Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Personally,I think that Alberta should only allow nonresidents to hunt species that their home province allows Albertans to hunt in that province.If I can't hunt mule deer or elk in Saskatchewan,why should Saskatchewan residents be allowed to hunt mule deer or elk in Alberta?
I think I can see your point
I can also see it as I'd like to go on a coon hunt[we don't got any here where I live] and if I had a friend in some province[other than Ont or Que] that didn't have something I have, then why not share. {just a whatever as I really don't want to hunt coons}
Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I think I can see your point
I can also see it as I'd like to go on a coon hunt[we don't got any here where I live] and if I had a friend in some province[other than Ont or Que] that didn't have something I have, then why not share. {just a whatever as I really don't want to hunt coons}
And I do see your point,it would be nice to hunt other species that we can't hunt in Alberta without having to hire an outfitter.However,I can't justify letting people from Saskatchewan hunt our elk and mule deer,if we can't hunt theirs.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
However,I can't justify letting people from Saskatchewan hunt our elk and mule deer,if we can't hunt theirs.
elkhunter11 I would agree again. I've never hunted anything I have here at home anywhere else, so if I can hunt my own species so can they. How about a Swedish moose for an Alberta moose? Seems to me that outfitters have a little to much to say about what we can do here eh.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Default great topic,

hi guys i was hoping this year to find a kind friend who just wants to hunt and meet a guy who lives to hunt just like the nxt,i also need to be hosted and am just offering my friendship,what happens after that is between the two new freinds,i would like to put my 2 cents in if i may ! i have been hunting saskatchewan wt since 2000, and believe me i have shot some great deer there ,but they are going way down hill,their herd has been kicked the s**t out of from to many hunters and not enough rules,this is hard to say but they need the host a hunter program before its too late,for a fella like myself who is just dying to find a friend to be hosted ,is a good thing for you albertans , this way you can control the amount of hunters and who is hunting in your neck of the woods , i hunt in many places every year and make new friends all the time, these friendships last for ever, and cost nothing , i am a businessman and go on alot of hunts with clients who have become great friends ,try it you might really enjoy it and who nos ,you might find a pal and hunting buddy for a life time, all you guys who live and hunt in alberta ,god bless you all , you are all great guys, and keep fighting to protect what great hunting you have cause it can be distroyed in very little time,thkx , magnumjoe.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Hey cdn buck. I sent you a couple of pm's you need to read. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 PM

If I had listened to the Naysayers I never would have Hunted & earned My Goat in BC. I started on message Boards looking for help on Where & How to be able to hunt what i wanted most , A Mountain Goat.
Sorry my pics were taken Old school and i dont have a scanned photo in the field,however i have an Old one of him on my wall. No Monster but the memories I made and friend made i could not put a price on, But I got him and it only cost me my travel expenses ,Hunting licence,tag,royalties for about $1000. Then taxidermy fees here.

The first year i hunted Goats in BC we came home empty handed for Goats because the Grizzlies there were hanging to close to camp,However i did take My first Black Bear. I went back for a color phase 3 years ago and connected again.

Oh Oh lets see,I would love to hunt Mountain Caribou....I shot the worlds smallest and Andy who i invited along took a B&C Bou.

Oh Oh there was that time I may have been invited on a Coastal Grizzly hunt because my new friend was drawn. Again something i would not have been able to without the original questioning on a message Board. All done within the law and within the means of what we could afford.We travelled by Jet Boat ,slept in it,cooked on it.

Dang then there was the time time a new friend came out for Antelope this Fall.
These guys were not rich either and if it was reward to see their smiling faces and hear their hunting stories in camp then i guess i must have broke the law.
The system we have is great and without abuse it should continue to work for others wanting the same for years to come.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
If I had listened to the Naysayers I never would have Hunted & earned My Goat in BC. I started on message Boards looking for help on Where & How to be able to hunt what i wanted most , A Mountain Goat.
Sorry my pics were taken Old school and i dont have a scanned photo in the field,however i have an Old one of him on my wall. No Monster but the memories I made and friend made i could not put a price on, But I got him and it only cost me my travel expenses ,Hunting licence,tag,royalties for about $1000. Then taxidermy fees here.

