Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Default Anyone use a Savage 93 in 17hmr?

I am considering getting one of these to fill the gap between my 22lr and 22-250 (shouldn't have sold my 22 mag last year). I am looking at the heavy barrel, wood stock with the acutrigger. Anyone with experiance with this gun please let me know how it shoots and how you like it.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM

My friend and i both bought one a year ago or so we love them they are deadly acurate and fun to shoot a little light if its windy but if calm they will easyly kill gophers at 100 yards plus.we have the blued synethetic version with accu triggers and then we put 6-18x50 bushnell scopes on then not that you need that big of scope but it is sure fun.my buddy put a little bipod on it they look awesome.would recomend one forsure.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 AM

I have the 93R17BV. I will NEVER sell it...ever! its the most accurate gun in my locker and its the most fun to shoot too.

.17 is an absolute laser. I topped it off with a bushnell 4200 tactical w/ mildots. ringing a 8 inch gong at 300M is easy. last summer i was clearing out gophers @ 200M with ease. the barrel hardly heats up to the point of having to let it cool off and recoil is nil. the report is louder then a 22, probably the same as your 22 mag was. the one thing i have noticed though is that accuracy is dependandt upon how clean your bore is. I clean mine RELIGIOUSLY. after every box of ammo i pull a bore snake through. i was very anal about breaking in too. some guys say break in is a waste of time, but with a quality gun like the 93, i'd say its worth your time to do it right.

the accutrigger is a sweet piece of engineering and trigger technology. I did swap my accutrigger out for a rifle basix trigger though. there was nothing wrong with 2.5lbs that the accutrigger goes down to, but i wanted alittle less pull. I now have a 16. oz. trigger pull.

this was at 200m shooting with my bipod off the truck hood!

gopher shot @ 150M
Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Love mine. Great price and it shoots like a dream. I don't have the heavy barrel.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM

I have had my 17BVSS for about 5 years. Mine loves the hornady 20 gr XTP's, as do many Savage 17HMR's. It is currently bedded into a custom stock, and I have tuned the factory trigger to about 2.5 lbs (still not perfect, but good enough). This rifle will shoot 3/4" 10-shot groups at 100 yards. The HMR is a wicked little flatliner out to about 200 to 250 yards. I shoot piles of ammo through mine.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Default I have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have the 93R17BV. I will NEVER sell it...ever! its the most accurate gun in my locker and its the most fun to shoot too.

.17 is an absolute laser. I topped it off with a bushnell 4200 tactical w/ mildots. ringing a 8 inch gong at 300M is easy. last summer i was clearing out gophers @ 200M with ease. the barrel hardly heats up to the point of having to let it cool off and recoil is nil. the report is louder then a 22, probably the same as your 22 mag was. the one thing i have noticed though is that accuracy is dependandt upon how clean your bore is. I clean mine RELIGIOUSLY. after every box of ammo i pull a bore snake through. i was very anal about breaking in too. some guys say break in is a waste of time, but with a quality gun like the 93, i'd say its worth your time to do it right.

the accutrigger is a sweet piece of engineering and trigger technology. I did swap my accutrigger out for a rifle basix trigger though. there was nothing wrong with 2.5lbs that the accutrigger goes down to, but i wanted alittle less pull. I now have a 16. oz. trigger pull.

this was at 200m shooting with my bipod off the truck hood!

gopher shot @ 150M
this post is most definatly exagerated they are a great and very fun little gun mine will shoot ragged holes at 50 yards but the bullets are too small and light to be accurate out to that kinda distance it will easily shoot 2.5 inch groups at 100 and 6 inch groups at 200 and at 200 yards its only droped about 8 inches which makes it great for goffers out to about 150 yards and hit or miss past that i have a 22LR and a 22-250 and it fills the gap very nicely and is affordable to shoot. as said the heavey barrel is nice it doesnt heat up much even after shooting 20 rounds back to back the groups at 50 yards only stretch out to about 1inch
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM

I picked one up today, plan on going to the range either tomorrow or Sunday will let you know how it shoots.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 AM

I'm a bit late on this, but you will enjoy this gun. Be prepared to try it with a variety of different brands of 17 HMR to see what it likes best.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 AM

I'm running a 9317LH with the plain old stained stock, no accutrigger, all fitted with a older 4-12 Redfield scope.

