Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Default what a weekend!

went out for the first weekend of rifle season (im not a bowhunter.. yet.. LOL) wound up heading out the elk river road. saw a beauty 4 point whitetail, but after seeing him.. realized i didnt have the bolt in my gun! lesson learned there!!

saw a couple more does walking about until the heat set in (+27?!?! ) didnt see much of anything, so i figured we would head out to where I have seen some elk wandering about. turned up the road, and i hear the all too familiar *PSSST* *PSSST* *PSSST* *PSSST* *PSSST* *PSSST* of a flat tire! !!!!!

not sure which is worse.. having a flat.. or having a jack that DOESNT JACK THE TRUCK UP HIGH ENOUGH!!!! thankfully a hunter came by after about an HOUR with no one coming by. we jacked the sway arm up and got the spare on. continue day.. we do some hiking to my elk spot, toss out bugles for about an hour.. de nada.. so we figure its starting to get late, and we will head to some open fields closer to the river, try to get a deer who is moving for some water out int he open... on the way back out.. we run into the SAME guy who helped me out.. (who by the way had already bagged a 3x4 muley, and a huge cow of a whitetail! same height as the mule buck, but lanky)

here he is on the side of the road about 2-300 feet from where i had my flat.. and i figure "no way he got another animal did he..??" as i get closer i see he is jacked up with a tire off! what the hell! i pull up and check to see how he is doing and he holds up a EIGHT INCH WELLHEAD BOLT! now I ask.. how the HELL do you LOSE an eight inch bolt off of a wellhead?!?! i met him at 5pm on my way out.. his deer (in the back of a pickup) were shot at EIGHT am at first light.. both deer... done for... such a sad day for this guy.. filled two tags and wound up having major wastage on them...

thankfully sunday went better..

saw a bunch of bears (no tag again!) and a spike muley out the cordell road... nothing much else.. was WAY too hot for the animals..

and that my friends.. was my weekend
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM

Sounds like a good weekend. Next time block the jack up. Any pics of that WT?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM

didnt even have time to raise my gun let alone take a picture of him! lol!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300wsm3006rem View Post
so...did you help the Gent change his tire???...offer to get his animals to a cooler???...did he not have a spare?????
Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Was talking about the other WT.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM

he didnt have a spare but had the big thick offroad tires. so they pushed it with the tire gone down to 5psi (4.5 inches of rubber, enough to protect the rim)

if i would have had a cooler big enough or had enough gel ice packs (i usually take 10 with me, but the heat melted them all in 5 hours) I would have given him a bunch of the ice packs or ice to cool the animals down a bit.

I followed him back to the main road (nice and smooth, able to get back to the sunchild easy) and didnt find him the entire way back to drayton valley. ive heard from him on a different forum too. at the point I got back, there was really nothing that could be done about the animals, meat was already turning blue from spoilage

i didnt get any pics of the whitetail as I was a little busy trying to brainstorm a way for him to get his catch and vehicle out of the bush and back home S&S
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
he didnt have a spare but had the big thick offroad tires. so they pushed it with the tire gone down to 5psi (4.5 inches of rubber, enough to protect the rim)

if i would have had a cooler big enough or had enough gel ice packs (i usually take 10 with me, but the heat melted them all in 5 hours) I would have given him a bunch of the ice packs or ice to cool the animals down a bit.

I followed him back to the main road (nice and smooth, able to get back to the sunchild easy) and didnt find him the entire way back to drayton valley. ive heard from him on a different forum too. at the point I got back, there was really nothing that could be done about the animals, meat was already turning blue from spoilage

i didnt get any pics of the whitetail as I was a little busy trying to brainstorm a way for him to get his catch and vehicle out of the bush and back home S&S
Hoping I am wrong....but did he sit there for 10 hrs.??...without skinning the animals ???..or doing something???....and no one came by out there in 10 hrs.??????? or 9???....800-1700?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM

no no no. he didnt sit there for ten hours.. he rescued us around 3pm, i met him again at 5 pm. he was road hunting with a friend, was staying cool while they were out.. he was just on his way back into town.. as for why he didnt skin them.. i really dont know.. didnt ask!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Default Flats

We were out that way to staying at Wolf Lake, had 3 flats in 2 days.........didn't see much, and even worse missed a full day of being in the bush.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 PM

If he had two animals down at 8am shouldn't he have headed back to town to take care of his meat. Especially if it was going to be 27 degrees out. could have gotten his meat to a cooler and had time for evening hunt.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Hey Jager,was that you looking for chickens while your buddies were on the phone trying to get hold of tow truck? We only saw the deer on Wolf Lake road,before we got into 340. Saw evidence of a big bear off of Coyote Creek road. Thought it was a damn horse from the size of them piles! Someone had nailed a cow moose sometime between sat and sunday am-gut pile hadn't been picked at at all.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM

You saw bears near lodgepole??!!??
Haha, hunted that area for years and haven't seen one bear, not even at track!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Is mule deer open in 339??