Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Firearm Transfers During Crisis

Hi guys,

Anyone have any insight as to how long to expect transfers to take right now? Usually it’s a couple days just wondering how long to expect during this virus situation. Bought a new pistol last week and I’m hoping I’ll still be able to pick it up before we are reduced to essential services only.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 10:30 AM

On a similar topic, how long to expect for registration ?

Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 AM

four to five days in AB/SK
Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM

I wonder what the wait is going to be for new PAL applicants? My neighbor a couple of door over is applying and asked me some questions being as he's from the US of A.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:24 PM

4 days going on 5 as of tomorrow for me.. still waiting for any news

Alberta
Old 03-26-2020, 03:49 PM

Firearms Center staff is at a minimum. They posted the following info on their site yesterday ( no mention of transfers that I can see)

"Impacts on services due to the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Due to measures taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Canadian Firearms Program is currently experiencing significant impacts to our services, like many other service providers in Canada.

Clients may experience longer than normal wait times when calling the contact centre
The processing of applications for a new firearm licence is on hold until further notice
The production of firearms licence cards is on hold until further notice
The delivery of Firearms Safety Course (s) may be postponed due to social distancing protocols
Firearm licence expiry
As per the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, since October 2017, individuals have a six-month extension (grace) period past the expiry date printed on their firearms licence card to submit a renewal application online
Your firearms licence card will remain valid, with limitations, during this extension (grace) period
Individuals can check the status of their firearms licence application via Individual Web Services.
Firearm licence renewal
The processing of firearms licence renewal applications submitted by mail is on hold until further notice
We recommend submitting your application to renew your firearms licence via Individual Web Services.
The production of firearms licence cards is on hold until further notice, however, law enforcement agencies and firearms businesses can validate your licence status online
Individuals can check the status of their firearms licence application via Individual Web Services.
As this is an evolving situation, we will continue to provide updates on our website as required.

If you are looking for statistics on the Canadian Firearms Program, please visit the latest annual report.

Date modified: 2020-03-25"
Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 PM

No transfers are happening. The center is closed because of coved-19. I tried every day this week since I sold one of my hand guns.

We'll just have to wait this out.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
No transfers are happening. The center is closed because of coved-19. I tried every day this week since I sold one of my hand guns.

We'll just have to wait this out.

Well I just picked up my new pistol last week, 3 days for transfer approval. Maybe in the last week they stopped but as of last Friday they were still completing transfers.......

Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Yeah, I finally got through yesterday. Got a reference number. Now, the waiting game starts.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Got mine on monday, took a week.Got the reference number the same day, took a couple calls but got threw within a hour.
Now one thing that might speed it up is you now need to email in your range membership to the alberta cfo, as no one is at the office to receive faxes.
I emailed mine in at 9am and got my transfer approved 2 hours later.
there email is
cfpcfounit@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Hope this helps