Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Lake Newell REPORT

Too bad there isn't a sticky for fishing reports on bodies of water. So until then, let me be the first to try.
Guys please keep it civil and report the fishing, water conditions, problems etc....
Thanks and good luck.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 PM

fishing’s been slow for me there. I’ve been going to rolling hills or crawling valley for more consistent fishing. Not the same quality of fish in those though.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:53 PM

Fish there last weekend had 20 fish 10/walleye / 10 pike from 6am-9am tried again in the evening exact same setup not one fish.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:27 PM

the bite was on today
Old 06-17-2018, 04:38 PM

Thanks fish99 very helpful!!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:32 PM

I was out yesterday afternoon... fishing was great... caught 7 walleye and 8 pike in 4 hours.
8 lbs pike and 7.3 lbs walleye were the biggest.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 PM

i was out yesterday, caught my limit of whites.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
i was out yesterday, caught my limit of whites.
How deep?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 PM

One of these days.... if I picked one of you guys up and drove you to a lake with whites in it... hop in the boat and head out would someone please teach me how to catch these white!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
One of these days.... if I picked one of you guys up and drove you to a lake with whites in it... hop in the boat and head out would someone please teach me how to catch these white!!!!!!!

I don’t think this is the right place to try and pick up white guys,
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I don’t think this is the right place to try and pick up white guys,

Gawd, I just blew coffee through the ol' snot box.....Now that was funny...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM

Playdoh; that was a classic!! Love it!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Heading to Newell with my boat for the first time, would appreciate any pike tips
Thx
Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Desl View Post
Heading to Newell with my boat for the first time, would appreciate any pike tips

Thx

Try the bays, there’s a good one a lil bit south of the launch.
With the weather forecast, and on any other day, keep an eye on the sky. It can get seriously nasty in no time flat. If you see black clouds coming, don’t wait it out, head in right away.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Try the bays, there’s a good one a lil bit south of the launch.
With the weather forecast, and on any other day, keep an eye on the sky. It can get seriously nasty in no time flat. If you see black clouds coming, don’t wait it out, head in right away.
Yup, very dangerous lake to be on when the wind starts blowing. Even if you're in a decent sized boat.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM

Is Newell Lake fishable from shore?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
Is Newell Lake fishable from shore?
The headgates and the boat launch area aren't bad. If fishing from shore I'd recommend driving a few km down the road and fishing Rolling Hills Reservoir.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Fish there last weekend had 20 fish 10/walleye / 10 pike from 6am-9am tried again in the evening exact same setup not one fish.

I’ve been out 3 nights in a row, from around 7pm each night, and maybe a bite but after around 6 hours with nothing I’m about to snap my rod, lol.
After thinking about it, I’ve never had much evening action here, yet I’ve only been out in the evening maybe a dozen or so times.
I’ve had best luck bottom bouncing with a minnow, next good ole jig with minnow.

Anyone have any tips? Depths? Tackle? I scouted big time before this trip and been fishing nearly every drop off on the north end. Focusing first on ones connected to flats or saddles. Even tried some mid lake humps tonight.
Maybe I just need to get out earlier. I’ve been trolling from .5 mph to 1.5. I’ve yet to see someone anchor and jig here. Water is pretty thick with algae for as clear as this lake is. Also this smoke blurs any notion of time of day.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:40 AM

I should add the water was 22° according to my sonar, and it’s the warmest I’ve ever felt here. Maybe by evening it’s just too warm for them?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM

My wife and I filled our walleye tags a couple of weeks ago with 23" or so eyes but had a huge one on that jumped before the boat.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
My wife and I filled our walleye tags a couple of weeks ago with 23" or so eyes but had a huge one on that jumped before the boat.

Can I ask what you were using? Trolling? Depth?
We got skunked again today, and it was hard to swallow. Had one that broke off at the hook, tied with 20 pound fluorocarbon. Just added insult to injury. I haven’t been skunked for years, and I have a good $2000 in tackle I’ve been going through. Trolling cranks, jigs, bottom bouncers with minnows.

Seen a guy catch one today, yet they didn’t get anything else for the next hour either.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Can I ask what you were using? Trolling? Depth?
We got skunked again today, and it was hard to swallow. Had one that broke off at the hook, tied with 20 pound fluorocarbon. Just added insult to injury. I haven’t been skunked for years, and I have a good $2000 in tackle I’ve been going through. Trolling cranks, jigs, bottom bouncers with minnows.

Seen a guy catch one today, yet they didn’t get anything else for the next hour either.
Today, I was trolling in 18-24ft tugging along some walleye delights with nightcrawlers. No problem hooking in some decent walleye. In 5hrs, 15 fish. Mostly walleye.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyShootMore View Post
Today, I was trolling in 18-24ft tugging along some walleye delights with nightcrawlers. No problem hooking in some decent walleye. In 5hrs, 15 fish. Mostly walleye.

