Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 04:40 PM

I wonder if Covid-19 will wrap up before the next one hits.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:50 PM

nm
Old 10-28-2020, 05:17 PM

As long as we build cities where people pack together like sardines we will always be at risk of a pandemic
Old 10-28-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Don’t protect the vulnerable!

Ha ha ha, you must be from Quebec. (I did pick up on your sarcasm by the way)

BACK ON TRACK WITH THE THREAD TITLE

Do some of the things that Singapore has been doing all along. They've had around 58000 cases and only 28 deaths since Feb, they must be doing something right. I agree with everything, especially their thoughts on CLASSIFICATION. Singapore might actually have people that have died of natural causes and old-age related illness this year. (And yes, I do realize that it's a tiny island republic, but they do have a super dense population.)

Oh and try and re-train as many seniors as possible to cough/sneeze into their sleeve or a kleenex, or at least wash/sanitize their hands afterward instead of wiping their hands on their pants. I see so many that cough/sneeze into their hands. I realize that it's a hard habit to break as I was always told to cough/sneeze into my hands as well. This would do wonders for those living in extended care homes and retirement residences. I still see my parents, relatives/friends do this all the time, many who are telling me how important it is to wear a mask/gloves while out in public.

DETECTION

Singapore has managed to mitigate the spread of the virus via early detection using aggressive contact tracing and testing that won praise from the World Health Organization (WHO).

It has swabbed nearly 900,000 people, more than 15% of its 5.7 million population, according to official data - one of the highest per capita rates globally.

Dormitory residents have been put on a rostered testing regime, authorities have undertaken mass testing among vulnerable communities like care homes, and anyone over 13 with signs of acute respiratory infection is offered a free test.

"The more we diagnose, then the lower the mortality rate is," said Hsu Li Yang at Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health at National University of Singapore.

HOSPITALISATION

The pre-emptive approach has also applied to treatment. COVID-19 patients above the age of 45 years or with underlying conditions that make them vulnerable are cared for in hospital even if they are otherwise well, doctors said.

"Our care is conventional but done well; fluid management, anticoagulation and both proven drugs and participation in drug trials," said Dale Fisher, a senior consultant at Singapore's National University Hospital.

Singapore was already a medical tourism hub for Southeast Asia, with numerous private hospitals and high quality public healthcare facilities. It also built up bed space for coronavirus patients in cavernous exhibition halls and other temporary facilities to house those with mild or no symptoms.

This prevented the healthcare system from being overwhelmed so that attention and resources could be focused on the more severe cases, doctors said. Singapore currently has no COVID-19 patients in intensive care, while 42 are warded in hospital and a further 490 in temporary facilities.

MANDATORY MASKS

The city-state made masks mandatory in public in April. While experts have said more studies need be done, there is growing evidence that wearing masks helps reduce the prevalance and severity of the virus. The WHO has recommended the use of masks in combination with other social distancing measures.

"We have adopted a good mask culture in Singapore. This makes the disease milder," said Leong Hoe Nam, an infectious diseases expert at the city's Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

CLASSIFICATION

Singapore sticks rigidly to the WHO's case definition for classifying COVID-19 deaths. It does not include non-pneumonia fatalities like those caused by blood or heart issues among COVID-19 patients in its official tally.

"I have no doubt that if the WHO revises its case definitions, some of the non-pneumonia deaths will be reclassified and the mortality rate will change," said Paul Tambyah, president of the Asia Pacific Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infection, without specifying how much it would likely shift.

The health ministry has said its approach is consistent with international practice, although some countries like Britain have taken broader counts. NUH's Fisher said any change from reclassifications in Singapore would be marginal.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:36 PM

Wear condoms.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Wear condoms.
Or use the good old P.O.P method...........................Pull Out and Pray. Fewer people make for fewer sick people lol.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Protect the elderly and sick!!!! Then carry on...not rocket science..
Old 10-28-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
Protect the elderly and sick!!!! Then carry on...not rocket science..
Read my first post.

If its not rocket science tell us exactly how to “Protect the elderly and sick!!!! “.

Moreover why do you protect the elderly and sick?

