Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Opening Day

Opening day (August 25th in the north) is approaching quickly! Everyone going to be out chasing critters? I got a bit of time off and will be holding an elk, moose, and whitetail tag. This years goal is first harvest with a bow! Been trying for the past few years, but decided to get more serious this year about bow hunting. I've done a bit of scouting and lots of shooting!

Super excited for opening day, what other plans or goals do folks have for the 2018 season?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:04 AM

Opening day I will be chasing a buck I found scouting this summer, Sept 1 long weekend will be trying to fold some 212 antlerless tags so that I can focus on trying to find an elk on my week off!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 AM

Taking about 5-7 days off mid September to chase elk around, super pumped for that one.

I've got too much of an itch to wait until then though, so I'm going to see if I can fill my supplemental tag on a juicy doe on Sep 1st out west of Calgary here haha. I need to get out!

J
Old 08-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Probably gonna be bow hunting blacks in 349!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:31 PM

I'm going for a week of elk hunting to start things off this year! In super excited. After that I will be chasing a few target mule and whitetail bucks.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 AM

Archery moose and whitetail for me this year, carbon copy of last year. Both during the rut. Can’t wait.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:02 AM

I think I will be on the back burner this year and will be playing the guide for the most part. My fiancé (a Saskatchewan resident) got her antlered mule deer draw in Sask this year so I have taken the first week of September off to hopefully get her a velvet buck. Haha and if we can't get it done with the bow in September, crossbow opens in October. The way the new draw system is in Sask it will be 5 years before she is even in the lottery pool for this tag again so i'm hoping we can get her a nice one for her first buck.

I also have a trip planned in October to help a friend fold his tag on a archery mule deer as well.

Then in rifle season my sister has her cow moose tag and I have a younger cousin that wants to get into the hunting world. So between all of that and working shift work I don't think I will be getting much hunting in for myself this year. I get just as much excitement helping friends and family fill their tags so either way i'm excited for the season to come!

Oh and I am helping a friend the first week of December with his camp Wainwright deer hunt.

Good luck everyone and I'm excited to see everyone's photos!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM

I will be concentrating on moose while the archery season is on, almost out of last year’s now. Usually after that I conetrate on elk mainly but this year I drew a late season cow tag so that’s off. I will most likely chase deer with the hopes of an incidental black bear for the rest of the season👍
Old 08-24-2018, 07:46 AM

Elk and moose starting September 16. Friends wanted to rifle hunt, hopefully I show them up with my bow!

Then archery deer through out October every weekend.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Opening day is best day. Nice that it's not same day in all areas