The first year i hunted Goats in BC we came home empty handed for Goats because the Grizzlies there were hanging to close to camp,However i did take My first Black Bear. I went back for a color phase 3 years ago and connected again.

Oh Oh lets see,I would love to hunt Mountain Caribou....I shot the worlds smallest and Andy who i invited along took a B&C Bou.

Oh Oh there was that time I may have been invited on a Coastal Grizzly hunt because my new friend was drawn. Again something i would not have been able to without the original questioning on a message Board. All done within the law and within the means of what we could afford.We travelled by Jet Boat ,slept in it,cooked on it.

Dang then there was the time time a new friend came out for Antelope this Fall.
These guys were not rich either and if it was reward to see their smiling faces and hear their hunting stories in camp then i guess i must have broke the law.
The system we have is great and without abuse it should continue to work for others wanting the same for years to come.

Fantastic post springer ... I hope to much of the same in my lifetime. Nothing wrong with becoming friends and sharing experiences outdoors. Gotta love the internet. It really as shame that money has to come before passion in some cases.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Default both sides

thanks again everyone . Now I have heard both sides and that story about the mountain goat, who could argue the success of that friendship. I guess only an outfitter.
I think sometimes people read to much into regulations. I stayed up last night and came up with a few conclusions.
The alberta government didn't make up these regulations to make outfitters rich, they made these regulations to make out of province hunters responsible to their hunter hosts, so that somebody would be watching over them so that alberta game and landowner laws were respected, not abused.
If you want to talk regulations, in manitoba the regulation states that the definition of hunting includes "worrying, persueing, chasing...."
"WORRYING"
I think if you took this litteraly everyone who hikes, scouts out of hunting season or even stops his car to look at a buck is guilty of hunting out of season or off a road. POACHERS
Anyway, i have made two new friends already on this site who offered to take me hunting. I was surprised and very thankful , there are some amazingly good people in alberta, and i hope to make a lasting friendship. These people werent even interested in a trade just good people. But of course as a friend i would def help them out in any way i could.
Before I found this website my wife was getting pretty sick of listening to me talk about deer. thanks for the chat.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 AM

cdn hunter I am not trying to be rude but you are the exact reason that we in Saskatchewan need very badly to put new regs in to reduce non res hunters. You say your a manitoba resident but you want to trade a manitoba OR Saskatchewan huint for a mule deer hunt. Your trying to bring a nonresident to another province in exchange for yourself. This is as close to illegal outfitting as it gets. We can say all we want about trading NEW friends hunts, thats bs. You are also forgetting about the NEW regs coming in to Sask this year about non resident canadians. They are not set yet but there is talk of draws or outfitters only for non resident canadians. Alberta has a great hunter host program but it is being abussed by people who advertise for new friends to go hunting with. I think your advertising for something that you as a nonresident are not elliglble for next year.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 AM
sheephunter

I haven't seen anyone on here say you shouldn't be able to hunt with buddies in other provinces and have them hunt here. What I've seen is a few guys giving the OP a heads up that what he is proposing may be illegal and since F&W monitors this board and has made arrests as a result of posts on here, it would seem to me that posters should be sure of the laws before posting their activities. I've never heard of F&W coming down on a couple buddies that hunt together and share expenses just as any hunting buddies do but to flat out offer a trade of one hunt for another to people you have no relationship with seems to contravene the Hunter Host law and from discussions with F&W, so do they. At that point it's not two buddies going hunting....it's a trade for benefit. Take it for what it was, some friendly advice to help keep you from getting in a bind...........
Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 AM

an outfitter is someone who takes compensation. I dont think going huning with someone is compensation, its just having fun.
I will talk to a game officer and if there is a problem with it,I will not do anything thats illegal.
Honestly i dont want to hurt my reputation, if there is a legal problem i will not go to alberta.
But just to let you know i had one guy from alberta, offer to take me hunting, and did not want switch hunts. Just a nice guy, wanting to help out another passionate hunter. He even offered that i stay at his house. There are some unbeleivable people out there, god bless them.
But as for sask wanting to switch to the hunter host program, i was told by an officer it was to reduce complaints by landowners and other hunters of problem hunters from other provinces. People not respecting the land. It is not being put in place to make sure that everyone going to sask has to pay an outfitter.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn buck View Post
an outfitter is someone who takes compensation. .
You are 100% correct CDN and they are licenced to do so. Our hunter host regulation goes far beyond specifying compensation, however......................