Old 10-28-2020, 08:32 PM

We will be lucky to get through this one with our civilization mostly intact, if it drags on for a long time, let alone the next one.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsweptcoast View Post
We will be lucky to get through this one with our civilization mostly intact, if it drags on for a long time, let alone the next one.
Wow. I’d say that’s an overstatement. Life is going on fairly close to the way it was for most people. Wearing masks is inconvenient but so is a suit and tie or a pair of work coveralls and boots. Cuts to spending in some areas is being replaced by spending in other areas. Overall economic slowdowns will occur with any such major shifts but people always find a new way to spend everything they make.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Imagine thinking what is happening now is a pandemic

Hypochondriacs, sjw's and snowflakes are just showing power hungry governments how easy they are to control.

Good job, you are the real problem.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
Imagine thinking what is happening now is a pandemic

Hypochondriacs, sjw's and snowflakes are just showing power hungry governments how easy they are to control.

Good job, you are the real problem.
There are certainly many sides to the question of how to deal with Covid-19.

I'm not suggesting that you are doing so, but let's not be like the person in this thread who was trying to claim that one of the senior deputies in Alberta Health is from Wuhan. This type of misinformation just makes it more difficult to have a sensible discussion.

A pandemic has to affect a significant proportion of the population over a large area. Covid-19 is world-wide. How many people would have to be ill to count as a significant proportion?

Over 1 million people have died from the disease, 10,000 in Canada. Hospitals in many countries are overflowing with Covid-19 patients.

What do you suggest should be done other than what the Canadian and provincial governments are doing?

BTW why did you conflate hypochondriacs with SJW's and snowflakes? Are you suggesting that many Covid-19 sufferers are not physically ill?

Last edited by sk270; 10-29-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:04 AM

Maybe just maybe, close the bloody border with the country that started this mess. But no, in Canada we have never closed the boarder with China, planes have been coming and going from China since this whole mess started.
That would have been a good start.
How do you help protect the elderly?
Well don't send a covid infected patient from the hospital to a old folks home that is not equipped to deal with it. That would be a good start.
The real numbers from this so called pandemic are ridiculously low.
I mean real covid deaths, not you are sick and dying or close to dying and you test positive for covid, then it is a covid death. That is the stupidest thing they are doing.
On average 5500 ALbertans die from Cancer per year, but yet we are not shutting down the economy for cancer? And cancer kills the young, the old, the middle aged. Covid numbers have shown the average death age to be 83.4 years old, well the average life expectancy in Alberta is 81.3 so well I would say it is not as huge of deal as the governments/media have made this out to be.
My 2 cents,
Old 10-29-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
On average 5500 ALbertans die from Cancer per year, but yet we are not shutting down the economy for cancer? And cancer kills the young, the old, the middle aged. Covid numbers have shown the average death age to be 83.4 years old, well the average life expectancy in Alberta is 81.3 so well I would say it is not as huge of deal as the governments/media have made this out to be.
My 2 cents,
I have never been worried about a cancer patient coughing cancer on me.

Nobody has ever 'caught cancer' from someone else.

When I run the risk of catching cancer while shopping for groceries, or passing it on to my ailing elderly mother in law I will take your argument into account.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-29-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Read my first post.

If its not rocket science tell us exactly how to “Protect the elderly and sick!!!! “.

It’s not rocket science, but I have noticed AO has lots of Scientists.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsweptcoast View Post
WOW! Stay in the basement folks! You could get hit by a hydrogen powered bus crossing the street going to Seven Eleven but at least you wouldn't die of Covid. Actually , you would probably classed as a Covid death.
Could have hit a deer on the way to work today but at least I had my mask on!
lol
Old 10-30-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
WOW! Stay in the basement folks! You could get hit by a hydrogen powered bus crossing the street going to Seven Eleven but at least you wouldn't die of Covid. Actually , you would probably classed as a Covid death.
Could have hit a deer on the way to work today but at least I had my mask on!
lol
totally agree, just reading through all the posts on this thread makes me shake my head, but come on people why do we not wear a mask when the flu is going around?
because the lamestream media has done a great job in terrifying everyone
because who knows...covid ya know
countless doctors and hospital staff have spoken out on how fake this all is
these doctors are considered "the experts".....untill.....they contradict the government, then suddenly they know nothing about covid
this covid thing is completely staged, sure there are people getting sick and some people dying from a virus, funny how we suddenly don't pay attention to any other death cause or diseases, all we do is google the latest covid numbers, and once we got our mask on(while it's hanging loose on our face half the time)
then we are bullet proof... right?

