Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 06:23 AM

Default Case Lube

So not to derail the Case Dents thread thought I'd start a new one dealing with case lube choices and methods of use...share yours if you like.

I keep my fired cases headstamp up in 50 rnd. MTM ammo boxes. They're clean so I don't see a need to tumble first. When I'm ready to resize, I hold a paper towel over the open box and invert them onto my bench open mouth end up on the paper towel. I then spray Dillon Case lube onto the neck end and into the open mouth. It only takes 7 to 10 pumps to evenly lube 50 cases this way. The paper towel keeps the bench lube free. I find I don't need to lube inside the necks with a brush. Dillon case lube is beeswax diluted with alcohol and costs less than RCBS Caseslick for example.
After resizing (and de-capping) I wipe off excess lube with a dry paper towel, measure and trim if necessary, clean primer pockets, chamfer case mouths, then into corncob media tumbler. Corncob media absorbs any lube and soot inside cases, so no need to wash and dry.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:53 AM

I lay mine on piece of the stronger blue paper towel that I reuse just for lubing.
Give them a shot then give them a roll and another shot.
I spray some on a q-tip to lube inside the necks.
After sizing they go in the tumbler with corn cob to clean the lube off.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:20 AM

For batches of brass I make my own case lube. 1/7 or 1/8 parts lanolin and the rest 99% isopropyl alcohol.

I buy the alcohol at any drug store. Superstore is cheapest. I got the lanolin from Amazon or Canadaammo. It's in solid form. A tub of it lasts forever.

Put the 2 ingredients in a spray bottle and the lanolin liquifies. Shake before spraying.

Put brass in plastic container with lid. Spray just a few times and shake container vigourously.

Bonus is your hands become silky soft since lanolin is byproduct from sheep's wool.

A spray bottle works for thousands of rounds and is so cheap and easy even I can do it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 AM

I only reload for a couple rifles and I have a lot, a huge amount of brass for them. I've taken to neck sizing brass now instead of full length. With the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die, case lube is not required.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
For batches of brass I make my own case lube. 1/7 or 1/8 parts lanolin and the rest 99% isopropyl alcohol.

I buy the alcohol at any drug store. Superstore is cheapest. I got the lanolin from Amazon or Canadaammo. It's in solid form. A tub of it lasts forever.

Put the 2 ingredients in a spray bottle and the lanolin liquifies. Shake before spraying.

Put brass in plastic container with lid. Spray just a few times and shake container vigourously.

Bonus is your hands become silky soft since lanolin is byproduct from sheep's wool.

A spray bottle works for thousands of rounds and is so cheap and easy even I can do it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Awsome, thanks.
Quick, effective and cheap.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:21 PM

I use Imperial sizing wax for the 6 calibers I load for.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I use Imperial sizing wax for the 6 calibers I load for.
x2
Old 03-24-2020, 04:45 PM

X3
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM

X4^^^^

I’m more into quality, as opposed to quantity, btw.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
X4 I’m more into quality, as opposed to quantity
For my 16 year old son's birthday he and 2 of his friends went to the range and fired 2,000 rounds of various calibers. In 1 day.

As the Soviet Union leadership used to say "quantity has a quality all its own"
Old 03-29-2020, 03:32 PM

X5.

I FL size very few cases but for lube inside the neck and the few FL or forming actions, Imperial can't be beat and I have tried all the others.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:44 PM

I have used RCBS lube pads for a long time , and Lee lube when I am doing a few hundred cases at a time . Started using the Lee lube and shaking about 20 in a margarine tub with a smear of Lee case lube in the inside .
Fast and effective .
I also use Imperial.
One bench rest hall of gamer used to use STP oil treatment!
Cat
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM

As some others mentioned, I use Imperial Sizing Wax, "sparingly" like it says right on the can. I wipe off with a rag, no need to tumble. Much easier and much less messy than spray lube or rolling cases on pads etc.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 AM

I have both Imperial and Hornady Unique (neither are petroleum based). Both seem equally effective when finger applied. The Hornady feels more slippery.
For most of the cartridges I reload, I only apply lube to every 3rd/5th case as I have developed “a feel” for the drag that can soon result in a stuck case. This practice seems to reduce any build-up in the die which should be cleaned regularly anyways. The secret to the “feel” is to stop immediately (mid stroke if necessary) when the increase in resistance is noticed.