Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Lung cancer

I know it's very vague subject title. But don't have many answers right now. Anyone with any experience, advice, recommendations etc., it is all appreciated. My 36 yr old wife has severe pain in her chest. Went to ER. Got xray then immediate admission to a CT scan. CT AND XRAY both indicated cancer. Bloodwork after 1 week shows exact same white blood cell count, which is through the roof. WBC Didn't recede at all with aggresive antibiotics, indicating cancer. Tests show a Tennis ball sized mass in her lung. Have to wait until June 27th for a biopsy, but she is getting worse every day. I can't even hug or hold her because she can't breathe. Getting desperate for any sort of help. If anyone has any sort of experience or advice, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 PM

No experience with this myself. But I wish you and your wife all the best. I’ll say a prayer for the both of you

BW
Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 PM

I don't know what to tell you first. I think that starting a prayer chain for her recovery would be of utmost importance and the sooner the better.
Secondly, you indicate her symptoms are worsening by the day. You need to get her to that biopsy ASAP. How do you do that? Well, her attending physician would be her first option, but, maybe it would expedite things if she was taken to emergency. She needs to be at the head of the queue. Time is of the essence and a biopsy can be done after the tumor is removed.
Her cancer is aggressive by the sounds of it. She cannot do it alone. You have to hold her hand and demand things get done.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
I don't know what to tell you first. I think that starting a prayer chain for her recovery would be of utmost importance and the sooner the better.
Secondly, you indicate her symptoms are worsening by the day. You need to get her to that biopsy ASAP. How do you do that? Well, her attending physician would be her first option, but, maybe it would expedite things if she was taken to emergency. She needs to be at the head of the queue. Time is of the essence and a biopsy can be done after the tumor is removed.
Her cancer is aggressive by the sounds of it. She cannot do it alone. You have to hold her hand and demand things get done.
Thanks. I know we can't wait a month. I'm very concerned but don't know what to do to speed things up. All indications point to late stage cancer. I feel like I'm watching her die right in front of me and am unable to help. Love this woman. Too young for this to be happening.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
No experience with this myself. But I wish you and your wife all the best. I’ll say a prayer for the both of you

BW
Thank you
Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM

I don't have any experience to offer you any advice (my dad and uncle passed from other types of cancer)...but I will say that you will be in our thoughts. It's a terrible thing to face, and I sincerely hope for the best for your wife. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Thanks. I know we can't wait a month. I'm very concerned but don't know what to do to speed things up. All indications point to late stage cancer. I feel like I'm watching her die right in front of me and am unable to help. Love this woman. Too young for this to be happening.
what to do to speed things upTake her to the emergency department nearest the cancer clinic. If she is struggling for breath, she needs immediate attention. The day after tomorrow is TOO LATE! Get as many relatives to go with you.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
what to do to speed things upTake her to the emergency department nearest the cancer clinic. If she is struggling for breath, she needs immediate attention. The day after tomorrow is TOO LATE! Get as many relatives to go with you.
Better yet, Call a ambulance from inside Calgary and close to the Foothills hospital. (Cancer Clinic)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 PM

If shes having trouble breathing and in severe pain, take her to emergency, tell them whats going on.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 PM

If her doc can't get her in to the cross cancer like yesterday, emerg seems like the way to go. One of my best friends had lung cancer and when he had breathing issues, emerg was the first stop. At least they get you on oxygen and meds to calm the panic that comes with it.

I hope your wife is seen asap. The sooner she meets with a cancer doc, the better.

Good luck, take care. Stressful times but those docs can do wonders. Hoping for the best for your wife.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If shes having trouble breathing and in severe pain, take her to emergency, tell them whats going on.
That's the thing. We went to emergency. Then they ran all these tests. Now told to wait....
Old 06-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

Friend of mines dad had lung cancer. I think he quit smoking and the Drs operated on him. He lived long enough for old age to get him.