Typical breezy day 100 yd groups look look this:

On a ultra calm day 200 yd groups look like this;

both targets have 1" grids.

Just make sure you try a variety of ammunition through your rifle, the differences in brand prefrence makes no sense, but it sure makes a difference in accuracy potential.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 AM

The 17hmr is a great little varmint gun. I have a savage mako in 22, so I would highly recommend the savage...my 17mhr is a Marlin with a custom trigger- the 17hmr is a fun shooting calibre and devastating on gophers, especially with polimer tipped bullets, such as CCI or Hornady. The savage accu trigger delivers a nice break.
I also bought the little brother, a 17 mach2, and it is also a blast to shoot...being a marlin, the trigger is tough and I need to replace (should have got the savage accu) oh well...it shoots very tight groups in the 50-75 with the factory trigger, can't wait to see how it performs with the customer trigger in gopher season.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Range Results

Took it out today, was a bit breezy, probably 15-20km/h quartering wind. best 100 yrd group was .57", worst was 1.9". Average for federal 17 gr vmax ammo was 1.3", hornady 17 gr vmax was 1.1". Seems to shoot pretty good, lots of groups well under an inch. I can't wait to see what it will do to gophers, pretty sure it should average under an inch on calm days.

This is with the standard barrel model shooting off a bipod.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
Took it out today, was a bit breezy, probably 15-20km/h quartering wind. best 100 yrd group was .57", worst was 1.9". Average for federal 17 gr vmax ammo was 1.3", hornady 17 gr vmax was 1.1". Seems to shoot pretty good, lots of groups well under an inch. I can't wait to see what it will do to gophers, pretty sure it should average under an inch on calm days.

This is with the standard barrel model shooting off a bipod.
thats the kinda results i would expect, the numbers i quoted were worst groups. if others are getting that kinda accuracy at 200 im impressed, im quite happy with average 5 shot groups of about 1.5 inch at 100 which leaves my 22LR almost usless. but i dont get those results out at 200 and i assoiate it with the bullet mass not a defect in the gun. i went a step farther i shot every brand through a crono and although i was told all the brands are made by CCI federal 17grain was the most consistant and the hornady was the fastest and both were faster than the advertised speed CCI was the least consistant and also the slowest average
Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Ammo

So Jet1
What is the conclution.
Would you go with the consistant Federal or the fast Hornady?
V-max or the TNT Hollow point
Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken View Post
So Jet1
What is the conclution.
Would you go with the consistant Federal or the fast Hornady?
V-max or the TNT Hollow point
i use whichever is on the shelf in v max id probably lean towards the federal but i have 2 bricks of the hornady right now so ill be using that for awhile both are so similar that if you are using it for prairie dogs like my intention was getting the hornady for a buck cheeper a box was more than worth a quarter inch of grouping shooting from sandbags. shooting from a bipod sitting at a picknic table you arnt gonna know the difference in any practical shooting

i dont think youll find your gun will shoot the hollowtip near as well at first i thought it was casue my gun just didnt like them but i seen soemone write on a website that compared the ammo and he stated that the bullet weights were seriously inconsistant
Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM

The 17HMR is a fun little toy but the stories of its accuracy and range are a bit exaggerated. I am wishing that I had not allowed the guys at Phoenix to persuade me away from the 22LR or 22mag variation. Just the slightest breeze throws the 17 and 20 grain bullets all over the map.

A buddy of mine has the identical model design as my 17HMR, but in 22LR. His 22 is much more accurate whether at close or extended ranges than my 17.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
The 17HMR is a fun little toy but the stories of its accuracy and range are a bit exaggerated. I am wishing that I had not allowed the guys at Phoenix to persuade me away from the 22LR or 22mag variation. Just the slightest breeze throws the 17 and 20 grain bullets all over the map.

