Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Default mudflaps...who's got em

I'm noticing a lot more pickups driving the roads that don't have mud flaps. I've got them on my truck and always have, not because it's law here but because I hated how much stuff gets thrown up by the tires.
A co worker from down east bought a new truck and when I saw it without mud flaps I told him aside from the law he might want to put some on to limit some of the paint damage from stones he was going to experience. This seemed like a foreign concept to him and he said he wouldn't put any on because they look cheesy but he realized real soon what I was talking about and put them on a month later.
Anyone else not running them for any particular reason? Just curious if its a local thing being from the prairies.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM

My Titan has them. To the best of my knowledge all Nissan trucks come with them from the factory. Wouldn't be without 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
My Titan has them. To the best of my knowledge all Nissan trucks come with them from the factory. Wouldn't be without 'em.

Yeah. I broke one of those 2 years ago. They don't hold up to boulders apparently.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 PM

Guys who off road a lot don't usually like em, if you get stuck they tend to get ripped off if you need to back up. Not as big a problem if they are really short but defeats the purpose of having them.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 PM

True but a lot of the trucks I've seen without them aren't lifted or anything. They don't likely do heavy off roading with stock tires.
I've seen some with chains on them that prevent them from being sucked into the tire when reversing though.
That's why I like the fiber reinforced rubber flaps. Flexible in may situations.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 PM

yes

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 PM

That's the thing though, even less clearance on a stock truck if you happen to get into that situation. I would never be without them though, work it into the sale, why buy a new truck and not try to at least protect the paint (and maybe somebody else's windshield). Yes, you need something that will stay vertical and work at highway speeds too. Not sure about Nissan but I think flaps are std on Toyotas, and seem to have pretty good coverage too but they are quite rigid.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Had em ripped off in the mud. Put them back on, ripped off again.

On my 2011 dodge, when you back up and the front ones hook or get under the tire they will pull your fender down and mess it up, have to crawl out the passenger side. 3 guys I work with have had the same issue. Just the way the front fenders are designed they will pull down with the mud flap
Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 PM

I have them and they've never ripped off. I have a little button I press that makes my truck raise 3" in case I see a water puddle or a snow flake.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:58 PM

Here's the flaps on my big chevy! Got tired of being pulled over...
image.jpg
Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Look cheesy?

The opposite (?). I don't think a real truck looks right without them. I even have very deliberately put them on the SUV's I have owned, because I did occasionally actually go "4x4'ing" in same ( and just "shedding" salt and slush?). I deliberately put very large and primo ones on my newest truck. I had them on my one real (in terms of actual use for such) 4x4, and they saved a lot of trouble in terms of the gunk deflected when I was "seeing where I can go", down the seismic lines and winching through the impassable mudholes - never had any issues with them impeding anything. Just had to replace them once due to "wear and tear" - they had taken the hits which otherwise would have gone to the rear fenders. How can they not, at the price, save one from a lot of body damage due to gravel and mud deflection? Seems like common sense to me, if you are ever "off road" (lets face it, honestly, most yuppie trucks and SUV's never leave the pavement), but I stand to be corrected.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Yup, got 'em - functional ones!
Cat
Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 PM

One set behind rear wheels, another full across below the bumper. Dually throws lots of rocks and beats the heck out of anything I tow.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Wouldn't dream of having a vehicle without one. I spring for the ones with the lifetime warranty, even if I tear one off, as long as I find it, they will exchange it for a brand new one.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM

Same as above. Even if I had to spring for them, and I did, I would not leave the dealership without them.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Wouldn't dream of having a vehicle without one. I spring for the ones with the lifetime warranty, even if I tear one off, as long as I find it, they will exchange it for a brand new one.
Which ones are those? I usually find mine but you can only remount them so many times untill there's nothing left to put a bolt in
Old 09-12-2014, 10:00 PM

I made mine out of 3/8 inch industrial belting. Tough as nails & I think it would rip the truck apart before they came off.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Banned

Cool

Yep they come standard on datsun's
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Have a set on my dually, been there since new.

Don't have them on my Landcruiser. Gave up after ripping them off continually in the bush.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Which ones are those? I usually find mine but you can only remount them so many times untill there's nothing left to put a bolt in
Not sure of the brand, but I think most Dodge dealers carry them. They are the heavy rubber ones with the stainless steel piece on them.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Not sure of the brand, but I think most Dodge dealers carry them. They are the heavy rubber ones with the stainless steel piece on them.
The stainless piece on the bottom or the stainless piece that bolts to the fender? If the latter it's the one that cost me a new fender
Old 09-13-2014, 12:08 AM

The stainless piece is on the bottom.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:34 AM

Default Removable flaps

I use a removable flap with a quick release on my lifted a jeep. Keeps the sherrifs happy, and an come off as soon as I hit the back country.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:42 AM

I added rock-tamers to truck to help
I also weld brackets to the front of my skidsteer flatdeck trailer and hung full length big rig flaps to work like a salt sheild.
I dont like seeing trailers get beatup when there is something that can be done.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
I use a removable flap with a quick release on my lifted a jeep. Keeps the sherrifs happy, and an come off as soon as I hit the back country.
I'll have to look into this idea.

One thing they need to look at is making tarps mandatory on gravel trucks. More sand, gravel and dust flying out of them on the highway than our truck tires toss.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM

It is mandatory for a gravel truck to control his load. Fines for unsecured loads are not given as often as they should be. It's probably tough to prove but I think enforcement is the problem.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
It is mandatory for a gravel truck to control his load. Fines for unsecured loads are not given as often as they should be. It's probably tough to prove but I think enforcement is the problem.
Yeah, likely an enforcement issue then. Was behind one yesterday on Hwy 2 and had to stay back 1km he had so much sand and dust flying off the load.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
Any pictures of your quick release mud flaps?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:31 PM

I think most new trucks come with flaps? Can't comment on the quality? I think ford makes you buy them.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Put them on but my Toyo's are rock chucker's, beat the front of my quad trailer after one trip. Looked the hitch over and realised the outside ends were the same size as the receptacle. Bought some square tubing and notched out a 5 degree slot out of the tube and bent it together and hit it with the welder.
Now I can slip them in and out whenever I need them.