Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 03:20 PM

Default Geeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Happens here every fall, have been watching the poop show since opening morning.

Trucks up and down the road all day long yet no one has asked for permission. Oh, and I always love the “road bow hunters”
I’m sorry you gotta out your with that every year bud.

Honestly I couldn’t handle it.

There’d be upside down discers all over my land by the fence entrances......
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
No, I am referring to the bull that was shot by two hunters from the Kerr road south of Pincher Creek. The two hunters drove around and past several other hunters in vehicles, stopped on the road and shot from their truck. The bull ended up wounded in the ditch. Shots were also fired in the direction of an occupied dwelling. The resident of the dwelling appeared on the scene and reported that another cow elk was also wounded near his dwelling. Fish and Wildlife were called to the scene and charges were issued. **** show for sure!
That was ridiculous! Wouldn’t you think if you were allowed to do that the other 5 trucks would of been shooting?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:09 PM

How long was the lineup for the Tim Hortons mobile truck this year? Heard they sell out of doughnuts fast.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:06 AM

Sad to hear about all the issues here in the South,

Recently moved here from Grande Prairie and was looking forward to Elk hunting in the mountains, looks like we will keep doing our Elk hunting back around GP

Unfortunately it looks like we just have more of these idiots around here given the population size, GP has it's fair share as well
Old 10-30-2020, 03:35 PM

Saw a guy rush into the bush this morning leaving his white ford truck at the side of the road. I counted 13 shots before I left the area. Absolutely bonkers.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:17 PM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
Saw a guy rush into the bush this morning leaving his white ford truck at the side of the road. I counted 13 shots before I left the area. Absolutely bonkers.
Someone GOT out of their truck? I don’t believe it.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Happens here every fall, have been watching the poop show since opening morning.

Trucks up and down the road all day long yet no one has asked for permission. Oh, and I always love the “road bow hunters
hey some time you get tired after a half day walk so you go for a little drive not all of us sit in tree stands smoking darts dressed in hecs with ozonics to cover the smell.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:15 PM

It must be getting nuts down south. I can't believe the number of people I've run in to the last couple of years that will travel a couple hours north just to hunt maybe a quarter section or two.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
No, I am referring to the bull that was shot by two hunters from the Kerr road south of Pincher Creek. The two hunters drove around and past several other hunters in vehicles, stopped on the road and shot from their truck. The bull ended up wounded in the ditch. Shots were also fired in the direction of an occupied dwelling. The resident of the dwelling appeared on the scene and reported that another cow elk was also wounded near his dwelling. Fish and Wildlife were called to the scene and charges were issued. **** show for sure!
I know that landowner personally. A few years ago he had a bullet go through his home. I have seen the holes in the walls. Several people were in the home at the time.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-01-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I know that landowner personally. A few years ago he had a bullet go through his home. I have seen the holes in the walls. Several people were in the home at the time.
Yes Chuck, and sadly this sort of carless, blatant disregard and disrespect for the landowner has far reaching consequences for all hunters when it comes to how all landowners view all hunters. I hope the two offenders in this case receive the severe punishment they rightfully deserve.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Folks in that zone aren't alone in the stray bullet category . We have bullet holes in grain bins ,irrigation wheel moves ,cattle and the most disturbing was a rifle bullet that hit my sisters house ..striking the corner of the garage and missing her by 3 ft as she stepped out of her vehicle ..I won't say it is city folk that are responsible for these infractions ,theres idiots in the country as well .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020, 09:48 AM

Curious to hear how this past weekend went in 304/305 as compared to the opener.
Cheers
Old 11-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Default 305 306 elk mad house.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
striking the corner of the garage and missing her by 3 ft as she stepped out of her vehicle ..I won't say it is city folk that are responsible for these infractions ,theres idiots in the country as well .
That is scary AF

