Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 09:32 PM

Default Antelope

I drove back from the Assiniboia area in Saskatchewan today. The antelope, population appears quite good! What a nice sight to see.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:15 AM

Great to hear. After 16 years building priority I finally drew my tag last year. One of the most fun hunts I've done. Its really too bad we cant draw a tag every 5-6 years.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:47 AM

I could pull my tag this year , its just hard finding some else that is at priority 13 and wants to tag along .
Old 04-23-2024, 09:04 AM

Yes the population seems to be doing well. Seeing more and more moving west, approaching Calgary city limits. The first one I saw this year was at Keoma.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I could pull my tag this year , its just hard finding some else that is at priority 13 and wants to tag along .
My suggestion, is find someone that has the points to pull their tags and pull them in consecutive years. That way you both get 2 hunts instead of one. With only a 7 day opening it’s nice to just have one tag to worry about and put your full attention to.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
My suggestion, is find someone that has the points to pull their tags and pull them in consecutive years. That way you both get 2 hunts instead of one. With only a 7 day opening it’s nice to just have one tag to worry about and put your full attention to.
I second this… such a short season, and with all the hunters out there, you’ll definitely feel pressured to shoot so the other guy can get an opportunity… best advice i can give is to spend at least 3-4 days before the season scouting and getting permission. Hopefully you can find a big mature one and go after him first thing opening day.
I pulled the tag in 2022 and opening morning there were 3 guys chasing my #1 shooter. I don’t know if they ever got him, but i left the area and drove 30km and found my #2 buck and hammered him before noon.
It’s a really fun hunt, but there are a LOT of guys out, and you’ll definitely have pressure. I really think you’d be better off pulling one tag instead of two.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:39 AM

In my 40 years of living in good goat country, my advice would be that though you may see them from the highway that does not necessarily extrapolate to a good healthy population.

The critters do filter towards greener grass and that typically is near the highways where the snow catches. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post

This is not my first rodeo hunting them ,must be close to 7 hunts on them now. Used to get them every 3 -4 years and a lot of times we did not even put in for them because I got more into sheep hunting My last hunt after I dropped mine I looked at my old hand held GPS to record the kill spot then I noticed the one i got 8 years earlier was only 1000 yards away ! Wow !
Whats the chances of that happening . I guess them being shoot in the same field, they had the same genetics . Both sets of horns looked the same when held side my side the second buck also got awarded a trophy threw our club .Should not be hard dropping two bucks again on opening day .
Old 04-24-2024, 11:13 PM

I think im at priority 20 this year.

I wont be pulling a tag because i cannot seal a deal for permission. Last year I was about to apply and the landowner changed his mind.......

Someday........
Old 04-25-2024, 06:20 AM

Default Antelope

Increase in antelope population is result of higher coyote prices in the past few years. Coyotes now has gone to the price that it is no longer profitable to buy gas or diesel to go kill a hundred of them.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:56 PM

I prefer to solo hunt antelope. Walk out of sight of the gravel roads, and you seldom see anyone else. Given their fantastic eye-sight, hunting solo increases your stealth dramatically. No problem packing those little buggers out - especially if you use the ‘gutless method’ and only pack out the meat & the head. Carry a simple compass, and it’s tough to get lost in that country. You won’t be falling off of mountains or bumping into bears - it’s a safe hunt made for the solo hunter! But I’m no longer anxiously driving around looking for the 18+ inchers anymore, just a nice, mature animal will do. This year I should get drawn for non-trophy - and that suits me just fine!