"A Hunter Host may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept a fee for services, directly or indirectly."

There's no getting around the fact that offering a straight hunt trade is "gain or reward"

Make some friends here and go hunting with them and then that friend comes hunting with you one day without it being part of an arragement advertised on a messageboard, then you are using the hunter host program as intended.

Some guys may disagree with this law and some make valid arguements but it doesn't change the fact that it's the law!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM

I think if you have been friends for along time or just become friends, either way if you hunt with each other in different provinces, you are receiving the same benifit, which you say is illegal. It shouldnt matter if you have been friends longer its still a benefit.
Anyways thanks for the thought, i'm only trying to figure out the laws not trying to argue or miss use them.
I wish i could change the wording on the post, but not sure how.
Just a regular working class guy that lives and wants to hunt in western canada. Definitely not a poacher.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I think if you have been friends for along time or just become friends, either way if you hunt with each other in different provinces, you are receiving the same benifit, which you say is illegal. It shouldnt matter if you have been friends longer its still a benefit.
Anyways thanks for the thought, i'm only trying to figure out the laws not trying to argue or miss use them.
I wish i could change the wording on the post, but not sure how.
Just a regular working class guy that lives and wants to hunt in western canada. Definitely not a poacher.
Once again CDN...you are missing the point. You offered a hunt trade to "anybody" not a friend.....to accept that offer would be illegal. I don't say it's illegal...the Wildlife Act does. It's very clear.

You get too much of this hunt trading going on and we'll lose our Hunter Host program here which would be tragic. It allows many hunters to enjoy days afield with friends and family that they couldn't otherwise.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM

maybe the regulations should define friendship, to guys willing to share the experience of two different hunts seems like the making of a friendship.
It does not seem to have anything to do with greed or wanting to disobey the law.
Outfitters who want to lease up all the land and charge crazy amounts of money that i can never afford seem to me, to be doing the moral wrong.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 AM

I agree 100% with sheephunter. You are totally missing the point. You say that your take on the propossed Sask regs changes is to keep PROBLEM non-resident hunters whow are creating problems. That my friend would be a Manitoba resident offering a Saskatchewan hunt in exchange for an Alberta mule deer to someone you don't know up until you posted your want add. You are gaining and putting a value or price ( the exchanged hunt ) on your trade to a starnger. Trades like this are the ire of the hunter host program.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
maybe the regulations should define friendship, to guys willing to share the experience of two different hunts seems like the making of a friendship.
It does not seem to have anything to do with greed or wanting to disobey the law.
Outfitters who want to lease up all the land and charge crazy amounts of money that i can never afford seem to me, to be doing the moral wrong.
cnd

I think what just about everyone has said is look back to your original post and then look at the law. What you did was in fact in contravention of that law and some well meaning people were pointing it out to you. If you wish to join this board to meet some like minded people I want to say WELCOME. If you happen to make some friendships on this board with like minded people I say CONGRATS.

Now if next hunting season you and your new friend from the board wish to meet and do some hunting I say GREAT. Use the hunter host program and go hunting and you would be in perfect compliance with the legislation.

See the difference?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Well I'm sure even if they did define friendship, it would not include an anonymous poster on a messageboard offering a hunt trade to "anybody"

I appreciate the fact you want to hunt in Alberta and I appreciate the fact you can't afford an outfitted hunt and I appreciate the fact you may not be familiar with our laws but they are laws. Make some friends here and your problem will be solved.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Hugin&munin

hey cdn just got of the phone with f$w my offer stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Well I'm sure even if they did define friendship, it would not include an anonymous poster on a messageboard offering a hunt trade to "anybody"

