Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Surprised that Ron Smith at Wimborne wasn't mentioned, likely one of the most respected barrel guys in North America. Nice to think that we have some world renowned talent in AB.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetski View Post
Surprised that Ron Smith at Wimborne wasn't mentioned, likely one of the most respected barrel guys in North America. Nice to think that we have some world renowned talent in AB.

Go to Ron Smith then.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Go to Ron Smith then.
Thanks, I'll likely give him a call, but if I hear of others doing good work I'll check them out as well. I'd like to keep the work local western Canada.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:32 AM

Ron is mainly doing only barrels and BPCR stuff these days, but he does work on "modern " stuff as well.
Depending on what I need, my goto riflesmith is Rangesports Unlimited in Kamloops , turnaround is faster than anyone I have ever used, and the work they turn out is world class, match winning accuracy, be it a hunting rifle or match rifle.

For pistols, it is either Murray Charlton in van. or Gunnar Christianson in Prince George.

For my shotguns I have a local guy who is getting old, but does top shelf work....

Cat
Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 AM

I've had Ron Smith install and chamber a barrel for me back in 1997, top shelf is all I can say, I have no less than 8 different bullets that shoot tremendously in that rifle.

Paul Reiben at Range Sports Unlimited, has done one stock inlet for me and is in the process of installing one of Ron Smith's barrels on a rifle for me. I've seen first hand the work that Paul Reiben has done for other people, and his work is again top shelf.

Ditto to what Cat said, Ron Smith is doing very little hands on right now, his Son or Son in Law is doing most of it now.

And if Ron can't supply your barrel, there is always Ted Gailliard, his barrels are top notch often winning more than their fair share of competitons too.

Are the waters muddy enough for you now?

There are no absolutes