Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you a Union member
Yes 140 37.33%
No 235 62.67%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Are you a Union member?

For my own curiosity, are you a union member? please poll yes or no in.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Private sector union I am.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM

Yes I am. And glad to be working 50-60 hours each week.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Used to be years ago. Haven't missed it.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 AM

Aren't most major companies unionized? They seem to be in most of the world, I would think its the same in Alberta?
Old 11-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Aren't most major companies unionized? They seem to be in most of the world, I would think its the same in Alberta?
Nope. Levels of unionization have been dropping for years in Canada/US. Alberta is probably the least unionized jurisdiction in Canada. Most major Oil and gas companies have relatively low levels of unionization. NO judgments on my part. Just describing the situation.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Just a question for union members. Typically how much do you pay for dues per month and do you still have to pay them if you are unemployed?
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Any Union job I've ever had the union has done nothing good for me. In fact with stupid strikes that I didn't agree with I've lost a few solid weeks of work.
I would of gladly broke the picket line, but the place just closed down so even those of us who wanted to work couldn't.

Being forced to be in a union would be sufficient reason for me to consider not taking a job.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 AM

I am confident that the wages all of us enjoy are a result of Unions pushing management. Without Unions all of our wages would be noticeably less. Of that I am sure.

Having said that, I work for a non-union company. And love the environment. I spent most of my work life in BC and worked for a few non union companies and lots of Union ones. In every case but one I enjoyed working in a non union environment more than Union. There was one place I worked that was non union, and really needed a union.

I find it a Catch-22 situation. Basically I hate the union environment, but without them I know I would be making less and the company making more.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
I am confident that the wages all of us enjoy are a result of Unions pushing management. Without Unions all of our wages would be noticeably less. Of that I am sure.

Having said that, I work for a non-union company. And love the environment. I spent most of my work life in BC and worked for a few non union companies and lots of Union ones. In every case but one I enjoyed working in a non union environment more than Union. There was one place I worked that was non union, and really needed a union.

I find it a Catch-22 situation. Basically I hate the union environment, but without them I know I would be making less and the company making more.
Why would you a prefer a non union environment if you don't mind me asking? I personally would prefer a union environment much more.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 AM

Never been in one, but have to admit it sounds nice to have someone fighting for me. Always hear about how good the nursing unions and teaching unions do, but who knows how much the dues are, and if it requires giving up your first born or not.

I do like nonunion work environments tho, as needing to hold your own keeps people from getting complacent.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM

Carpenters union.
Cat
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Banned

Advantages of working Union over non Union

1. Union double time every day after 10 hours and double time all day on weekends and stats
2. Employer pays between 5$-9$ an hour on top of your wages towards your pension
3. Top benefits ( prescription drugs paid , dental , eyes , massages , chiropractor , shrinks I need one lol
4. Safe work inviroment
5. Trained to do the work the right way , no short cuts .
6 travel to work payed for when working out of town even when they provide bussing they pay to ride the bus .
7. Higher wages covers union dues

Non Union

1. Time and a half after 44hours worked
2.RRSP, no pension usually
3.sometimes some employee will try and get you to do unsafe work, even try and get you to do another trades work that your not properly trained to do .
4.acceptable to take short cuts ( some compagnys )
5.lower end benefits package
Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Carpenters union.
Cat
Oh so your a scaffolder
Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Just a question for union members. Typically how much do you pay for dues per month and do you still have to pay them if you are unemployed?
Yes you do , you pay monthly dues always and working dues when you work when not working just pay monthly dues
Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM

I am not currently in a union however I was for over 30 years, I have seen both sides of the fence and there are some good and bad. I liked having someone to fight for my rights and knowing if I had a problem I could have some backing. In the non union side I find the employers are always trying to get me to work for nothing such as on weekends or extra hours. The labor board is a complete joke, they only act after you work extra hours then put in a complaint. There is no way of preventing abuse, most workers are too afraid of losing their jobs to speak up.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levigne25 View Post
Oh so your a scaffolder
carpenter/scaffolder, among other tickets
Cat
Old 11-25-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Yes you do , you pay monthly dues always and working dues when you work when not working just pay monthly dues
Ok thanks.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM

I've been a union member for over 38 years, did lots of picketing in the early years and while I wasn't happy about the strikes at the time it really was worth it long term. I had non union jobs prior to my long term one and it was because of those experiences I sought out a unonized job and have never regretted it.

