Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2024, 09:49 AM

Default CCI 22LR Quiet Segmented Ammo and Aquila 60 Grain Subsonic

Curious if any of you have shot the Quiet segmented ammo. I have shot lots of the Quiet, 710 FPS, and it is fairly accurate to about 30 yards, but the solid bullet does not kill all that well. Curious if the segmented version actually opens up at the 710 FPS it is launched at and what kind of accuracy it was producing at 25 yards.

I plan to get some and try it myself but at $16 for 50, versus the Quiet at $8 for 50, it is quite a step up price wise.

Bought some of the subsonic 60 grain Aquila loads when I was at Bashaw sports a few days ago, they didn't have any Quiet Segmented in stock. Be interested to see how the Aquila work, first time I found some to buy. At $14/50 it isn't inexpensive either but I am hoping the 60 grain bullet kills better than the 40 grain RN solids.

First time I have been in Bashaw Sports since the new owners took over, everything prior was online purchases. Store is still very well stocked, and it is a WHOLE LOT better organized and neat than the last few years Pud had it. Was fun to wander around in there.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-11-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:38 PM

Thumbs up My $0.02

I've used the CCI Quiet Segmented ammo in a CZ 455 for a few years. I always have one mag in my pocket for use as needed. Works great on gophers out to 25-30 yards, and it doesn't bother the cattle or the neighbours when you're sitting nearby.
IME only a head shot results in DRT. A fatal chest shot that would plant a gopher with any regular ammo often results in a frantic dash for any nearby hole. Having checked multiple carcasses, the damage indicates there was some level of expansion, and it is obvious they were walking/running dead before they stopped.
I think the slower speed pencils a hole clean through without the impact energy to knock them down. It's likely that you are experiencing the same thing with the solids.

Warning: carry a cleaning rod with you and watch for impacts from every shot. Out of thousands of rounds fired, I've had 2 that failed to exit the barrel; I did not notice any difference in the sound. Since I didn't see any indication of impact, I unloaded and checked the barrel for obstruction. In both cases the bullet was lodged in the barrel and was easily pushed through with the cleaning jag.
In one case, it was early in the day and the rifle had less than 100 rounds through it. In the other, it was late in the day and the barrel was dirty.
I'm still using it.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-11-2024, 03:05 PM

Very good info UR. Thanks for the detailed review. I am going to use some of the segmented along side the regular quiet and the Aguila. Will be interesting to compare results but a little disappointed to hear the segmented doesn't expand that well, though at 710 fps I can't say I am surprised. At twice the price I am hoping for a lot better performance on target than the regular Quiet ammo.

Will post back after the field trails.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:39 PM

Having some ot exit the barrel will keep me from using them, not worth the risk.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:11 PM

I bought a box for fun to try on a friends farm 2 summers ago when he had a crow problem. Had no problem hitting a pop can sized target at 50 yards with my CZ 452. I Shot a large crow from about 30 yards right in the chest and it acted like it was barely hit, not enough of a trial to derive any real conclusions but I shot one minutes after with a 36 grain CCI mini mag and it was bang flop.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:16 PM

From the fairly limited testing I have done with the cci segmented HP's out of a CZ 452 Ltd, they have shot pretty accurate to the 25-30yd range.
I folded up a piece of carpet to make 5-6 layer's and backed it with a piece of 1/2" plywood to retrieve the bullets and see if they actually did segment as advertised. They were expanding and opening up a bit, but that was about the extent of it. Most of the rounds made I through the layer's of carpet and a 1/4" into the plywood.
Like everything else, they have gone up in price.
I believe I paid $11.99 per 50rnds in 2022.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:27 PM

So today I tested Aquila 60 grain subsonic, long rifle, CCI Quiet LR 40 grain hollow point segmented and CCI Quiet Long (not long rifle) 29 grain solid bullets. All testing was at 25 yards.

The Aquila shot great in a 23" 1:16 twist, barelled Anschutz sporter. It grouped consistently under a 1/2 inch, and shot to nearly the same point of impact as subsonic 40 grain ammo. However, out of the 16" 1:16 twist Savage Rascal, the bullet would not stabilzed. It keyholed and hit all over the place.

The Long 29 grain Quiet shot like crap out of both guns. 4 to 5 inch 5 shot groups was very common. Hitting anything with these at 25 yards would be pure accident. I am going to retest them a 10 yards next time out.

The 40 grain, HP Segmented Quiet ammo, on the other hand, shot great in both guns. Well under .5 in the Annie and about .75 in the Rascal. It was not particularly Quiet out of the Rascal, sounded like HV out of a 23" barrel. Out of the longer barrel Anschutz it was REALLY Quiet. You could barely hear it if you were standing 30 feet away. I am going to be very interested to see how it behaves on gophers.

