Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I seriously don’t see an upside for the Oilers this year. Same team....
Aren't they actually worse, with Maroon gone, Sekera and Lucic another year older, and no significant changes to the line up? Chiarelli is in a tough spot, but when you've failed to make the playoffs 10 out of the last 11 years, and then think last year was the anomaly because you didn't make it, there seems to be gaps there. Oh well, maybe everyone will have a career year, or they'll go spend some dough on JVR, trade for Faulk.....

Any concern regarding Talbot? Other than 2016 (where the numbers were close) his SA% has been decreasing and his GAA has been increasing every year since 2013, his rookie season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
We got the $ to pick up a winger..... then it’s playoff land baby!!!
I think the only winger that really makes sense is JVR and he is expected to get $6-$7 million for 6 to 7 years. I'd hope they don't pay big money for Neal, Perron, Nash, etc. maybe Vanek or Grabner, but I doubt they'd swing your fortunes enough. Who are you thinking they're going to pick up that is going to cause a 18 pt uptick in the standings?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Oh imma thinkin some big wagers Twix you an me bub.....

Yer gonna pay big time!

Go Oil!
Yeah, it's pretty much a given. I'm all out of that crappy Crown I won, but it sure killed the dandelions good....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Who did Calgary get in the first round, second round, third round fourth round?

What have they stocked their cupboards with for depth?

BW
i don't think the flames had a pick in the first four rounds, until they traded for a fourth round pick from montreal.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:39 PM

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much a given. I'm all out of that crappy Crown I won, but it sure killed the dandelions good....
If you win another bottle of good Crown off me next winter.... I’ll send ya some o them lil foo foo umbrellas so you can stick em in yer glass.... it’ll make ya feel better.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-25-2018, 05:25 AM

I think the only winger that really makes sense is JVR and he is expected to get $6-$7 million for 6 to 7 years. I'd hope they don't pay big money for Neal, Perron, Nash, etc. maybe Vanek or Grabner, but I doubt they'd swing your fortunes enough. Who are you thinking they're going to pick up that is going to cause a 18 pt uptick in the standings?[/QUOTE]

We have no money at all for a free agent. Unless it's a trade, no substantial change is happening from what we have now.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
We’re gonna storm back baby!

We got the $ to pick up a winger..... then it’s playoff land baby!!!

Go Oil!
A winger won’t help Talbot stop the puck.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:04 AM

I also don’t get the signing of Benning. He is so soft that it’s sick. I’ll take Gryba over Benning all day...
Old 06-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Aren't they actually worse, with Maroon gone, Sekera and Lucic another year older, and no significant changes to the line up? Chiarelli is in a tough spot, but when you've failed to make the playoffs 10 out of the last 11 years, and then think last year was the anomaly because you didn't make it, there seems to be gaps there. Oh well, maybe everyone will have a career year, or they'll go spend some dough on JVR, trade for Faulk.....

Any concern regarding Talbot? Other than 2016 (where the numbers were close) his SA% has been decreasing and his GAA has been increasing every year since 2013, his rookie season.

I think the only winger that really makes sense is JVR and he is expected to get $6-$7 million for 6 to 7 years. I'd hope they don't pay big money for Neal, Perron, Nash, etc. maybe Vanek or Grabner, but I doubt they'd swing your fortunes enough. Who are you thinking they're going to pick up that is going to cause a 18 pt uptick in the standings?

Yeah they could be a step worse for sure. Will have to see what transpires in the offseason.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
First ranking I looked at:

Sporting News

The Hockey Writers had him at 8:

Hockey Writers

As for your sure fire top 5, if you paid attention to what you wrote, "Bouchard was the very clear No. 5".... he wasn't at the time of the draft. Bob ranked him outside the top 5....

TSN

Maybe you got a good player, but I don't think its exceptionally good luck that a player with an average ranking of 10, from three separate rankings, was selected 10th overall.

Not sure where you got your information but any of the "credible" predraft rankings had Bouchard as high as 4th and as low as 7th.

ISS - 6th

Central Scouting 4th among NA skaters

Hockey Writers - 4th

Bob McKenzie - 7th

Hockey News - 7th

Great looking prospect despite the Flamer protestations and obscure references.

Wish my Blackhawks had taken him instead of Boqvist in the 8 spot.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 PM

Them flamers are all tooth gnashy cause they got nothing in the cupboard for prospects.

Yamamoto, and a couple other youngins are gonna have barn stormer years.

Lucic had an off year.... and there’s a good chanc Montreal will take him ( we’ll be eating salary no doubt)

Gonna be a big year..... Battle of Alberta’s gonna be a blowout boys!

Oil domination!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Banned

Default Soilers

Still have their 6 million $$$ pylon. That combined with a terrible defence and goaltending will keep them a Draft Lottery Team. When KLown's kid. Gets a contract to play D you know they are terrible. 9he is even slower than his old man)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
Still have their 6 million $$$ pylon
Ok.... now that’s pretty funny. Lol.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:38 PM

Last edited by Trochu; 06-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM

Fast Forward June 2019 Flames/'Canes Stanley Cup Final

Brouwer beats Dougie wide to score winning goal 4 game sweep.

