Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 05:20 PM

Default Where are the Brewers Blackbirds?

I have lots of birds at my place but I have noticed that the Brewers Blackbirds are absent. For the last 20 years my place has been infested with them. We have noticed that they are not here. I sort of miss them diving at me every time I go near a tree where they are nesting. No nests. No activity and I can not recall seeing a single one this year. Just curious?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM

I have been seeing normal numbers in their usual habitat in central Alberta.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 PM

Maybe less livestock in the local area? numbers in the Calgary area also seem pretty much typical. I was NW of Cochrane this weekend and there were plenty along the roadsides up that way.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Banned

hundreds at my place. i'll try to catch some for you.

i can't seem to keep enough bird food out for all the tweety birds
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Maybe less livestock in the local area? numbers in the Calgary area also seem pretty much typical. I was NW of Cochrane this weekend and there were plenty along the roadsides up that way.
Livestock numbers in my immediate area seem about the same. The only thing that may have changed is the number of cow birds. The cow birds usually show up in great numbers in the spring. By sheer numbers they dominate the feeding areas and water but then they move on. This year there is plenty still left in the area but seen in smaller flocks and not constantly in my yard.

What I find unusual is not a single pair of the black birds. I actually do not mind that the birds are not constantly diving at my dogs or they are not dumping their fecal sacks in the bird baths and on my vehicles and deck furniture.

It just seem that my little ecosystem or whatever has changed and I am curious as to why.

Another thing that may have changed is that is the number of collared doves. I went from none to over a hundred in my yard. The doves always seemed very submissive to the black birds but maybe the sheer numbers of the doves eventually won out?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Livestock numbers in my immediate area seem about the same. The only thing that may have changed is the number of cow birds. The cow birds usually show up in great numbers in the spring. By sheer numbers they dominate the feeding areas and water but then they move on. This year there is plenty still left in the area but seen in smaller flocks and not constantly in my yard.
Over a hundred Collared Doves!? Wow! I've seen quite a lot in the High River-Nanton area, but never those kinds of numbers! Maybe they've reached the point where they're out-competing the blackbirds for food?

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Over a hundred Collared Doves!? Wow! I've seen quite a lot in the High River-Nanton area, but never those kinds of numbers! Maybe they've reached the point where they're out-competing the blackbirds for food?
Actually I do not think they are competing for food with the black birds. Usually the black birds show up in spring and immediately go to work staking out nesting spots. I think that by the time the black birds arrived most of the nesting spots were taken by the doves.

I used to enjoy the doves when they were few but with their numbers being so high I have noticed that they do to evergreens what pigeons do to buildings.

I find feather piles where the hawks and owls have had a meal but that does not seem to dent their population. They are a very invasive species.

I am to blame for allowing my wife to feed them over winter.