Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 PM

Anyone else still use a hand grinder like I do?

Motor never dies. I just get the kids ice cream and they're happy.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 PM

No hand crank for me.

I have the cabela 1hp or (22 size for grinder head )model from 2014, All silver model. Works well the foot gas pedal is great. I have the slicer, cuber and meat mixing attachments. It does push the meat through though ~10lbs a minute. The reasons i bought it was on sale, and a comment on the Cabelas website at the time said if a cow stuck its nose in here while on and it was running it would pull it through. A little hyperbole but not far from the truth in a solid workhorse. I have from an elk this year cut a piece that was larger than a deer loin and ran it through this machine. It didnt even grunt.

I had the jerky slicer on in 2015 and to run a buddy's duck breasts through for jerky. Hit the gas pedal , drop a duck in and a second later it was sliced in 10 pieces or so. It took me more time to wash it than slice i dont know how many ducks he had. When he walked out my door Cabelas was in his crosshairs for the grinder and he was up there in Regina as fast as he could and bought it all along with a smoker. He saw the value.

We ran 1.5 bull elk through this year. A couple deer each year since 2014.

I shot my moose in 2014 and that was the deciding factor to either pay a butcher that price for the moose processing in the future- which later i wish i didnt get moose roasts processed and we wanted more burger anywyas. Then i thought i can do that as we always did on the farm anyways before with upwards some years 10 deer with all the family members of extended families. We used a 10 or 8 or something but had the man power to do lots of stuff all at once.

The price of the elk this year paid for the grinder. The deer i have done up till now paid for the other attachements.

I enjoy doing it but time is what i would like more of. The adult kids and their spouses think the free ground meat is pretty awesome. They love it too.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
Not Cat here but yes that's the one.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM

10pm - 110m friday night cabellas are 50% off (see website) in store only - don't know if they will have any in stock