Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Question Ridiculous Utility Trailer Prices!

I have been looking for a utility trailer for hauling a couple of quads or sleds around pretty much all winter now. I don’t want anything fancy just an 8 x 10trailer. After looking at Kijijji, buysell.com, and some dealer ads I have come to the conclusion that there are nothing but a bunch of crooks out there.

For example you get the dealers that sell the same brand or similar quality of trailers but the price can be $500 - $1000 different from one place to another. Then they try to sell you on the “base price” and add in all the goodies later like radial tire upgrades, brakes, and salt shields.

Next there are the “professional home built trailer people”. Take some raggedy old tent trailer, John Deer bailer, or 1960 Chevy truck box; a little high pressure farmer welding, a sheet of plywood, and some paint and instantly it becomes a $1500 jewel that you probably won’t be able to register or trust hauling anything on it.

Then there are the guys that have a next to new trailer that they want new price for. Give me a break, am I really going to cheap out and save $100 for something that I have no idea how many miles are on it, how many times it was overloaded, or what condition the wheel bearings are in?

The final thing that makes me wonder is why I can buy a 30 foot Tri-Axle Goose Neck for about $4500 more than a stupid quad trailer. There are 5 X the material in it plus it has electric or pneumatic brakes. I just don’t get it.

In closing if anyone has a decent trailer for a decent price please let me know and I will gladly take it off your hands!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM

its sad but so true! I have also been looking here in Calgary. The best line was "I'm not looking to make a profit, I just want what i paid for it". Supply and demand prices will drop dramatically come the warm weather. It happens every year.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Crankyape.com out of the us has some smoking deals on trailers. If you have the time to look for a bargin you can save thousands. Don't be fooled by the name it is a trusted site.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
I have been looking for a utility trailer for hauling a couple of quads or sleds around pretty much all winter now. I don’t want anything fancy just an 8 x 10trailer. After looking at Kijijji, buysell.com, and some dealer ads I have come to the conclusion that there are nothing but a bunch of crooks out there.

For example you get the dealers that sell the same brand or similar quality of trailers but the price can be $500 - $1000 different from one place to another. Then they try to sell you on the “base price” and add in all the goodies later like radial tire upgrades, brakes, and salt shields.

Next there are the “professional home built trailer people”. Take some raggedy old tent trailer, John Deer bailer, or 1960 Chevy truck box; a little high pressure farmer welding, a sheet of plywood, and some paint and instantly it becomes a $1500 jewel that you probably won’t be able to register or trust hauling anything on it.

Then there are the guys that have a next to new trailer that they want new price for. Give me a break, am I really going to cheap out and save $100 for something that I have no idea how many miles are on it, how many times it was overloaded, or what condition the wheel bearings are in?

The final thing that makes me wonder is why I can buy a 30 foot Tri-Axle Goose Neck for about $4500 more than a stupid quad trailer. There are 5 X the material in it plus it has electric or pneumatic brakes. I just don’t get it.

In closing if anyone has a decent trailer for a decent price please let me know and I will gladly take it off your hands!!!
Go to the US.Buy two bring them back,Sell one-Yours will be free.Check out the US prices You will see this is the case!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM

if you watch and are quick there some great deals I picked up a 8x12 atv trailer for $600
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

People that bought anything new a few years ago are asking too much right now. In allot of cases used prices are comparable to what the same item costs new now. The prices have dropped dramatically on just about everything, especially with the strong CD$. But, if people are willing to pay the big bucks then all the power to them.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Default I have one

First of all let me warn you, my trailer is a converted holiday trailer which I bought from a member of this board about 5 years ago. It has served me well but I recently bought an enclosed trailer which contains one of my quads and just about all of my hunting camp. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you my address at which time you can check it out without me being there. I live in Sylvan Lake. As far as I know it is in good shape and I have never had any problems with it. It is 7x13 (I think without going out and measuring it). Tires are 15". BEL
Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 PM

I here you! Try buying a used truck. 100Km+ and people want top dollar. "But mister I paid $60 grand for it a few years back, I should still be able to get 40, it's only highway miles, honestly." But somebody must be paying that price because I can't seem to find one in the ballpark according to the book prices.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Try buying in the US if you are buying used. In '07 I bought an '05 F150 for 10K to 15K cheaper than here...........and that's after all my expenses of flying there and driving back from Chicago.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryones View Post
Crankyape.com out of the us has some smoking deals on trailers. If you have the time to look for a bargin you can save thousands. Don't be fooled by the name it is a trusted site.
would check out cranky ape for sure. last may i picked up a motor home with 1400 miles on it for 30,000 less then they were going for used here. great deal. good people to deal with.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Have you tried:

http://www.fot.ca/

out of High River?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM

SWS in Westlock might be an option. They had the best prices for new stuff, back in the day.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 PM

I've got a 14'x7' covered trailer fully insulated two 3500 pound axles for sale.

$4750

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Have you tried:

http://www.fot.ca/

out of High River?
Thats where I got my 18ft flat deck. They were considerably cheaper then the competition.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post

Have you tried PJ trailers, I bought one there a few years ago, 14X6.5, it hauled my rhino and quad with ease. Paid 1500 bucks for it. They had hundreds of trailers at their site.