Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Default best 12 gauge side by side

I need some help... can someone give me some advice on a good 12 gauge side by side shotgun. wheatherby? beretta. my budget is 5000. thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 PM

PM incoming!!
Cat
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Lots of great guns out there for 5K$. There was an article in one of the hunting mags about a Company in the US that produced a custom grade side by side at less than custom grade prices. I not sure about the name of the manufacturer however the gun was a beauty and the writer gave it top marks. Less than 5k$ as I recall. Might have been the Connecticut Manufacturing Co. They also manufacture the A.H. Fox. side by side. Check it out.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Lots of great guns out there for 5K$. There was an article in one of the hunting mags about a Company in the US that produced a custom grade side by side at less than custom grade prices. I not sure about the name of the manufacturer however the gun was a beauty and the writer gave it top marks. Less than 5k$ as I recall. Might have been the Connecticut Manufacturing Co. They also manufacture the A.H. Fox. side by side. Check it out.
Many of Connecticut Vally's guns are OEM by either the british or Italian firms.
Cat
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Banned

Default slight hijack

Does anyone know whatever happened to the Ruger Gold label?? I know they were supposedly going to temporarily shut down production but I never heard if they started up again. It was supposed to be a pretty good shotgun if a little on the plain side. I was always waiting for them to come out with a 20g.

Having said that, for $5000 I would keep my eyes open for a good used SXS maybe an old LC Smith in one of the higher grades or a Fox, or maybe a Parker, or maybe a Winchester 21. Most of them are in the states but for a few hundred bucks and some patience I understand they can make their way up here.

I saw an old 1920's LCSmith at a pawn shop a few years ago that I wish I would have picked up. 12g, field grade, good bores, terrible wood, 30" barrels, $500. Put some money into it and some patience and it likely would have been a good field gun.

Something about carrying an old shotgun that you know has been used for decades to harvest game. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your search and look forward to seeing what you wind up with.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 AM

gunbroker.com has just about everything under the sun. there is also a shop in lloydminster called prophet river, and i bought a rifle from them before christmas. the service was great, and i wouldn't hesitate to buy there again. they also have some nice shotguns. i asked him( i believe his name is clayton?) about bringing firearms across the border for me and he said no problem. charges a fee, but saves the buyer all the hassle.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Might have been the Connecticut Manufacturing Co.

dmac, you're thinking of the Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company and their RBL (Round Body Boxlock). They look very nice particularly at a $2,950.00 starting price. There are quite a few options available as well. If you can believe what is written in the mags, it has has several very good reviews.
Kennedy, for five grand you've got a good variety of options from Merkel, AYA, Arrietta, Grulla among others although with the exchange rate it might get close to your ceiling with a couple mentioned. At the end of the day, make sure what you choose fits well. It doesn't matter how much you pay if you can't hit anything.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Thank you very much to everyone who has given there input. i guess, the fit will be the number one aspect but how does someone try these guns out if most retailers don't carry them? i wonder in bass pro is already open in calgary. maybe they have a few of those brands.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Default sxs

there are a number of us in calgary, some will be at the dewinton club at 1:00 today. generally there are two categories of guns owned; older / used british and new fine quality. the older used route will get u a fair example of a classic sxs. new is only limited by your budet, PM an Ill get you intouch with fwe of the experts
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM

In reading and talking to a few people the last few days, I found out that Fausti is apparatnly making the L.C.Smith for marlin and the Weatherby Anthenas!
I found this out while ordering a fausti SXS in 28!!
no matter, The fausti Stefanno catalog is a lot "nicer to look at than the marlin or Weatherby anyway - I think it has SOMETHING to do with the owners , the Fausti sisters!!
http://www.faustistefanoarms.com/azienda_homepers.asp
Cat
Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM

in my opinion the best double barrel youll get is when you turn that on its side and call it an over under and in that case the browning cynergy is a beautifuly shooting shotgun with beautiful looks
Old 02-15-2009, 01:05 AM

how expensive is the fausti sxs? and who carries them? i wonder if basspro is going to carry high end sxs.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
how expensive is the fausti sxs? and who carries them? i wonder if basspro is going to carry high end sxs.
Will Bilozir carries the faustis a s well as the AYAs and Greullas and F,A.I.R.s