Ferland out with a concussion!!!!

Wait......wait for it.....Oilers wondering who their first overall pick will be....
Old 06-25-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Quite wise of you to delete. Enough said. BTW, this was a thread on the Oilers draft. You jumped in.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

Roper out with a concussion!!!!

Wait......wait for it.....Oilers wondering who their first overall pick will be....
Fixed it for you since you must of hit your head today....
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Fixed it for you since you must of hit your head today....
Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

Ferland out with a concussion!!!!

Hey, Weed isn't legal yet or have you been drink'n before post'n!

If the Flames are lucky they'll be picking in the top 10 next year, in stead of trading for a 4th rounder!

BW
Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Quite wise of you to delete. Enough said. BTW, this was a thread on the Oilers draft. You jumped in.
And you'll note I was discussing the Oilers draft and only initially mentioned the Flames as another member, who appears to be an Oilers fan, had a question regarding the Flames draft picks.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
And you'll note I was discussing the Oilers draft and only initially mentioned the Flames as another member, who appears to be an Oilers fan, had a question regarding the Flames draft picks.
Must have been a short question!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Must have been a short question!
Short answer.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM

This could be a good pick for the Oilers. They need some D.

Hopefully Bouchard is back in Junior next year and then a season or two in the AHL. Rushing prospects into the NHL has not worked for the Oilers.

He could be Russell's replacement when his contract runs out.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

We have no money at all for a free agent. Unless it's a trade, no substantial change is happening from what we have now.[/QUOTE]

Here's what will change:

*McDavid emphasizes goal scoring over playmaking from the onset - expect 50+ next year
*Lucic comes into camp motivated, angry, and ~220 lbs, not 235
*Nuge plays the entire season on McDavid's wing
*Puljujarvi matures even more and establishes himself with Drat on the second line at 20/21 years old
*Klefbom comes into camp healthy and with luck remains so
*Sekera is further removed from his ACL injury and plays like the confident defender he was in 2016/2017
*Nurse matures and further develops an angry, punishing game
*One of Yamamoto, Bouchard, or Benson make the club out of camp
*Talbot starts the year 0-0, and the Oilers hit the quarter season mark in contention where he doesn't have to play EVERY night

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
We have no money at all for a free agent. Unless it's a trade, no substantial change is happening from what we have now.
Here's what will change:

*McDavid emphasizes goal scoring over playmaking from the onset - expect 50+ next year
*Puljujarvi matures even more and establishes himself with Drat on the second line at 20/21 years old
*Sekera is further removed from his ACL injury and plays like the confident defender he was in 2016/2017
*Talbot starts the year 0-0, and the Oilers hit the quarter season mark in contention where he doesn't have to play EVERY night
And the both the PP & PK improve over last year. New coaching on both will help. Hopefully we make through the year without asking to decline a PP
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This could be a good pick for the Oilers. They need some D.

Hopefully Bouchard is back in Junior next year and then a season or two in the AHL. Rushing prospects into the NHL has not worked for the Oilers.

He could be Russell's replacement when his contract runs out.

Bouchard was one of the older kids drafted Friday and already has 3 years of major junior under his belt. He may go back to junior for the year after 9 games in the bigs, play some tournaments for Canada, but I'd bet he won't do/require much seasoning in the A.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Here's what will change:

It won't be Benson.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Here's what will change:

*Talbot starts the year 0-0, and the Oilers hit the quarter season mark in contention where he doesn't have to play EVERY night[/QUOTE]

I like your way of thinking!

If Mcdavid and Nuge stay healthy 97 will put up 120 points 93 will be knocking on the century marks Door.

I’ll even go further out and predict they make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs if everyone can maintain a reasonable level of health.

Yeah I’m an Oilers fan. Have been since 1972

BW
Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Here's what will change:

I like your way of thinking!

If Mcdavid and Nuge stay healthy 93 will be knocking on the century marks Door.

I’ll even go further out and predict they make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs if everyone can maintain a reasonable level of health.

Easy there big fella. Move away from the bottle. Sloooowly. There you go.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:10 AM

I believe last years problems originated with the defense core. This led to Talbot's confidence issue which snowballed and the team never recovered.

No team in playoff contention should be changing up your 5th, 6th and 7th d-man on a nightly bases in January. If you are, there is a serious problem on the back end. Your top 4 can not play playoff minutes for the entire season.

I believe this was the Oiler's problem last year and frankly I am a little surprised they are not making some moves to secure a number 1 or 2 d-man or at least a veteran leader presence on the d-core. Nurse isn't quite there yet and Sekera and Klefbom wouldn't say #$%^ if there mouth was full of it.

Look what Willie Mitchell did for the young guys in Florida. He showed them how to play with heart every night and be accountable. With such a young captain we need that kind of presence and we traded it away with Hendricks.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Look what Willie Mitchell did for the young guys in Florida. He showed them how to play with heart every night and be accountable. With such a young captain we need that kind of presence and we traded it away with Hendricks.
Agreed the move of Hendricks was a serious loss. Bad read by the GM and coach on that one.