Sure there are some bad aspects in unions, but the good far outweighs the bad.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 AM

20 yrs non union and last 6 with a union.

Unions have gone through growing pains, from fighting for wages, to benefits, to fairness at the workplace, to idiocy and greed. And finally to an understandi g that its a mutual benefit relationship, the better the company does the more the workers get.

Company i work for brought mgtmt and union to a training course on negotiations, working together, etc. One of the trainers is a long time CAW president, and he mentioned how CAW has changed dramatically. If there is a bad apple, the union tries to correct the situation before it goes to mgtmt, if they cannot, then they work together on positive performance.

A university in Ontario did a study and there is a strong correlation between the middle class and unions. Growth and decline.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Why would you a prefer a non union environment if you don't mind me asking? I personally would prefer a union environment much more.
I have found the atmosphere in a non union environment to be much more congenial. Even between workers. I have been on both sides in both union and non-union. The Union shop forces divisiveness between workers and management. In the union shop even between workers I have seen conflict erupt because one perceived another stepping out of the rules. I remember working in a Union shop and I was finishing a task, but quitting time was five minutes past. Another employee, whom I did not know, glared at me and asked if I was on overtime. I said of course, though I wasn't. I don't believe in minute to minute tracking. If I want to unplug something, I don't want to be forced to call an electrician. I could go on at length, but in general from what I have seen Unions force a mentality on the workplace that is very inefficient and one-directional. I am too much of a free thinker and a get the job done kind of guy.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:

1. Union double time every day after 10 hours and double time all day on weekends and stats
2. Employer pays between 5$-9$ an hour on top of your wages towards your pension
3. Top benefits ( prescription drugs paid , dental , eyes , massages , chiropractor , shrinks I need one lol
4. Safe work inviroment
6 travel to work payed for when working out of town even when they provide bussing they pay to ride the bus .
8. Can sit on arse and not get fired

Non Union

3.sometimes some employee will try and get you to do unsafe work, even try and get you to do another trades work that your not properly trained to do .

Fixed it for you
Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Am not, will not and loved it all. When I argue with the boss, people think I'm talking to myself.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Having a union has some pros and cons, i think it is good for shift workers since it makes it tougher for the employer to bounce people around. Ive worked both and the non union was bad in that sense, instead of calling for an extra guy because nights was short they would send a dayshift guy home to come in then take some one who maybe didnt have a full workload to cover his work too.

Union is a bit annoying too, transferring departments, doing stuff that needs to be done but you arent really supposed to do it because thats some one elses work.

Most employers that are unionized were really bad employers at one point in order to drive the workforce into unionizing.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Fixed it for you
Did you fix it ? There's nothing wrong with sitting on your arse for 5 minutes to take a micro break after you've worked hard . You like being a slave ? Your to afraid of your boss to take a 5 minute micro break to reset ? Keep slaving away and being afraid of your boss

Last edited by levigne25; 11-25-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM

A recording of the link below was used to begin negotiations at one shop I worked at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2KLyBapfTc
Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 AM

Ok here is what I have experienced as a young inion worker....

Working on Cut-off saw decks feeding a sawmill, clearing log jams.... Cut-off saw operator was a complete and total jerk and a drunk to boot....

I was clearing a jam and a pneumatically operated kicker and catcher was activated by operator.... (conveyer's locked out) operator was supposed to be out of shack while log deck was being cleared but instead he was in their with a 40.... he activated it and I had to duck, and raise my feet at same time to avoid being crushed to death.... afterwards I lost it and ripped him out fo the shack and beat the living tar out of him.... (I was 18) and I got suspended for a week and he got nothing!.... Going back earlier he was known to have a drinking problem and had many screw ups and should have been fired and union stuck up for him and even further because he was too drunk to clear his own jams, the union lobbied to get a unjammer job created which they called utility man just for this reason. I was the guinea pig for the job....

Prior to this at the same mill a friend was killed and I won't go into details other than to mention I was first aider and afterwards we were all in lunchroom the union steward piped up and said " Well boys the good news is.... that there is a job opening now!"..... I completely lost it (I was 17 then) and put him into the hospital, he drank through a straw for 6 weeks.... and I was suspended righteously but he got nothing....

The other thing was the annual union meeting they went to where they wasted tons of money and was nothing more than a drunken party on a golf course and every year they had to find a new golf course as the previous one would not have them back.

Unions in their day did some good stuff and not saying all unions are the same but that one was very defunct and they had a 8 month strike and lost more than they gained...

