Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Truck problems

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there are any mechanics out there that could give me a hand diagnosing a 2006 dodge dakota that I bought as a fixer upper.

I changed out strut assemblies in the front, lower ball joints, sway bar bushings all of the other parts in the suspension seem to be fine (no movement) when I pull at them.

The vibration/clunking happens on acceleration but seem to lessen a lot(still present) at higher speeds around 60-70km/h

Thanks to anyone that can help.

If this is not the right place please delete.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Banned

U joint or the wobble joint on front drive shaft.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Wheel bearing?
Old 08-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
U joint or the wobble joint on front drive shaft.
hmm I will definitely look into these thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Wheel bearing?
I did some tests on the bearings and they seem to be nice and snug. no squealing either

thanks for replying!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
hmm I will definitely look into these thanks!
Sounds like a problem in any dodge truck I've had but I've never owned a small one. I'm gonna assume its got that wobble joint on the front drive shaft. It will be hot after driving it a block or two.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:42 PM

sounds like the front propeller shaft. grab it and give it a good wiggle, if its really loose go and buy a new one. had the same thing happen in my 2002 1500.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a problem in any dodge truck I've had but I've never owned a small one. I'm gonna assume its got that wobble joint on the front drive shaft. It will be hot after driving it a block or two.
so I had a look at it, the u joint is pretty solid but the shaft has a about a half inch of play turning either direction. I hear a little knock going either way.
It also moves just about 1/8 of an inch forward and back... that is all just with my hand.

I did not notice any lateral play on the axle
Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Wait, you mean to propeller shaft or the one that connects to the wheel. ( yea I am still learning
Old 08-27-2017, 05:21 PM

I've replaced the CV joint on the drivers side 3 times in 140K on my 2007 1500, try putting in 4 wheel drive and turn a tight circle if you hear a clicking sound its time to replace
Old 08-27-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I've replaced the CV joint on the drivers side 3 times in 140K on my 2007 1500, try putting in 4 wheel drive and turn a tight circle if you hear a clicking sound its time to replace
I will try this and let you know thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:10 AM

Sounds like you've got some good direction and a decent handle on things, good luck.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:24 AM

That have a steady bearing on the rear drive shaft? If so check that. They are rubber mounted and can get loose and flop around and cause all sorts of weird noises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM

Could be as simple as tires, I know lots of guys that do all that work to drivetrain to correct vibration and ends up being tire vibration from various wears or flat spots

Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 PM

does it make noise only when 4x4 engaged? tires sounds like a starting point for vibration
Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
That have a steady bearing on the rear drive shaft? If so check that. They are rubber mounted and can get loose and flop around and cause all sorts of weird noises

thanks this may be the issue, i will check back thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guide5689 View Post
Could be as simple as tires, I know lots of guys that do all that work to drivetrain to correct vibration and ends up being tire vibration from various wears or flat spots

I will have it sent in for balance and alignment.. it is also pulling to the left
Old 08-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I did not hear any noises doing this test. I did however notice my rear sway bar links and bushings are shot...

could this cause vibration or just control issues?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Is it at LOW SPEED on acceleration? in 4 x 4?

A clunk like what you are describing is consistent with a front propeller shaft, and while I am not familiar with the front axle on an 06 Dakota, on the full size "American Axle" Dana front ends, the propeller shaft always is spinning as the lock up is in the transfer case, and not the hubs. (no locking hubs on the Dana front ends).

If the spline shaft is worn, and the u joints in the CV are worn, yes they will flop around. Simply pull the shaft and try again to see if it goes away. Your shaft is shot anyway, so go to Pat's Driveline and bring in the old one for your core. Pat's will have a spline shaft with a grease zirk that can be lubricated, with new U joints and new Yokes. Not worth the grief to rebuild a propeller shaft any more.

The rear bushings for the control arm can move under torque, so I can see that contributing to the noise, but the vibration is either tires or alignment or rear drive shaft U joints being shot as well.

IF you make a hard turn and there is noise, or wobble on recovery, then that is the "outboard" U joints in the steering knuckle of the axle. These are a royal pain, as you end up pulling the axle shaft to change them.

I have had greasable outboard u joints put in on past axle rebuilds, but the caps on one alignment of the U joint are always too tight, and don't lubricate no matter how much grease you pump in. Eventually, they run dry just like the "lubed for life" U joint, and when you hear the clicking and feel the drag and the wobble on recovery from the turn, you just say, that's life!

Good luck on it.

Drewski
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Are you near Slave Lake?