A buddy of mine has the identical model design as my 17HMR, but in 22LR. His 22 is much more accurate whether at close or extended ranges than my 17.
id have to argue that although i think alot are overstating the capabilities of the 17hmr i havent seen a 22LR that was even comparable to my 17 iv owned many 22s and im not comfident with them past 50 yards mostly due to the inconsistancy of bullets and lack of power
Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Talking

I just bought a 93f 22 wmr with accu-trigger .put a bushnell 22 rimfire 3x9-32 on it weaver mounts and bases. with cci max-mags 1875 ft/sec it will shoot same hole at 25 yds if you do your part.best group at 50 is slightly over a 1/4 inch.3 shots what an awsum rifle FUN to SHOOT ,SUPER ACCURATE. and reasonably priced.way to go savage!This comes from a dyed in the wool Remington owner.LoL
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
id have to argue that although i think alot are overstating the capabilities of the 17hmr i havent seen a 22LR that was even comparable to my 17 iv owned many 22s and im not comfident with them past 50 yards mostly due to the inconsistancy of bullets and lack of power

Argue all you want. I am glad you like the 17 Just my observation of a comparison between two Savage rimfires. The 22LR shot some beautiful little groups, much tighter than my 17. Any light breeze causes quite a spray to the fall of shot. Even at 40 yards, the groupings from the 17 really spread out across the paper. I would love nothing more than to deal my buddy out of his 22.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM

I shoot them all - .22LR. .22WMR, .17HMR and a Mach2. The 17HMR is in a Savage, heavy barrel and is a blast to shoot. Amazing accuracy. It can easily shoot with my CZ .22WMR. Bring on the wind - one more variable to learn about. Pays big dividends when you grab the LR deer gun. (Yeah, I know, should have bought the Sako Quad).
Old 02-11-2009, 12:58 PM

I love my Savage 17 HMR, I shoot it all summer and I think my (longer range ) rifle shooting has improved dramatically . With my 22 I never really got to play with the wind factor and its affect on a bullets flight path, now I sit on a little hill, bino for gophers and pick them of out to 200+ yards.

Invest in a good scope, one with mil dots, heavy barrel is nice because it doesn’t heat up as fast. Also get extra mags and an adjustable trigger
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET1 View Post
this post is most definatly exagerated
i exagerated nothing. but if you want to call me a liar... i don't care. maybe go spend more time at the range and you'll get tighter groupings too. practice makes perfect.

as for adjusting the savage accutrigger, the 93 will tune down to 2.5lbs, but you can get it even lighter by clipping the weight of pull spring. i took two coils off mine and it lightened it up real nice.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM

I have three .17s' and another on the way. Two Savages, a Henry and a Cz. Super accurate and fun to shoot. The Henry is a little inconsistant but I think that is because the barrel is not a heavy barrel. That being said, I have eight mags for the Savages and will fire as quick as I can work the bolt and the heat never affects them.

Have fun. There is a website called .17HMR
http://17hmr.net/index.php?sid=95afc...5495a879579758

Lots of good info and knowlegable people.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM

I bought 2 of the Savage 93's and sold one to a budy. Tons of shooting later and each gun likes different bullets. Mine likes the v-max hollow points and his likes the v-max poly tips even though the guns are sisters. I'll have to agree with dick 284 on this one. Try all kinds of bullets. I wouldn't have any other gun for beaver. Stops them instantly and have pulled some amazing shots. Good for the hides because of very little mess and small pinhole.

Have fun with it. They're a blast.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up

My Savage 93R17GV, Excellent Shooter

Also have a H&R Sportster 17 HMR, another Excellent Shooter

Gerry
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 PM

I picked up the savage 93FV which is a heavy barrel and cheapo synthetic stock. It will put a 5 shot group inside of 1" at 100 yards without much of a problem. Only problem I had with it was that the barrell was touching the stock when I got it and had to do some filing to float it. Other than that, the functioning has been perfect and the accuracy is nothing to complain about. Incidentally, I beleive if you check ballistics info, the .17 has less wind drift than either the .22 or the .22 mag, although it does get blown around quite badly either way.