Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
That was a fiber optic network to connect all schools and government buildings.
Yes, fiber optic and MW. Most of the internet companies in Alberta get access from Super Net.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Pretty obvious why internet in rural areas sucks. Same reason why you don't get phone signal in the bush. Makes no economic sense for them to spend huge amounts of money putting in lines, nodes, etc. so the provider can get a measly $65 a month back. Take into account discounting, and the net present value of implementing (never-mind when you account for upgrading the network) the projects are almost universally in the red.

This is where governments are handy, such as the CRTC declaring broadband internet a human right, meaning enhancing access and usability of rural internet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/crtc...vice-1.3906664

The end reality is though, it's just one of the trade-offs of living in a rural area, especially a secluded one. Want good, fast, reliable internet for a reasonable price? Move to a populated area.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Explore net newest satellite has been way better then the old one.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 PM

I’m on cci, and it’s ok.
Switched to xplorenet because I was promised faster speeds, but it was completely unusable (and that is not an exaggeration).
Cost me $500 to discover that.
Stay away from xplorenet.
You’ll get better internet with smoke signals.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

I'll agree with everyone who dislikes Xplorenet.
I've been with Bell for a while and am fairly happy with their service.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM

I’m on mcs net now with 8.2 download and .9 upload . It’s the best for out here . Was on xplorenet and it was about 10x slower . It would take 30sec to download AO page on tapa talk
Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 PM

I just moved 2 RR up to my new place. I had Xplorenet at the old place and it sucked alright. So when I got here I tried to get a different provider, no go they all said their service couldn't reach me. So Xplorenet again, I even got the tower install, $200. bucks. Well the first two day's where just like the old address, nothing but problems. So we called and the Tech came out. Work at it for a while then told me he installed a brand new receiver, bingo internet has been great since then. He said most of the receivers they install are rebuild's and most of them are crap. He is pushed to use the rebuild's but when he has this kind of problem people get the brand new ones. Anyway maybe bitch and tell them you want the new receiver, might work? Did in this case.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 PM

I did a speed test and I get 1.9 Mbps download and .7Mbps upload, pretty much sucks. the upside is Telus is supposed to upgrade my part of town late next year when they have already upgraded most of the town last year, so things maybe looking up for me! I still pay what others do that have faster connections.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Try this page

https://servicealberta.ca/WISP_Search.cfm

Type in the legal land description and they will tell you who offers internet service there. I'm in the city, so I have no idea how useful/reliable the information is (it comes from a government, so I'm skeptical )

ARG
Hang onto your skepticism. I punched in my land location and got a list of every provider in northern Alberta. Only Explornet and CCI available. I personally have moved on to cynicism.
Thanks for the site.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
How does one check what speed there net is ? I’m in the sticks and I would like to share my story
Try this:

http://beta.speedtest.net/

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Why can't I stream BBC earth in 4k on Netflix!?!

Because you chose to live in the country. Lots of wonderful things about it, and some not-so-wonderful. The rural techno-geeks here will steer you straight.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Our family has been through this time and again.
We have had every concievible option.
We live in a heavily wooded area and our nearest tower is many many miles away.
We have had very good luck with a booster on a tower coupled with a Telus smart hub.
Without the booster we can get by but it's painful. With the booster we can do work, stream Netflix or android all day. We have yet to go over on our allotment.
What type of booster exactly does a guy need for the Telus hub?? I think I want to switch to the Telus hub (I'm in an eligible area) but want to do it right from the start. Do you mount it to the roof of your house?? Thanks
Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Just a quick update on the Telus Hub. This discussion made me check again whether i was eligible for the hub and the Telus website said i was, so i figured great i'll go get one right now. When i went to the local Telus dealer they said to make sure you have a fairly good LTE signal since that's the only signal the hub will work off of. Turns out the signal at my house switches back and forth from LTE to 3G so i'm assuming i'd have connection issues.

Just thought i'd share that even though the website say's you are in the coverage area may not mean it'll work. At least according to this dealer.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Just a quick update on the Telus Hub. This discussion made me check again whether i was eligible for the hub and the Telus website said i was, so i figured great i'll go get one right now. When i went to the local Telus dealer they said to make sure you have a fairly good LTE signal since that's the only signal the hub will work off of. Turns out the signal at my house switches back and forth from LTE to 3G so i'm assuming i'd have connection issues.

So is there a booster available that will boost your LTE signal ??
Just thought i'd share that even though the website say's you are in the coverage area may not mean it'll work. At least according to this dealer.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post

I’ve got 3 LTE bars on my phone where I’m at. I’m gonna check out this Telus hub.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I’m on cci, and it’s ok.
Switched to xplorenet because I was promised faster speeds, but it was completely unusable (and that is not an exaggeration).
Cost me $500 to discover that.
Stay away from xplorenet.
You’ll get better internet with smoke signals.
I'd like to know what your path is like. Any obstructions? What kind of distance? Was your service LTE? I have absolutely no issues with xplornet. Even with the outdated Motorola Canopy transceivers that I'm using. I am getting 25mps and even up to 35mps download speeds. Every day, all day.

