Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Best Bow River Spots for March

Given the warm weather I tried my luck at river fishing in the Bow last weekend by Fish Creek. I was skunked. Just curious if any members can let me know what spots along the Bow would provide the best opportunity for bites this time of year. I want this fishery to stay healthy so I'm only looking for catch and release, even for non-trout species.

My setup:

5 foot 6 light spinning rod, 6lb fluoro with bobber and 3 to 4 foot leader. I tried brown and green #14 nymphs and a couple of spoons (Northland forage minnow and Len Thompson five of diamonds). Not sure of the spoon size, but they were most likely No. 6.

I moved from just south of Poplar Island to just north of the Fish Creek waste water plant. I tried casting in calmer areas and faster rapids. I was able to cast about half the width of the river and no further (need some bubble floats I think). I would usually cast upstream and let the line float downstream before reeling in, sometimes varying my speed or pulling the rod up intermittently during the retrieve.

This was my first time doing this so I was definitely working out some kinks with my casting and rigging. I know some people will suggest I use a fly rod rather than spinning gear, but I'm not quite ready to take that step yet.

Just looking to learn. Thanks in advance for your responses!

*I've cross posted this on the fishing forum.