I appreciate the fact you want to hunt in Alberta and I appreciate the fact you can't afford an outfitted hunt and I appreciate the fact you may not be familiar with our laws but they are laws. Make some friends here and your problem will be solved.
Well thanks for all your advise, i have been on the website a fair but lately, And it does seems that now i have made afew friends, with people that agree with my values and love of the outdoors.
So sheephunter can you can you tell me if infact if these people are my friends, or if they just want something from me?
I guess i should have worded things differently, but to me anyone who loves the outdoors and wants to help out his fellow hunters is in fact a friend of MINE.[/U][/B]Once again i will check with resources, but i dont think im doing anything wrong.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin&munin View Post
hey cdn just got of the phone with f$w my offer stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks you so much for your offer, although i already had an offer from one gentleman of an albertan, who doesnt want to trade a hunt , he just read all these posts and thought he would help out a fellow outdoorsman. God bless him.
I guess no one will have to complain about this post anymore because there is no benefit to him other then him helping me out.
I hope me smiling is not legally benefit to him, i dont want him to get in trouble.
If you have any questions though about hunting manitoba, feel free to ask.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Thanks you so much for your offer, although i already had an offer from one gentleman of an albertan, who doesnt want to trade a hunt , he just read all these posts and thought he would help out a fellow outdoorsman. God bless him.
I guess no one will have to complain about this post anymore because there is no benefit to him other then him helping me out.
I hope me smiling is not legally benefit to him, i dont want him to get in trouble.
If you have any questions though about hunting manitoba, feel free to ask.
CDN...I haven't seen anyone complaining.....I've seen a lot of guys just trying to offer a little advice regarding the regulations and helping a fellow outdoorsman stay out of a bind. Rather than the insulting remarks, perhaps you should thank a few of those fellows for keeping you out of a bind and helping you discover the legal way to do things? I haven't seen anyone saying don't come...just lots saying this is the way to do it legally.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM

One other thing sheephunter, natural resources, doesnt allow there to be a value on a deer tag. I license is not allowed to be sold, it is the property of resourses. Outfitters that have these tags dont own them and they can be taken away at anytime. Outfitters are only allowed to charge for their services. i dont think alot of hunters or even outfitters even know this.
So in effect allowing someone to hunt with you should not be considered anything which has value, as long as no money or property changes hands.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Your original post did not just say a hunt in Manitoba. You offered a Manitoba or Saskatchewan hunt. Your not a resident of Sask and can't show ( guide ) someone around another province. As sheep said. Meet someone, become his or her friend and take them on a hunt. NO PROBLEM, but don't offer to guide in another province.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
One other thing sheephunter, natural resources, doesnt allow there to be a value on a deer tag. I license is not allowed to be sold, it is the property of resourses. Outfitters that have these tags dont own them and they can be taken away at anytime. Outfitters are only allowed to charge for their services. i dont think alot of hunters or even outfitters even know this.
So in effect allowing someone to hunt with you should not be considered anything which has value, as long as no money or property changes hands.
CDN...once again your ignorance of the Alberta system is alarming. Outfitters do indeed own tags here and can sell them, for whatever value the market will bear. Also, we don't have Natural Resources here...we have a Sustainable Resource Development department.

CDN, you came on here with the best of intentions I'm sure but you obviously have little understanding of the Alberta Wildlife Act. Lots of guys have offered advice on better understanding it and working with in it. You stepped on your (male part) with your first post...it happens. Learn from it. Continuing to stomp on it isn't doing you much good......other than bringing attention to yourself from Fish and Wildlife.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
troller

Quote:
You stepped on your dick with your first post..
I thought this was a family board?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Gee I wonder if theres going to be Friendship Forms in next years Regs.
I sure wouldn't want to have Steered you in the wrong direction CDN Buck.
Better make a summer visit before next Fall and have coffee to make it official,Oh and keep a receipt in case you get questioned, and your host should keep his receipt for his coffee as well.

Good luck to ya,and way to go on Your Hunter Host inviting you on an Alberta Adventure.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
I thought this was a family board?
Edited just for you troller....
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM

I am not trying to argue, i am just trying to have a discussion.
And honestly i was surprised how wonderful most people have been on this site.
But i have definitely gotten the impression that some people just don't want anyone other then very rich Americans to hunt in Alberta, who inturn in order to run their business lease up all the good hunting land, and stop even the local guys from hunting.
I'm not against all outfitting, but let an ordinary guy hunt.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM
troller

Quote:
Edited just for you troller....
don't matter, it's in my quote. Why should I get a warning for WTH and you get away with this.

You contribute to the magazine do you not? Do you write stuff like that and submit it to AO?
Closed Thread