And yes, idiots are idiots. In all walks of life. I’d be considered a city folk now but in my mind I’m still a farm kid.
There’s terrible hunters coming from urban and rural areas.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Banned

saw some interesting stuff in the mountains this year on my sheep hunt(ewe tag), rams opened on the 9th, ewes opened on the 10th, i was going in on the 9th looking for ewe for the opener the next day, saw two guys from a distance in a main drainage early in the day as headed in, one put a spotter over the shoulder of the other to look at drainage only a few hundred yards away, my first thought something was off when i saw where they were, and then saw how they were trying to glass...it gets better

they go another direction and off into the trees from where they were looking, shortly after i hear two shots, very loud, a few drainages likely heard them also loud, i figure well lucky them, must have found a ram although i was in disbelief they had any clue what they were doing, so i carried on anyway, i'm up on other side of the same large drainage going past where they shot on the other side, and carried on to my destination at the back end of that drainage where i planned to camp for the night

as i'm going along i spot them up above tree line across the valley about an hour after i heard them shooting, they dropped all their gear down in the trees as all i saw was them with rifles only and hoodies at most, nothing else, and now on a sheep trail looking and glassing ahead and trying to catch up to whatever they shot at, they were crouched and looking ahead the whole time, i just kept heading up the valley and eventually looking back and seeing them what looked to be fairly cliffed out up there and assumed they were gonna be done for the day...nope lol

well as i get well past them and around a corner, it's late in day, couple hours of light left, many kms covered and elevations gained, i run into a little band of ewes, same side of the valley but miles ahead of those guys i thought maybe maybe not they were shot at earlier? as i'm glassing they come down and water at 180 yards in front of me, panting pretty good too, decent weather and they were now in the sun where they were in shade likely lots of the day so thought maybe they just warm, they all came down for water and headed for the back of the drainage on same trajectory, this was where i hoped to find them and i did, like 4pm at this point, i figured no way i'd see those 2 guys again, their bodies will be in rough shape after all that and then to try and come as far up the valley as i was...gotta be tough no doubt, well i was wrong

so the ewes get ahead of me, i set up camp, and about half hour later danged if these guys showed up, draggin their arses a bit but still only guns with them, they hadn't quit and still clearly on the hunt with relentless persistence and determination, younger guy shooting a nice new sako, and other older guy with a new turkish single shot .410, by this point i already had my suspicions that they shot at these ewes, and so we played a little cat and mouse game of 'what do you know' for a bit, very strong euro accents so navigating some communication hurdles a little bit also, when i questioned them what they shot at earlier in the day the older one with the little shotgun said a couple grouse...sure bud, from where i was when those shots went off i would barely have heard that little 410 if at all, it was the sako that lit up that entire area that morning not some little 410 shotty, but ok, where's the grouse? where's your packs? wtf? i wanted to say those things but just played along

so...they seemed like they wanted to carry on past me, getting late in day, they are soaked and tired as hell, no backpacks, just rifles and they want to go past me? sure as heck they shot at those ewes and missed by the looks of it and i learned more later to further validate that hypothesis, at this point i knew they had a ram and ewe tag and i said hang on fellas, i've got the 6 year ewe tag also and i am camped at the end here on some ewes for the opener tomorrow, they seemed a little confused, i had to explain to them that only rams were open today and the ewes didn't open until the 10th, so i'm already here and i'll be stalking those ewes in the morning sorry about your luck, also explained to make sure they take the time to identify a ewe and not shoot a yearling ram, they clearly hadn't done any homework, they wanted to come back in the morning also, well they wanted to keep chasing them that day but once they knew they weren't even open yet they played along, i said i should be all wrapped up by lunchtime so go ahead

and sure enough saw them coming about half hour after i knocked my ewe down the next morning, they waited for the shot and came on in...i pointed up at where the ewes went and they climbed up and knocked one down from about 100 yards facing them, he hit her right under the chin and dang that sako was loud!

my ewe all knocked apart and under some snow cooling at this point, the sako was shooting a little high lol and likely a good thing they missed on day one, at least now they are legal, they came to see how i get the meat out and ask what they legally have to take out, so i explained to them what all had to take with them and to take pictures of everything, carcass etc., should they get checked, they seemed handy with a knife and worked fast although i was a few hours ahead of them

loaded my ewe up and headed back to camp, cooled meat further in the small creek and packed up camp and had lunch, they came by with their ewe while i was eating and thanked me, seemed like nice enough guys but really clueless on all that is sheep hunting including the regs, they are lucky the weather was good, it gets even better...