Another guy used to unload 3 trucks a shift with the buttontop and any other operator could do far more.... guess which one had more union seniority and was the shop steward....

There also was union pension mismanagement/fraud.... quite a few guys retired thinking they would have a good pension and got very little....
Old 11-25-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:

4. Safe work inviroment

Non Union

This may be the standard, but this is definately not the case where I work. We have union and Out of Scope (non union).

so to quickly dispell, as a non union member:
1. i'm salary so nothing here
2. i get a pension
3. no one does that here
4. again, nope
5. completely false - i have FAR better benefits than union members.

6. everyone is trained the same, union or otherwise
7. i'm paid very well for business travel

While i agree unions have their place, and do sometimes protect employees, my biggest issue with unions is that it also protects the incompetant. it is very difficult to get someone fired, even with the understanding that they were hired to perform certain duties for a certain wage, but i can't cut that wage when they don't perform their duties.

It also rewards people solely on time spent in the organization. You could have two lined up for a position, and the one with seniority gets it, regardless if they're the best applicant for the position.

Finally, i'm sure not with all unions, but the one in my organization - you can bump. This has got to be the dumbest thing anyone has ever thought up. If your position is terminated (an example being a facility shutting down and the organization has to redistribute those staff), you can walk into an area and take a position belonging to someone else, because you have been here longer.

My grandfather was a union boss and is likely rolling over in his grave right now, however, i personally am not a fan of unions.

Cheers
Old 11-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
This may be the standard, but this is definately not the case where I work. We have union and Out of Scope (non union).

so to quickly dispell, as a non union member:
1. i'm salary so nothing here
2. i get a pension
3. no one does that here
4. again, nope
5. completely false - i have FAR better benefits than union members.

6. everyone is trained the same, union or otherwise
7. i'm paid very well for business travel

While i agree unions have their place, and do sometimes protect employees, my biggest issue with unions is that it also protects the incompetant. it is very difficult to get someone fired, even with the understanding that they were hired to perform certain duties for a certain wage, but i can't cut that wage when they don't perform their duties.

It also rewards people solely on time spent in the organization. You could have two lined up for a position, and the one with seniority gets it, regardless if they're the best applicant for the position.

Finally, i'm sure not with all unions, but the one in my organization - you can bump. This has got to be the dumbest thing anyone has ever thought up. If your position is terminated (an example being a facility shutting down and the organization has to redistribute those staff), you can walk into an area and take a position belonging to someone else, because you have been here longer.

My grandfather was a union boss and is likely rolling over in his grave right now, however, i personally am not a fan of unions.

Cheers
Im talking trades
Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Ok here is what I have experienced as a young inion worker....

Working on Cut-off saw decks feeding a sawmill, clearing log jams.... Cut-off saw operator was a complete and total jerk and a drunk to boot....

I was clearing a jam and a pneumatically operated kicker and catcher was activated by operator.... (conveyer's locked out) operator was supposed to be out of shack while log deck was being cleared but instead he was in their with a 40.... he activated it and I had to duck, and raise my feet at same time to avoid being crushed to death.... afterwards I lost it and ripped him out fo the shack and beat the living tar out of him.... (I was 18) and I got suspended for a week and he got nothing!.... Going back earlier he was known to have a drinking problem and had many screw ups and should have been fired and union stuck up for him and even further because he was too drunk to clear his own jams, the union lobbied to get a unjammer job created which they called utility man just for this reason. I was the guinea pig for the job....

Prior to this at the same mill a friend was killed and I won't go into details other than to mention I was first aider and afterwards we were all in lunchroom the union steward piped up and said " Well boys the good news is.... that there is a job opening now!"..... I completely lost it (I was 17 then) and put him into the hospital, he drank through a straw for 6 weeks.... and I was suspended righteously but he got nothing....

The other thing was the annual union meeting they went to where they wasted tons of money and was nothing more than a drunken party on a golf course and every year they had to find a new golf course as the previous one would not have them back.

Unions in their day did some good stuff and not saying all unions are the same but that one was very defunct and they had a 8 month strike and lost more than they gained...

Another guy used to unload 3 trucks a shift with the buttontop and any other operator could do far more.... guess which one had more union seniority and was the shop steward....

There also was union pension mismanagement/fraud.... quite a few guys retired thinking they would have a good pension and got very little....
We're not all like your cut off saw operator lol