Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Will Election Results Help Fix Photo Radar

I live in the photo radar capital of the universe, Spruce Grove where if you will never see a photo radar truck in a neighborhood or school zone. They are usually on highway behind a sign or bush. Even the Welcome to Spruce Grove sign on Jenn Heil Way looks like a photo radar spot, and people slow down there every day even though I don't recall them ever utilizing that spot.

Anyways the canidates who came to my door all claimed to be willing to "revisit and fix" photo radar. 3 Alderman candidates at my kids school talked about it in depth, so much my 11 year old knew more then me. (Which is good and scary at the same time) It was the only issue anyone who cared talked about.

So The Big Question Is, "Is there going to be any changes?" in Alberta.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Are morons going to stop speeding after the election?

Which do you prefer? To be able to speed and not get caught by camera, or safer roadways?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Edmonton motor vehicle accidents by year.
2012 - 23,243
2013 - 24,803
2014 - 24,627
2015 - 25,517
2016 - 23,139

In a city of less than a million people, when are we going to stop propagating the lie that it's about safety? Wait for the carnage through the first snowfall.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Edmonton motor vehicle accidents by year.
2012 - 23,243
2013 - 24,803
2014 - 24,627
2015 - 25,517
2016 - 23,139

In a city of less than a million people, when are we going to stop propagating the lie that it's about safety? Wait for the carnage through the first snowfall.
Well, lets not just show some of the facts.
Edmonton population 2012 was 819000
In 2016 900000.
Nearly 10% more people yet no increase in accidents.
Somethings working.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Banned

Oh cry me a river.

They really want to make things safer?
Start tagging points on photo radar.
Start upping the requirements for a person to get a automotive license.

Drive around Alberta enough, one comes to realize that most don't know the rules of the road. Asking for common sense or courtesy is just too much. I've done more damage to my cars avoiding accidents.

OMG! I have to merge? Let me slow down... I've driven all across Canada, every major center. Edmonton is the only city in the country where a traffic jam is caused by nothing. People can't drive, they can't navigate a vehicle on a clear day - snow is coming, wait for it.

Smile and wave as you go under the 98th street overpass on Whitemud, almost a permanent position. Fellow in the back seat of a truck with a camera on a tripod.

Does my heart good when citizens are willing to stand behind a photo radar buggy warning drivers.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Oh cry me a river.

Drive around Alberta enough, one comes to realize that most don't know the rules of the road. Asking for common sense or courtesy is just too much. I've done more damage to my cars avoiding accidents.

OMG! I have to merge? Let me slow down... I've driven all across Canada, every major center. Edmonton is the only city in the country where a traffic jam is caused by nothing. People can't drive, they can't navigate a vehicle on a clear day - snow is coming, wait for it.

Smile and wave as you go under the 98th street overpass on Whitemud, almost a permanent position. Fellow in the back seat of a truck with a camera on a tripod.

Does my heart good when citizens are willing to stand behind a photo radar buggy warning drivers.
Sure, I'll cry you a river.
Haven't had a speeding ticket (either 'live' or photo radar) since 2002.
I don't care if it is a tax...it's the easiest tax in the world to avoid...all you have to do is loose the self entitled attitude that 'I gotta get places and a little speeding don't hurt no one'.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I agree with everything in this quote

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Oh cry me a river.

last night i drove on deerfoot and people were stopping because there was a construction sign that said there was road work being done from 11pm to 5am. it was 4pm. once we got past the sign everything sped back up.

or when theres an accident on the other side of the road, separated by a median and traffic comes to a crawl. drives me insane.

i wish cops would enforce the rules of the road better. my biggest peeve is people stopping on a free flow lane. i usually lay on the horn until they start moving.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:14 PM

If you do not exceed the legally legislated km/h limit of the road, photo radar will never affect you. Those who believe they are above the law and can freely drive whatever speed limit they choose can pay the price to the city for doing so. Complaining about receiving a photo radar ticket for speeding in the mail indicates that you lack personal accountability for your actions. You were in the wrong, not the city for having buddy sitting in a white F-150 on a Henday overpass.

I will agree that deploying the program under the guise of "safety" is a bit of a farce, but if photo radar prevents even one motor vehicle accident, which I am sure it has, I am happy with it. Overall, great way for the city to generate revenue that isn't coming from raising property taxes.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:12 PM

As others have said the solution to not getting photo radar tickets is so simple it hurts. Slow down.

That said, I am a supporter of photo radar. I don't for one second think that it does much if anything for safety, it does however generate revenue....a tax. It's a tax that I get to CHOOSE if I pay or not. In Edson where I live 100% of the revenue from photo radar goes to pay for additional RCMP members in the town. If they were to rid the town of photo radar we would either lose the number of officers, or more likely, they would increase the tax burden on everyone in the town through other means such as property taxes. Which I don't have a say in if I pay.