Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Exclamation With winter upon us, what do you heat your garage to?

I am certain that the reason my garage floor has not cracked anywhere in the 11 years is because I keep it heated in winter. What is the minimal magic number? I used to keep it at 12c, but read that 12c or 18c there is no difference because once everything is warm it keeps the heat longer. I am thinking 13c this year because there is no boat this year, wondering what you guys do. I warm it up when I have to do work, prefer short sleeves when pulling wrenches.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-15-2017, 04:49 PM

I go 13 degrees. The thermostat is up 7 feet as house is raised so there are steps up to door. This keeps any water at far end at floor level from freezing unless it's minus 30. Also have a ceiling fan that, I believe, helps. Dog stays in garage lots so want him comfortable! No cracks in floor after 10 years.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:50 PM

7 degrees when I’m not out there but crank up the propane furnace when needed. Previous owner poured heat tubing into the floor (26x95’ quonset) but I haven’t rigged up a pump system yet.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:53 PM

I only heated my garage when I worked in there, I found that it takes 3 days to heat up the floor once it was cooled down and the furnace cycled continually I had to wear winter boots to keep my feet warm. Now I keep it at 12 C all year round when I work in there takes only 1/2 hour to reach 20 C there was no difference to my gas bill.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
7 degrees when I’m not out there but crank up the propane furnace when needed. Previous owner poured heat tubing into the floor (26x95’ quonset) but I haven’t rigged up a pump system yet.
Wow and Wow!

I would have that floor heat on before I emptied my clothes into the closet!

Mine is 470 sq ft smaller than yours @40x50.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-15-2017, 05:22 PM

I keep mine 70 degrees, same as the house.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Wow and Wow!

I would have that floor heat on before I emptied my clothes into the closet!

Mine is 470 sq ft smaller than yours @40x50.
About 60 feet of the building is insulated and heated. Average 25 percent of a 1000 gallon propane tank per winter. About $300
Old 10-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Banned

My garage is 25' x 25' x 10' with a suspended gas furnace and I leave the thermostat at it's lowest setting, keeps it about 7-8 degrees on the coldest day, jack it up when I am out there. I had exposed footings which I have covered with what ever grade the purple styrofoam (1") is and added a 54" ceiling fan that I leave on low all the time. Before these changes at -20 the footings were -20 and the floor at 0, at -20 now and the air temp in the garage at about +20, the footings are +15 and the floor at +10, very comfortable to work in.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM

I have a suspended gas heater that I can't seem to get to work.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 PM

My garage is left unheated unless I plan to work in it, only 1/2 hr to warm up.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:52 PM

I keep mine around 7 degrees unless working in it, I will turn it up to 16 or so...
Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM

His and hers. His 1100sq ft viesmann boiler keep at 20C hers 24x26 keep at 5-6.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:15 PM

Mine is set at 10. Seems to be warm enough to keep the boat batteries, electronics, other batteries and stuff in the garage warm enough to avoid any damage. Garage is fully insulated and dry walled (walls and ceiling) but the overhead doors just sucks the heat out of it and it's definitely coolers in that end of the garage.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Keep mine at 10 degrees as well. Warms up quick when I am working in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Mine is set at 10. Seems to be warm enough to keep the boat batteries, electronics, other batteries and stuff in the garage warm enough to avoid any damage. Garage is fully insulated and dry walled (walls and ceiling) but the overhead doors just sucks the heat out of it and it's definitely coolers in that end of the garage.
x2....I keep my boat motor on a stand and all batteries warm all winter..LOL
Old 10-15-2017, 07:11 PM

I keep mine about 10-12 deg until I want to do something then crank it up to about 20. I just want the snow melted off the vehicles and nothing frozen most of the time.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Our attached garage isnt heated but it has to get pretty cold for water to freeze solid in there.

My shop i keep the thermostat set at 10 but if the heater has recently been on and you get in a vehicle it will show 20.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:28 PM

I have a 38000 BTU furnace in my 24x26 I keep it at 20C
Old 10-15-2017, 10:03 PM

I put infloor radiant heating in my 1100 sq ft garage and keep it about 8 degrees. I find too much humidity if it’s warmer than that!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:04 PM

I set the thermostat at 6 deg, lowest setting. Garage is a 22 x 21 insulated and drywalled double attached. Keeps things from freezing. Crank it up when I want to do some work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Banned

I try to keep mine as close to above freezing as I can......won't get frost on anything, especially all my hand tools.