I wish your wife and you all the best. Stay strong and positive. Don't believe aĺl the doom and gloom on the internet either because there is a lot of depressing crap on there.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

So sorry to hear about your situation. My sister works at the cross doing ultrasound, I can ask her if there's anything you can do to help. Sorry I'm not much help, I don't usually ask her about her work.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

You can phone 811 (Health Link) for free health related advice from a registered nurse in Alberta... it is a very good service. Best wishes to your wife and you.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...x.html#contact
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM

I've had high grade prostate cancer which gives me some experience but given that I don't know if there is any pat or correct answers. Trust me, I wish there were. If there is any way you can convince her doctor of how bad it is progressing it is worth a try. Getting mad will close doors, being persistent might open some doors. If her doctor is asleep try to find another. This hurts but ask them to be honest. Sometimes they hold back information I guess trying to be nice but for me the truth is important. Be with her every trip & don't try or think you can fix it. You can't. Get 2nd & even third opinions if possible. Just be a friend to her and try to understand what she is going through. Sometimes, hopefully not here patients get angry & take it out on their loved ones. If that happens don't give up. Keep pushing the health system & stand beside her. It's not an easy road. May God be with both of you at this very trying time. Oh how I detest cancer!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 PM

So sorry to hear this!! We are pulling for you, your wife and family. Lots of good stuff out of CBD, can’t hurt to start on it right away. Thoughts are with you all!!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 PM

Prayers to you both.

My advise is whatever is most aggressive and intrusive, do it. Don't waste time with the "we'd like to try this and see if it helps" crap. Time is not on your side. If they suggest taking a section of the lung as an option, do it. Your wife is young enough and strong enough to handle the surgery.
If they're going to take biopsies make sure they get one of ALL the tumors, and make sure they get a positive ID on ALL of them. There could be more than one kind of cancer and while they're treating one, the other could flourish.
Get antsy and demanding now. Be polite when it's over.

Obviously I'm not a doctor and maybe shouldn't give you such advise, but I've known 2 people that I cared about do the exact opposite of what I wrote and both were gone within a year.
I love my wife dearly as I'm sure you do yours. Do what ever you can now.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:02 AM

Sorry to hear of this news. My prayers go out to your wife, you and family.

IMO, find a doctor that will listen and act fast. Get second, third opinions as mentioned. Be strong for your wife and family. As already mentioned, i would say if she is having severe breathing problems and pain, call an ambulance, get her admitted, if you live in or near Calgary, Foothills Hopital with the Cancer clinic connected to it.

My Dad was 75 and he was having a routine medical close to his birthday when He asked for a chest xray. He said he always had one before prior to moving to Cochrane. His new doctor wrote up the recosition request. The X-ray showed 2 small spots in one lung close to the heart. Next thing his doctor called the Foothills Cancer, spoke with a Thurasic Surgeon. Surgeon knew by looking at the. X-rays. The following week my Dad was in for a screening. Couple weeks later he had surgery to remove the lower lobe on his right lung. All fast tracked. The cancer tumors were “twins tumors” and a cancer so rare that very few case studies had been known. The surgery was performed because they said my Dad was in great shape for his age-better than a lot of 30 -35 year old athletes, if I remember correctly. His Doctor and Surgeon are great men!! My Dad and I were suppose to go on a Father/Son salmon fishing trip that July as it had been 10 years since we had did it previously. The trip was put off till 2 years till he was 77. We had FUN!!

My Dad called it his “Extended Warranty” and was forever grateful to his family doctor and the surgeon and staff at the Foothills Lung ward.

Again, prayers and best wishes to you all.

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 06-05-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I know it's very vague subject title. But don't have many answers right now. Anyone with any experience, advice, recommendations etc., it is all appreciated. My 36 yr old wife has severe pain in her chest. Went to ER. Got xray then immediate admission to a CT scan. CT AND XRAY both indicated cancer. Bloodwork after 1 week shows exact same white blood cell count, which is through the roof. WBC Didn't recede at all with aggresive antibiotics, indicating cancer. Tests show a Tennis ball sized mass in her lung. Have to wait until June 27th for a biopsy, but she is getting worse every day. I can't even hug or hold her because she can't breathe. Getting desperate for any sort of help. If anyone has any sort of experience or advice, I'm all ears. Thanks.
call 911 now
Old 06-05-2018, 05:53 AM

Terrible situation for a young couple to find themselves in. My wife and I will say a prayer for you. I don't know what else to say. Terrible.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2018, 06:14 AM

Praying for speedy treatment and a good outcome.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:36 AM
Banned

I have been hearing amazing things about hydrogen peroxide and ozone therapy, i just picked up a gallon of food grade %35 hydrogen peroxide from om the hydroponics store and I'm going to start taking it myself.

Alot of people also talk about a more alkaline diet and alkaline water,, i keep all my filtered water highly alkaline and i have felt great since i made that a priority.

I'm not sure it will help but maybe worth doing some research on?