The Fausti is a very comparably priced gun IMO.
Will's number is
(403) 938 6066
Cat
Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
in my opinion the best double barrel youll get is when you turn that on its side and call it an over under and in that case the browning cynergy is a beautifuly shooting shotgun with beautiful looks
A CYNERGY??!!
You gotta get out more and shoot a GOOD O/U!!
If you were going to trash a SXS thread you could have a least mentioned something like a pre 60's Superposed , or a high end Italian gun!!
Cat
Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A CYNERGY??!!
You gotta get out more and shoot a GOOD O/U!!
If you were going to trash a SXS thread you could have a least mentioned something like a pre 60's Superposed , or a high end Italian gun!!
Cat
lol my apoligies alas that is the nicest gun iv ever shot. i have shot a couple old side by sides iv just personaly never been a fan i like looking down one rib when i bring the gun up but thats just my personal prefrence
Old 02-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

I have had several double guns and sold my last only a couple years ago to a chap who flew from Calgary to Vancouver one Sat., picked it up and flew home.

I have had an AYA Mod. 25 S/L, a Wm. Powell & Sons boxlock, near mint and chambered for 2.75" shells, an Arizaga and a Miroku boxlock and the Browning Sidelock 20 bore I mentioned above. I have a number of friends who own Purdey's Boss, Churchills and various other highend British, German and Belgian guns and have handled quite a few of them.

A "good" gun is difficult to find at a low price, I have done it, but, you need to KNOW what you are doing and be very cautious. I do not consider some 80 yr. old, re-finished or modded non-name Brit. boxlock a "good" gun, btw, and suggest avoiding these, unless you know someone who can guide your selection/purchase with knowledge.

The "best" choice at present and they are out there, is a Beretta 627 series, made from the '60s to the '90s and a nice specimen will cost about 4K, in 95% condition. These are VERY fine, strong guns and nicely finished, but, avoid the alloy framed models and the "Garcia"-USA imports. A minty 627-EL or, especially, a 627-EELL would be a fine choice and five G's for one of the latter is a good deal, IMO.

I suggest totally avoiding Spanish guns, there ARE some fairly decent ones, but, boy, there is a LOT of crap and it is easy to get burned. I wouldn't own another AYA and Grulla, etc. is no better.

Avoid ALL the older American guns, as well, these are the most over-rated pos ever made and very few of them were worth the original price. In guns, you have to learn that simply because Joe Gunwriter states an opinion, the factual reality of the situation is often quite different.

For cheap doubles, the Browning BSS is a solid gun, clubby, ugly and heavy, but, a good place to start. The Winchester 23 and Miroku guns from Japan are much the same and even the cheap little Ithacas made by SKB there are very sound and worth buying.

A decent Merkel can be found for under five grand, the 147E series will go about three Gs, used and these are typically ugly Germanic guns, but, not too bad. Pre-war Merkels and other German guns are just superb and can rarely be found in Canada, but, are usually over your price limit.

If you find a Browning Sidelock, the original issue, THAT is a VERY sound gun and about the best choice available. A 12 in nice shape goes for about 3500 and a 20 is 7-8K and almost impossible to find now. Anyway, HTH.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 AM

There is lots of info out there on shotguns. I suggest you checkout this web site for starters:

www.shotgunworld.com

Oh, IMO, the easy answer to your question is Beretta.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
lol my apoligies alas that is the nicest gun iv ever shot. i have shot a couple old side by sides iv just personaly never been a fan i like looking down one rib when i bring the gun up but thats just my personal prefrence
I shoot them all, and have a few really nice SX's but to be honest my goto gun IS an O/U 20 gauge!
I was just yankin' your chain.
Cat
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
There is lots of info out there on shotguns. I suggest you checkout this web site for starters:

www.shotgunworld.com

Oh, IMO, the easy answer to your question is Beretta.
Lots of info ( I'm a memebr of the website) and also lots of stuck up, pompous crap as well.
It can be hard for a newby to seperate the B.S.from the unbiased info on that site.
One guy was asking about a particular gun for occasional skeet and the thread giot trashed by guys who said it was crap and wouldn't stand up.
These guys were quoting 3,000 rounds a month - the guy was asking about a gun he would maybe fire 300 rounds a month out of!!
Not all of us run that many rouns through a shotgun.....
Cat
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM

With the prices being thrown around here I'd say the best one is one that you borrow from your Buddy

tm
Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Lots of info and also lots of stuck up, pompous crap as well. It can be hard for a newbie to separate the B.S.from the unbiased info on that site.

Cat....that is true of any forum site, even see it on this site from time to time. It is still worth a look along with other sites. Sure, upper-end shotguns attract a "nose in the air" style crowd, that is part of life. Everything one reads on the net is opinion...both good and bad. Even expert opinion is just one expert's opinion.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

The majority of the guys I know who own/shoot highend sxs guns are most definitely NOT snobbish in any respect and range from retired businessmen to commercial fisherpersons and academics. They simply appreciate true quality and if you ever handle a Westley Droplock made in 1937 or a Boss made in 1906, you will very quickly understand WHY some gunnuts go apesh*t over such works of functional art.