actually had to tilt the thermostat slightly, 'cause lowest it would go was 10 degrees, which was warmer than I wanted it. light jacket and i'm good to go unless I turn up the heat and it's shirt sleeves in about 10 minutes. I've got a 45000 btu mr heater hanging that has been in there for about 10 years without a problem (just sewered myself, I bet!!)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am certain that the reason my garage floor has not cracked anywhere in the 11 years is because I keep it heated in winter. What is the minimal magic number? I used to keep it at 12c, but read that 12c or 18c there is no difference because once everything is warm it keeps the heat longer. I am thinking 13c this year because there is no boat this year, wondering what you guys do. I warm it up when I have to do work, prefer short sleeves when pulling wrenches.
Ken

Food for thought:

The fact that you keep your garage at 12C does not have anything to do with the concrete floor not cracking - unless you have a moisture problem under your slab. Concrete does not crack when it gets cold, otherwise all the exposed concrete that you see anywhere (sidewalks, buildings, bridges, you name it) would be cracked. Concrete cracks easily under tension, so if your floor has moisture under it, and it freezes (expands), it will heave the floor upwards, and put the top half of your floor into tension, and it will crack. Concrete mixes that are well designed will last for a very long time, provided that a lot of other things are in place to help it out, like no moisture under a slab. Of course there are a lot of exceptions and caveats. Not going to go into them here.

By keeping your floor at 12c, you may well be keeping the ground under it from freezing, and keeping the upward frost heave from occurring, thereby keeping cracks on the surface to a minimum or none at all.

Throw a block of concrete outside and see what happens - it won't crack, no matter how cold it gets. This is why concrete is such a widespread and fantastic building material. Works very well in conjunction with steel as well. For the most part. Yes concrete cracks - but there are reasons for it.

To answer your question - my minimum garage temp is at 8-9C, as that is the low cutoff of my thermostat. I like it that way, as nothing freezes.

Mike
Old 10-16-2017, 02:26 AM

My garage is 24X26 with 10' ceiling. Insulated and dry walled. I have a suspended gas furnace that I keep at around 10-15 when not in there and crank it up to around 24 when I'm working in it. Takes about 15 minutes to get up to temp and the furnace rarely cycles on and off unless I open the door.
The difference in the gas bill is hardly noticeable. Very little of what you pay is for actual gas and mostly for fees.

The garage has 2X6 framing with double pane windows and an insulated door.
Stays warm in winter and remarkably cool in summer.
I might add a ceiling fan but I'd like to put in a lift at some point (That point being when I can find the money and unexpected bills stop sucking the money out of my wallet)

Like you, I like to just work in shirt sleeves and be comfortable.
Heck, I even have slippers just for the garage.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 AM

22c
Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 AM

My garage is a tarp that I store in my trunk and only use when I don't feel like lying on gravel.$0 heating bill.

Rich people problems
Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Keep my shop at +5. Radient heater will bring things up right quick but I typically fire up the wood stove if I have a project.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
The difference in the gas bill is hardly noticeable. Very little of what you pay is for actual gas and mostly for fees.
This is true, turning the heat off and on when you need it makes very little difference to your bill.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage at 18, shop at 13.
18' ceilings in shop so I have ceiling fans to push the heat down.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
Ken

Food for thought:

The fact that you keep your garage at 12C does not have anything to do with the concrete floor not cracking - unless you have a moisture problem under your slab. Concrete does not crack when it gets cold, otherwise all the exposed concrete that you see anywhere (sidewalks, buildings, bridges, you name it) would be cracked. Concrete cracks easily under tension, so if your floor has moisture under it, and it freezes (expands), it will heave the floor upwards, and put the top half of your floor into tension, and it will crack. Concrete mixes that are well designed will last for a very long time, provided that a lot of other things are in place to help it out, like no moisture under a slab. Of course there are a lot of exceptions and caveats. Not going to go into them here.

By keeping your floor at 12c, you may well be keeping the ground under it from freezing, and keeping the upward frost heave from occurring, thereby keeping cracks on the surface to a minimum or none at all.

Mike
So if I were to put something (like carpet and underlay) on the exposed concrete it would stop thermal loss and keep the room warmer but the frost would have a better chance of coming up through and therefore break the concrete. Good to know

Old 10-16-2017, 02:14 PM

My pad was poured poorly 40 yrs ago like most of the garages in my hood. Heaving, cracking and sinking. That being said when I had shorthairs, they had an closed in Kennel under & full length of the work bench, insulated floor and outside doggie door. Nice warm box with Value Village comforters at the opposite end of the doggie door. I kept the garage at 10 for them, once the last one died, it's only set to 5 degrees to melt snow from the sleds and keep it above freezing for the batteries etc.

Garage is insulated and drywalled with a big old metal door that I put Styrofoam panels on the inside to try and keep some heat in.