so i decide to hike out after lunch, ewe is thoroughly cooled and good to go, going to be amazing eats, ewes killed 11 kms back 1000m higher than parking lot, anyway, long 48 hours for me and i was back to truck by dinnertime with very cooled meat, was only about hour from truck when i ran into them going back in with no gun, not jackets, no bear spray, no nothing, no packs...to get their camp and was nearing sunset, good thing there was no fresh grizzly sign in there, anyway, they told me they just hiked the meat out and put it in the car and going all the way back in to get their camp? like wtf? how tough are these guys? that old saying if you're gonna be dumb you'd better bet tough came to mind, like wow, they really don't know what they are doing, sheep got no cooling then to sit for hours in the car while heading back in for their gear? i hope they got out ok and made it to camp before dark as they didn't have a headlamp i'm sure, there wasn't that much light left, i hope they like gamey meat

anyway, it sure added some mystery and amusement to my hunt and glad i was able to guide them and help them with the rules a little bit lol, the wear and tear they put on their bodies in that 48 hours they must still be feeling today lol

the point of this story is...i wouldn't be surprised one bit if the guys who shot this elk from the truck in front of many witnesses on posted land near a house....looked exactly the guys i ran into on my sheep hunt

just....wow

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 11-13-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Default So busy this year.

It's been so busy this year. Too busy. Takes the fun out of it.
Shot my bull on opening day 20 minutes after watching a bull drop by a hunter we didnt know was near. Basically raced two other hunters to intercept my bull.

If this isn't just COVID busy, but just the way it is now, we need an orange vest rule. Too many people chasing the same animals.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Welp, reading this has convinced me to wear orange for the rest of November.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:09 PM

Still nice and peaceful in the bush all the hunters I see are on the road. Almost no boot tracks heading into the bush. Odd set of boot tracks going down pipelines

But if you road hunt don’t forget to use turn signals lol
Old 11-13-2020, 05:56 PM

I was way out there in 305 last week when I shot my mule doe. It was quite a bit of work to get her up the hills and out to the road, like 6 hours of work, by myself. Never had been so grateful, for the help I received from two true sportsmen for the last 100 yards to the truck. They had actually glassed me a couple hours before, watching me pulling the beast out by myself. When it was turning dark, they drove out to the road and made sure I was okay, and proceeded to help me the last 100 yards (which would have been at least another hour of hard pulling by myself).
Of all the douchebaggery I witnessed in 305 this season, it was so refreshing to see decency still exists.
If you two are reading this, once again, thank you so much for the hand. I hope your season is a great one! Your kindness was truly the highlight of the season for me!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:58 PM

I was out in 304 today, hiked into my to my spot deep in the bush by first light, and the sheer amount of hunters out is pretty astounding for a Friday. I can understand it being slammed on a weekend, but this is just silly this year.

Every single roadside access point had at least 2-3 trucks parked along it.

Interestingly I only heard one shot the whole day, so not much action going on.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
saw some interesting stuff in the mountains this year on my sheep hunt(ewe tag), rams opened on the 9th, ewes opened on the 10th, i was going in on the 9th looking for ewe for the opener the next day, saw two guys from a distance in a main drainage early in the day as headed in, one put a spotter over the shoulder of the other to look at drainage only a few hundred yards away, my first thought something was off when i saw where they were, and then saw how they were trying to glass...it gets better

they go another direction and off into the trees from where they were looking, shortly after i hear two shots, very loud, a few drainages likely heard them also loud, i figure well lucky them, must have found a ram although i was in disbelief they had any clue what they were doing, so i carried on anyway, i'm up on other side of the same large drainage going past where they shot on the other side, and carried on to my destination at the back end of that drainage where i planned to camp for the night

as i'm going along i spot them up above tree line across the valley about an hour after i heard them shooting, they dropped all their gear down in the trees as all i saw was them with rifles only and hoodies at most, nothing else, and now on a sheep trail looking and glassing ahead and trying to catch up to whatever they shot at, they were crouched and looking ahead the whole time, i just kept heading up the valley and eventually looking back and seeing them what looked to be fairly cliffed out up there and assumed they were gonna be done for the day...nope lol