The Grouse hunting now is not what it was and I have two combination guns, so, I sold off my doubles. IF, the Kootenays had the Ruffies and Blues of the "good old days", I would definitely have a fine sxs and USE it.

Each to his own, but, maybe check with Italian Sports here in Vancouver by phone, 604-254-7513 and tell him I sent you. He often has a decent Italian gun squirreled away and is a good guy to BS about shotties with, anyway. I have found some FINE guns there and some at killer deals....you just need to know what to look for.

If, you can find a Beretta 627 configured as you prefer, just BUY it and never look back, you will shoot it for your lifetime and so will your great-grandson.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey Kutenay, i just bought a beretta 687 silver pigeon V, it is a very nice gun and i can't wait to try it out on the range. don't know how well built this gun is since i haven't had any experience with the new gerneration of berettas. However, the one i really liked was the 471 silverhawk sxs. it weighed 6.5lb and it fit me really well. the problem was it had damaged checkering and the guy at wholesale didnt want to go down on price and said that it would probably take anywhere from 6 months to a year before i would get it back from italy. i left disapointed , went to P&D and bought the o/u. bought i still want a nice sxs. by no means am i a snob but i just like to hunt with a fine shotgun.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

On Tuesday morning, call Joe Camele at Italian and ask him about the 471, I would buy from him over Wholesale ANY day and I think that he can get you what you want and at a very competitive price.

I agree, the Berettas are damm fine guns for ANY money and they will LAST without being babied. If, I buy another sxs, it will BE a Beretta....unless I win the 6/49 and THEN, drool, slobber, moan, it would be a Kreighoff Essencia 16-28"-Cyl.-Full with cased locks, full scroll and super wood....but, we wont' go there!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Cat....that is true of any forum site, even see it on this site from time to time. It is still worth a look along with other sites. Sure, upper-end shotguns attract a "nose in the air" style crowd, that is part of life. Everything one reads on the net is opinion...both good and bad. Even expert opinion is just one expert's opinion.
You are very correct eagle eye, and Kutenay also!
The type of "nose in the air" stuff there is the guiy who figures you should buy a high end berreta , K80, or other shotgun totally out of the range of some guys who just want to bust some birds on the weekend, maybe a round of trap or skeet, maybe a partridge or two.
they thnk that because a shotgun costs less the 1K, it is worthess to anybody because it will break after a summer of registered birds!!

Kute, I own a beautiful Westely Richards SXS, and an origianl cahnce and sons muzzlwe loader, but I have nop problem hunting with a buddy who shoots a remington 1100 , or a Stoeger.
These guns sit in a ack next to Remingtons and Boitos, in fact.
i like them all, and a cheap gun certainly has its place....
Cat
I just like nice light shotugns
Old 02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Well, yeah, you have both snobs and "reverse snobs" in EVERY hobby/sport and some people are just jerks, no matter what.

So, tell us about your Westley, "droplock" or "sidelock" or the excellent Birmingham A&D "boxlock"? Bbl. length, chambers, engraving, triggers, the works!In Alberta, you have enough excellent wingshooting to use a fine piece like this and here in B.C., that really is no longer the case.

I do not "collect", I use every gun I own, but, some more than others, of course.Hinged "droplock" with extra locks, cased and two barrel sets.......maybe?**
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post

If, you can find a Beretta 627 configured as you prefer, just BUY it and never look back, you will shoot it for your lifetime and so will your great-grandson.
Looks like you and I agree on a few things Kut.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
Well, yeah, you have both snobs and "reverse snobs" in EVERY hobby/sport and some people are just jerks, no matter what.

So, tell us about your Westley, "droplock" or "sidelock" or the excellent Birmingham A&D "boxlock"? Bbl. length, chambers, engraving, triggers, the works!In Alberta, you have enough excellent wingshooting to use a fine piece like this and here in B.C., that really is no longer the case.

I do not "collect", I use every gun I own, but, some more than others, of course.Hinged "droplock" with extra locks, cased and two barrel sets.......maybe?**
Haven't looked at it for a while to tell you the truth dewey, it's has very nice damascussing on the barrels still, good curl on the wood, side lock, 12 guage, 2 1/2" chambers, open hammers, .
IIRC the barrels are 28".....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-16-2009 at 11:59 AM.