The other thing I found out is 2.5 power scope at 25 yards still works pretty good, even with old eyes. You can see the target and even the bullet holes pretty good, and you have a really large field of view. I used a fix 4 power for years on my grouse gun, it was great for head shooting grouse and in underbrush it was easy to see the birds moving around.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:54 PM

Town shells.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:36 PM

I have done quite extensive "testing" of both these rounds and the segmented HP are some of my favorite 22shells. Pigeons, magpies, crows, and even the odd raven results in a loud KerWHOP and usually result in instant death as long as it's center mass.
Gophers of course are similar results. If using them often it helps to re-sight your gun as they shoot lower than most regular stuff.
The 60gr ones didn't stabilize in the savage either and could be heard wobbling in flight. Great effect on Gophers if you could hit them haha
They worked decent in the cz452 and the few pigeons shot died but you could tell the bullet is passing through without much energy dump. I quit using them when a bullet blew through a pigeon and then the shed wall which I don't want happening for obvious safety reasons at the ranch.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 05-14-2024, 05:57 AM

Are these to fast or heavy for you? They are available at a few places in Canada, 10 bucks a box at Nordic Marksman.

https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-...c-22---2400065

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-14-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I have done quite extensive "testing" of both these rounds and the segmented HP are some of my favorite 22shells. Pigeons, magpies, crows, and even the odd raven results in a loud KerWHOP and usually result in instant death as long as it's center mass.
Gophers of course are similar results. If using them often it helps to re-sight your gun as they shoot lower than most regular stuff.
The 60gr ones didn't stabilize in the savage either and could be heard wobbling in flight. Great effect on Gophers if you could hit them haha
They worked decent in the cz452 and the few pigeons shot died but you could tell the bullet is passing through without much energy dump. I quit using them when a bullet blew through a pigeon and then the shed wall which I don't want happening for obvious safety reasons at the ranch.
Interesting that you found they were going fast enough to open pretty good. I was very impressed with the 25 yard accuracy of the segmented Quiets. I am going to try them at 50 yards as well to see how much more drop I get. At 25, despite being only 710 FPS they hit at almost exactly the same place as subsonic, 1050 fps, target ammo with a solid 40 grain RN. My bet is, elevation will start to diverge pretty rapidly as the range extends and they will be quite a bit lower at 50 yards than the subsonic target ammo.

Pike

For regular gopher shooting the ammo you showed or the Winchester Xpert both work great. I like the Xpert because it is cheap and at 1250 fps the oversized hollow point really smacks a gopher. My interest in getting the Quiet to shoot is for close in around cattle or near outbuildings.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Interesting that you found they were going fast enough to open pretty good. I was very impressed with the 25 yard accuracy of the segmented Quiets. I am going to try them at 50 yards as well to see how much more drop I get. At 25, despite being only 710 FPS they hit at almost exactly the same place as subsonic, 1050 fps, target ammo with a solid 40 grain RN. My bet is, elevation will start to diverge pretty rapidly as the range extends and they will be quite a bit lower at 50 yards than the subsonic target ammo
They will start to drop like a brick after about 25 yards though I haven't had much issue with them opening up. I made an absolute hail Mary on a magpie last year at roughly 75 yards. 2 magpies length higher for elevation and let it rip. There was a loud WHOP! and the little guy toppled over stone dead.
I used to use CCI CB's and regular quiets and these segmented HP make them look like bb guns

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 05-15-2024, 09:55 PM

My quiet seg hp’s do not segment out of my mkII fvsr. 16.5” barrel.
The cb longs are fun but weak at 40yds.
I have started using the quiet semi auto. The extra feet per second seem to matter a bunch. They even work in my 597.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:35 AM

Default cci quiet, rem subsonic, Walz die?

I shot a brick of rem subsonic HP on squirrels at our cabin over several years. Wish I could say that I killed 500 squirrels with it.....
Great killing ammo and not much noise.
Last year I switched to the cci quiet regular lead round point. Not good unless you hit brain. Even a chest shot was very slow killing.
I plan to try running that ammo through my Neal Walz die, which creates a wide, deep HP cavity to see if it will make the bullet expand at those low velocities.
Has anyone else tried this?
HV 22 ammo takes a big step up in performance on gophers. There is an audible "whop" when the bullet hits, and wounds look similar to 17HM2 impacts out to 100 yds.
The die can be used on RN ammo, or HP.

Vance
Old 05-16-2024, 11:25 AM

Give the CCI 22 short hollow points a try, they work great and are quiet, 27 gr hollow point @ 1100 FPS, shot a 100 pack on gophers, really whacks'em

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:58 AM

So here is a test target shot at 25 yards using Aguila 60 grain subsonic, CCI quiet 22 segmented hollow point and my regular gopher load Winchester Xpert 1250 FPS, 36 grain hollow points. All 22RF are affected by wind but the Quiet ammo at 710 FPS with the HP 40 grain bullet even more so, due to its slow speed. All in all however, it shoots reasonable well and hits 1" lower than HV or the Sub sonic ammo. The 60 grain ammo will not stabilize out of a 16" barrel but shoots fairly accurately out of the 23" barrel on the Anschutz.

Now that I have the new scope sighted in on this gun, hopefully we get some sun so I can try these out on Gophers.

Point of aim was the same in all cases and no scope adjustments were made between groups. It was less windy, earlier in the day, when I shot the bottom target, wind had picked up and was more gusty for the top target. The 60 grain bullets buck wind better than the 40 grain ones. The gun is an Anschutz 1416 left hand sporter with a Burris 4.5x14x42 scope. Target circles are 1" to the outer black ring, the centre dot is 3/16"