well as i get well past them and around a corner, it's late in day, couple hours of light left, many kms covered and elevations gained, i run into a little band of ewes, same side of the valley but miles ahead of those guys i thought maybe maybe not they were shot at earlier? as i'm glassing they come down and water at 180 yards in front of me, panting pretty good too, decent weather and they were now in the sun where they were in shade likely lots of the day so thought maybe they just warm, they all came down for water and headed for the back of the drainage on same trajectory, this was where i hoped to find them and i did, like 4pm at this point, i figured no way i'd see those 2 guys again, their bodies will be in rough shape after all that and then to try and come as far up the valley as i was...gotta be tough no doubt, well i was wrong

so the ewes get ahead of me, i set up camp, and about half hour later danged if these guys showed up, draggin their arses a bit but still only guns with them, they hadn't quit and still clearly on the hunt with relentless persistence and determination, younger guy shooting a nice new sako, and other older guy with a new turkish single shot .410, by this point i already had my suspicions that they shot at these ewes, and so we played a little cat and mouse game of 'what do you know' for a bit, very strong euro accents so navigating some communication hurdles a little bit also, when i questioned them what they shot at earlier in the day the older one with the little shotgun said a couple grouse...sure bud, from where i was when those shots went off i would barely have heard that little 410 if at all, it was the sako that lit up that entire area that morning not some little 410 shotty, but ok, where's the grouse? where's your packs? wtf? i wanted to say those things but just played along

so...they seemed like they wanted to carry on past me, getting late in day, they are soaked and tired as hell, no backpacks, just rifles and they want to go past me? sure as heck they shot at those ewes and missed by the looks of it and i learned more later to further validate that hypothesis, at this point i knew they had a ram and ewe tag and i said hang on fellas, i've got the 6 year ewe tag also and i am camped at the end here on some ewes for the opener tomorrow, they seemed a little confused, i had to explain to them that only rams were open today and the ewes didn't open until the 10th, so i'm already here and i'll be stalking those ewes in the morning sorry about your luck, also explained to make sure they take the time to identify a ewe and not shoot a yearling ram, they clearly hadn't done any homework, they wanted to come back in the morning also, well they wanted to keep chasing them that day but once they knew they weren't even open yet they played along, i said i should be all wrapped up by lunchtime so go ahead

and sure enough saw them coming about half hour after i knocked my ewe down the next morning, they waited for the shot and came on in...i pointed up at where the ewes went and they climbed up and knocked one down from about 100 yards facing them, he hit her right under the chin and dang that sako was loud!

my ewe all knocked apart and under some snow cooling at this point, the sako was shooting a little high lol and likely a good thing they missed on day one, at least now they are legal, they came to see how i get the meat out and ask what they legally have to take out, so i explained to them what all had to take with them and to take pictures of everything, carcass etc., should they get checked, they seemed handy with a knife and worked fast although i was a few hours ahead of them

loaded my ewe up and headed back to camp, cooled meat further in the small creek and packed up camp and had lunch, they came by with their ewe while i was eating and thanked me, seemed like nice enough guys but really clueless on all that is sheep hunting including the regs, they are lucky the weather was good, it gets even better...

so i decide to hike out after lunch, ewe is thoroughly cooled and good to go, going to be amazing eats, ewes killed 11 kms back 1000m higher than parking lot, anyway, long 48 hours for me and i was back to truck by dinnertime with very cooled meat, was only about hour from truck when i ran into them going back in with no gun, not jackets, no bear spray, no nothing, no packs...to get their camp and was nearing sunset, good thing there was no fresh grizzly sign in there, anyway, they told me they just hiked the meat out and put it in the car and going all the way back in to get their camp? like wtf? how tough are these guys? that old saying if you're gonna be dumb you'd better bet tough came to mind, like wow, they really don't know what they are doing, sheep got no cooling then to sit for hours in the car while heading back in for their gear? i hope they got out ok and made it to camp before dark as they didn't have a headlamp i'm sure, there wasn't that much light left, i hope they like gamey meat

anyway, it sure added some mystery and amusement to my hunt and glad i was able to guide them and help them with the rules a little bit lol, the wear and tear they put on their bodies in that 48 hours they must still be feeling today lol

the point of this story is...i wouldn't be surprised one bit if the guys who shot this elk from the truck in front of many witnesses on posted land near a house....looked exactly the guys i ran into on my sheep hunt

just....wow
Great story! Had a few good chuckles in there lol.

Sad part is tho that there are more people like this than one realizes