, but if they want to maintain access to the dugout, you should be able to reach an amicable agreement.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-26-2020, 12:43 PM

It’s your land, previous agreements mean nothing. If you don’t want cattle on it let them know. The other guy can dig their own dugout. Shared fences are a bad idea with bulls on both sides. Your also getting ripped off on what they’re paying you for pasture.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Sig

nice
Old 05-26-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:

It's really nice to have a good neighbor. Your definitely not getting your share but its really nice to have a good neighbor that you get along with.
There are a lot of guys who will buy prime ranch land and then keep cows off thinking they will have a prime hunting or nature reserve.
What happens is not only a fire hazard but over a few years the grass and bush gets over matured and all the wild life clears out.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
It’s your land, previous agreements mean nothing. If you don’t want cattle on it let them know. The other guy can dig their own dugout. Shared fences are a bad idea with bulls on both sides. Your also getting ripped off on what they’re paying you for pasture.
I agree with you. OP, it your land so strictly up to you but they are short changing you big time and they aren't fully paying the old lady, even for Bush graze. If they won't negotiate a fair deal I would think hard about doing it at all.