Hope everything works out for the best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxtT4FBp-o
Old 06-05-2018, 06:43 AM

My sympathies to you and your family right now. I know firsthand how helpless you feel watching a loved one suffer while you're told to wait. Its hard to understand that there are unfortunately many in your situation and only so many resources to address everyone.

Best thing you can do is be supportive. First off, don't walk around the house mad, panicked, or frustrated. A calm demeanour (at least on the surface) will help her calm down too.

Second, look into getting some medical oxygen in your home. I haven't done this in Calgary but perhaps HealthLink will direct you to how to procure this. This will help immensely and make the waiting part a bit more bearable.

Third, keep everyone hydrated - all body systems work better when hydrated.

I hope the situation improves, all the best.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:45 AM

A friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer years ago. Underwent surgery, removed a large part of one lung and he lived several years afterwards with no recurrence.
Don't know your financial circumstances, the Cancer Clinic Of America uses state of the art medical treatment, apparently with pretty good results.
My best wishes for you and your wife.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I can't speak for other facilities but the treatment my wife received at the Red Deer Hospital was incredible. It was almost happening too fast to absorb all the info. Diagnoses just before Christmas, surgery 2nd or 3rd of January, absolutely awesome surgeon that kept us fully informed, excellent aftercare and 5 years cancer free. They have recently upgraded the cancer treatment center so everything you might need is right there. The smaller town atmosphere might be less stressful than the big city for her.

Treatment has come a long way and a cancer diagnoses is no longer an automatic death sentence. A positive attitude from all around is imperative so make certain she is surrounded with encouragement. The internet is full of ridiculous claims from miracle cures to conspiracy theories. As difficult as it may seem, try to keep her focused on positive things she enjoys doing rather than searching the web for answers. Your doctors will keep you well informed and discuss your different options throughout the process, or at least they did with us here in Red Deer.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
hope for the best and get her into emergency NOW

take care my friend Cement Bench
Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
X2. Good luck Bloopbloob. The tests and uncertainty are nerve wracking. Wife also has a Tumor on her kidney (2.5”). Just finished ct scans, blood work, X-rays. However to book appointments takes 2-3 weeks. She particularly doesn’t like the assigned doctor. Looking at different doctor. Then longer wait times. The pain from Tumor does not allow her to sleep. Taking meds to dull pain, however she does not sleep well. I have to admit. We are angry at Alberta health. Seems to be non functioning, and you cannot book appointments. They call you when to book the appointment. When you have paid millions (yes millions between the two of us combined (50% my tax dollars going towards healthcare)), you receive terrible service. This is a crime. The tax system is a joke. The next test is Monday. May decide to remove kidney. Thinking about heading south. Good luck Bloop.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
X2. Good luck Bloopbloob. The tests and uncertainty are nerve wracking. Wife also has a Tumor on her kidney (2.5”). Just finished ct scans, blood work, X-rays. However to book appointments takes 2-3 weeks. She particularly doesn’t like the assigned doctor. Looking at different doctor. Then longer wait times. The pain from Tumor does not allow her to sleep. Taking meds to dull pain, however she does not sleep well. I have to admit. We are angry at Alberta health. Seems to be non functioning, and you cannot book appointments. They call you when to book the appointment. When you have paid millions (yes millions between the two of us combined (50% my tax dollars going towards healthcare)), you receive terrible service. This is a crime. The tax system is a joke. The next test is Monday. May decide to remove kidney. Thinking about heading south. Good luck Bloop.
Sorry to hear that. Nobody should ever have to go through stuff like this, but I know it happens daily. We are certainly not alone. Really sucks. Good luck to you and your wife as well, positive thoughts being sent your way.

Thank you to all who have responded and PM'd me

The waiting, and not knowing, and lack of urgency from health care are definitely extremely tough on the mind. She has always had a fear of needles, needs to be held down, and cries though it. She has nightmares now about what the future holds in a hospital room. Neither of us get any sleep between that and her cough attacks every 10minutes. It's not just physically tough, it runs you down mentally. Having to have honest conversations about death, and the kids and their future etc. is gut wrenching

Last edited by bloopbloob; 06-05-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM

I have no advice to give.

I can not imagine what you are going through and this thread has really opened my eyes. Always so busy planning and preparing for the future. Never know when life is going to throw you a curve ball.

Prayers sent for you and your family. Please keep us updated on the progress of her treatment. Keep your chin up, lots of advancements over the years and many people you talk to are survivors these days.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Banned

Thoughts and prayers, stay strong, it's good talking about this and getting it out in the open and asking for help and guidance, wish I had some insight, take care.