with a bit of research you know that the WHO and Gates and all those elites are behind all of this, but lets not think about that, because the covid numbers went up, so better put on a double mask, now we'll for sure be fine
untill the government says you're not fine, and that we should all stay indoors( or whatever kind of restrictions they come up with next), as long as it is in the name of " health"......then the sheeple say "yes and amen"

i think that's called communism

end of rant
but please people, take off those stupid masks.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:45 AM

How does it make sense that the Covid numbers stay at 2000 a day (or whatever the number is). Shouldn’t those 2000 have infected a bunch more and so on and so on.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:37 AM

In reading the posts on a thread on planning for and preventing the NEXT pandemic (say a stealthy and very deadly EBOLA) I think humanity is pretty much doomed as people can only “fight the last war”.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Many years back (10-15 years?) on another forum I started a thread called “Pandemic Planning”. It was sad in that there was little uptake of participation unless there was an imminent threat like H1N1, etc.

So, I’ll try again here.

Your thoughts on how to actually prevent the next viral outbreak from becoming a “pandemic”.

Note: I think this forum has more “doers” than the substantially “airy-fairy” participation on the other forum. So I’m hopeful this thread leads to concrete suggestions and not silly vapid platitudes like “protect the vulnerable”.

Go for it!
Bump

Pre-covid-19 articles from 2018:

Experts decry lack of flu pandemic readiness, commitment | CIDRAP

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ess-commitment

This mock pandemic killed 150 million people. Next time it might not be a drill. - The Washington Post
May 30, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ot-be-a-drill/

Last edited by KinAlberta; 10-30-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:42 AM

Everyone can live in their own personal bubble and we can bleach the world
Old 10-30-2020, 05:58 AM

Well that’s a son of a bleached way to live!
Old 10-30-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
How does it make sense that the Covid numbers stay at 2000 a day (or whatever the number is). Shouldn’t those 2000 have infected a bunch more and so on and so on.
After you get your degree share the answer with us?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-30-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
In reading the posts on a thread on planning for and preventing the NEXT pandemic (say a stealthy and very deadly EBOLA) I think humanity is pretty much doomed as people can only “fight the last war”.
Very true. Santayana wrote that "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Maybe disregard for the past is hard-wired into human brains in some fashion.

SARS-CoV-1, along with study of various historic plagues, was supposed to have taught us some things but version 2 has shown us that we did not learn enough.

The internet has, in my opinion, done as much harm as good in this respect. Historically, Canadian majorities have rallied behind the leadership. Today there is a solid core of conspiracy theorists rallying supporters on forums like AO.

Overall, I see one of the biggest issues in planning for the next pandemic is the conflict between nationalism and globalism. A happy medium would be nice, but probably unobtainable.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Why do you think?

This cartoon is so deceptively simple yet true.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-30-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
After you get your degree share the answer with us?
CDC People sharing their answers long after getting their degree's:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EcBTMrJVcAAYFVf.jpg (60.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
CDC People sharing their answers long after getting their degree's:
What's the point of posting such an out-of-date picture? CDC has been recommending masks since April or so. I don't know if Beaumont Emergency Centre is not up-to-date or if the "today" in the jpg meant some time in April.

In any case, spreading this type of misinformation is what I was referring to in my post about the potential harm the internet is doing regarding the pandemic.

Discussion is important, but let's base it on facts.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:01 AM

So it is clear. It is settled. Everyone agrees. We all know what to do.
Wearing a mask alone in your car will save us all.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
So it is clear. It is settled. Everyone agrees. We all know what to do.
Wearing a mask alone in your car will save us all.
For some reason, I am concerned that you are mocking my last post. If that is not the case, I apologize.

I don't think things are clear or settled. What I don't like to see is people basing their discussions/arguments on false information.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:26 AM

No we posted at the same time.