Awesome bud, thanks. I was thinking of trying some spinner rigs. I don’t have any delights, but I can tie something together that should make do.
I should have tried the leeches I had, I have some pumpkin powerbait ones that probably would have looked enough like a worm. Might have to head in to town and grab some real ones.
Thanks again man, much appreciated.

How fast were you trolling? I was sticking around 1mph, .8-1.5 ish. After this long with no fish I’ve started to second guess everything I know. lol
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Awesome bud, thanks. I was thinking of trying some spinner rigs. I don’t have any delights, but I can tie something together that should make do.
I should have tried the leeches I had, I have some pumpkin powerbait ones that probably would have looked enough like a worm. Might have to head in to town and grab some real ones.
Thanks again man, much appreciated.

How fast were you trolling? I was sticking around 1mph, .8-1.5 ish. After this long with no fish I’ve started to second guess everything I know. lol
We were clockin' 1-1.6KPH. 1-1.5mph would seem too fast(maybe you meant kph?). We also tried minnows behind our rigs, worked.
Good luck.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
We were clockin' 1-1.6KPH. 1-1.5mph would seem too fast(maybe you meant kph?). We also tried minnows behind our rigs, worked.

Good luck.

Thanks again. I tried a bit faster today, but still under 1 mph mainly. 1.6 kph is 1 mph I’m pretty sure so I was mostly just over 1 kph.
I’m just 2nd guessing myself and overthinking things.
I was at Pigeon 3 weeks ago and literally caught 100 eyes in like 4-5 hours. I made it a challenge but after 60 or so, it was just a chore and lost most of the fun.
Maybe this is my Karma? I did land a 7 pounder here a month ago, but not very many others, so I have yet to have a complete playbook for Newell.
I tried the north islands at first, since I seen a couple boats there. Then left to my west side hole that usually produces.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I’ve never used a walleye delight, but reading there description looks like there’s no weights on them. I imagine your adding your own. Do you use a 3-way swivel or just one at the top of the rig?
Have an extra seat in your boat? lol. Just kidding. If you see a guy staring at you, while trolling 10 feet beside or behind you, that’ll be me.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Banned

I would try some slower presentations spin-n-glow, smiley blades, or lindy rigs. All can be trolled about .3 mph or less. Takes longer to cover area, but maybe there just not active enough for the 1mph. If you are getting short hits, I would definitely try something slower, but you never listed any of the above so I would give them a go anyway. Good Luck
Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I’ve never used a walleye delight, but reading there description looks like there’s no weights on them. I imagine your adding your own. Do you use a 3-way swivel or just one at the top of the rig?
Have an extra seat in your boat? lol. Just kidding. If you see a guy staring at you, while trolling 10 feet beside or behind you, that’ll be me.
Creepy!!! 15ft or less would be considered a micro-aggression which would instantly trigger a safe space warning.

I like to Run them behind a bottom bouncer or Lindy's slip sinker. Wally D'lishes are my go to rig here and back on Last Mountain Lake, Sk. Countless trophies caught.

Last edited by HappyShootMore; 08-17-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 AM

I’ve had people come and anchor 6 feet from me at pigeon. Just last trip this guy was drifting right at us, till I asked him if he knew his anchor wasn’t holding. He tried to tell me I was wrong, despite his anchor line hanging straight down, and his boat facing the opposite direction as the rest of us. lol.

But ya, I’m not ‘that guy’. I did see a bunch of boats in a group somewhat near the resort, and headed over to see what was up. I seen a guy start putting his rod away, and briefly thought about joining the crowd, until I noticed they were all F&W and search and rescue and they were sadly fishing for the poor guy who drowned last weekend. Pretty sad story. 22 year old lost his life trying to recover a dinghy.
This lake sure has its share of tragedies.

Thanks once again, and good luck to you as well. I actually caught a huge clam today. Thing was like 5-6 inches wide, and I snagged it with my bottom bouncer somehow. I gave it to the mussel inspection girls.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I would try some slower presentations spin-n-glow, smiley blades, or lindy rigs. All can be trolled about .3 mph or less. Takes longer to cover area, but maybe there just not active enough for the 1mph. If you are getting short hits, I would definitely try something slower, but you never listed any of the above so I would give them a go anyway. Good Luck

Thanks bob. I’ve been mainly using the bottom bouncer and going (painfully) slow enough to hop it along. I’ve been picking up the speed in part wondering if it’s not tempting enough that slow, and to cover more ground and try to find them.
Yet I think your right, and the slow show is the way to go.
I’m too quick to give up on locations often. “There not here and probably over there”, goes through my head after about 20 mins of no action.