But....and this is the thing, for those of you complaining about wireless internet service in the country, bear in mind a few things. If your path is obstructed, even just with a few leafy trees. If your path also is excessively long. If you're expecting 4k video streaming. If you're expecting multi-player internet gaming. ....Then you're in for a surprise. As someone said earlier, the country has its advantages. It also has its disadvantages. I get a kick out of people who complain about poor internet service and have locations that are a whisper and a prayer from being ideal. Or who are looking for 4k video streaming in a wireless service.

My situation is ideal. Not everyone has a 3/4 mile unobstructed view to the tower. That's why my service is exceptional. But xplornet's customer service is bad. I'll give you that. But then again, so is Bell's. Don't get me started about Bell.

EDIT: I just did a speed test on my system. Even through a router, I'm getting 25.08mps upload and 9.56mps download right now.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM

I Picked up my telus smart hub 9 months ago, my telus Dealer told me i had 15 days to try it and if it didn't work i could return it. needless to say i still have it. and it works awesome.

i did have xplorenet and it was nothing but a pain, it was the largest package they had and "upto" 25Mbits. and it was very poor if i got 5Mbits/s they told me its "UPTO" 25Mbit/s. with all the wasted time on the phone to them as well it was not worth the time.

So by Xplorenet standards if you pay for 250L of fuel, when you get only 10L's of fuel when you want it. that means you are still getting some but only as much as they will give you. cuz they have only so much to give and that's all you get, even if you can't ever get the 250L ever but you still pay. for service since your on a contract.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
There has been booster talk through this thread, i'd like to know as well if this is possible as that would likely solve my issue.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I'd like to know what your path is like. Any obstructions? What kind of distance? Was your service LTE? I have absolutely no issues with xplornet. Even with the outdated Motorola Canopy transceivers that I'm using. I am getting 25mps and even up to 35mps download speeds. Every day, all day.

But....and this is the thing, for those of you complaining about wireless internet service in the country, bear in mind a few things. If your path is obstructed, even just with a few leafy trees. If your path also is excessively long. If you're expecting 4k video streaming. If you're expecting multi-player internet gaming. ....Then you're in for a surprise. As someone said earlier, the country has its advantages. It also has its disadvantages. I get a kick out of people who complain about poor internet service and have locations that are a whisper and a prayer from being ideal. Or who are looking for 4k video streaming in a wireless service.

My situation is ideal. Not everyone has a 3/4 mile unobstructed view to the tower. That's why my service is exceptional. But xplornet's customer service is bad. I'll give you that. But then again, so is Bell's. Don't get me started about Bell.

EDIT: I just did a speed test on my system. Even through a router, I'm getting 25.08mps upload and 9.56mps download right now.

We switched to xplorenet because their tower was about a mile away as the crow flies, and there was absolutely nothing in the way. Out cci was good, but the tower was very far away, so rain or snow would sometimes kill our signal.
They promised up and down that they’d get us straightened out, but in hindsight they were stalling so that our trial period would be over, and they wouldn’t have to give us our install money back.
After the time limit was up, they said “it’s a shared service with all your neighbours, and what you’re getting is what you get”.
Crooks.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey cox View Post
we switched to xplorenet because their tower was about a mile away as the crow flies, and there was absolutely nothing in the way. Out cci was good, but the tower was very far away, so rain or snow would sometimes kill our signal.
They promised up and down that they’d get us straightened out, but in hindsight they were stalling so that our trial period would be over, and they wouldn’t have to give us our install money back.
After the time limit was up, they said “it’s a shared service with all your neighbours, and what you’re getting is what you get”.
Crooks.
hmm, bad luck.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Default Why does rural internet SUCK ??

You work for xplorenet?
Bad luck...
Yeah that’s it.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
You work for xplorenet?
Bad luck...
Yeah that’s it.

Relax. No, I don't. Just putting across some points for readers to digest. I'm not trying to start any fights here. YMMV is my theme.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I’ve got 3 LTE bars on my phone where I’m at. I’m gonna check out this Telus hub.
The smart hub will work great if you have 3 bars on your phone!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Why does rural internet SUCK ??

Sorry 6MT. Any snarkiness is directed at xplorenet, not you.
I get grouchy reminiscing about it.

Last edited by Dewey Cox; 12-19-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Trochu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I live in the sticks in the West Kootenays, BC.
Internet service is with Shaw.

I just used that ^ speed test:
85 Mpbs download
8 Mpbs upload.

Not bad for the sticks I guess. It seems to work OK for us.

Selkirk
Old 12-19-2017, 03:37 PM

I’ve had the Telus Smart Hub for a couple weeks and it works very well. It will work on 3G or LTE. Have about 2 bars service on a phone and the Hub will get me about 30 mbs download. $75/month gets you 250MB. No complaints about it at all
Old 12-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
The smart hub will work great if you have 3 bars on your phone!
Checked with telus and it's not available in my area. I might inquire in person.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Checked with telus and it's not available in my area. I might inquire in person.

I’ll bet you can get it. I’ve got one and very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I would. I only have 1 bar on LTE and get decent speeds on the smart hub
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I’ll bet you can get it. I’ve got one and very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you have gpn before?