Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 07:05 AM

Default Mentally Challenged Robin?

So about a week ago, the wife comes to me to advise a robin has been pecking on a basement window at the house. I say to myself...."Sure". When scared away, it would come back and do the same thing.

So I check the window in question. On the right glass pane, one could see several marks, kinda like round white spots. On a rock in front of the window... covered in bird schitt. Hmmmmm....maybe she hasn't gone bizarro...

So around supper time, we are in the kitchen and I hear this banging noise from the window, which is located under the kitchen window. I open the door and see this robin give me a "F You" look, and flew away.

So the wife has an idea. She has a fake owl in the backyard. She figured by placing it in front of the window, same would keep idiot stick away. So she does. About an hour later, bing bing bing bing....I check it out and idiot stick is standing on the owl's head doing his thing. She now has to clean her owl as it has schitt on top of its head. It is driving her nuts....I personally am really enjoying all of this.

On a bit of a serious note, I must say, I have never seen a robin behave this away. I'm sure he'll eventually move on. Sure his pecker cannot handle all this banging. It has been around a week now.

Had a pile of rain here yesterday, and still raining this morning. That little bastard presently sitting on top of a spruce tree nearby, soaking wet. I'm sure he will perform again soon...

True story and thought I'd share while most are enjoying their morning coffee...
Old 05-22-2020, 07:30 AM

Give the little guy a break. He is just seeing his own reflection in the window and thinks it is another male robin intruding on his territory. Cover up the window for a couple of days with a piece of plywood or something so he can't see his reflection and everything will be fine.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 AM

I had one doing that on our bedroom window for a few days this week too. There’s a female nesting under our deck. I think he was looking for love and thought his reflection was his competition. He burst into feathers on Thursday morning at about 5.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
So about a week ago, the wife comes to me to advise a robin has been pecking on a basement window at the house. I say to myself...."Sure". When scared away, it would come back and do the same thing.

So I check the window in question. On the right glass pane, one could see several marks, kinda like round white spots. On a rock in front of the window... covered in bird schitt. Hmmmmm....maybe she hasn't gone bizarro...

So around supper time, we are in the kitchen and I hear this banging noise from the window, which is located under the kitchen window. I open the door and see this robin give me a "F You" look, and flew away.

So the wife has an idea. She has a fake owl in the backyard. She figured by placing it in front of the window, same would keep idiot stick away. So she does. About an hour later, bing bing bing bing....I check it out and idiot stick is standing on the owl's head doing his thing. She now has to clean her owl as it has schitt on top of its head. It is driving her nuts....I personally am really enjoying all of this.

On a bit of a serious note, I must say, I have never seen a robin behave this away. I'm sure he'll eventually move on. Sure his pecker cannot handle all this banging. It has been around a week now.

Had a pile of rain here yesterday, and still raining this morning. That little bastard presently sitting on top of a spruce tree nearby, soaking wet. I'm sure he will perform again soon...

True story and thought I'd share while most are enjoying their morning coffee...

Neighbour across from us was away & had the same thing happen 2 yrs ago, little guy sure made a mess all over the lower porch. Must have had one heck of a headache!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That sucker has the virus...affects birds differently.?

But then again just look at us....one out of a thousand or so is odd....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Give the little guy a break. He is just seeing his own reflection in the window and thinks it is another male robin intruding on his territory. Cover up the window for a couple of days with a piece of plywood or something so he can't see his reflection and everything will be fine.
True but it can get old fast. We had one that was going after a bunch of the windows on the house and he kept it up for well over a month. Persistent little SOB. I am not covering up all my windows just to make a Robin happy. If my wife wasn't so fond of Robins I would have dealt with it continually attacking the windows by flying into them feet first. Makes a hell of a racket and it started just after sunup and would go on intermittently till about noon when the sun got to the other side of the house. Luckily the little Twerp hasn't shown up yet this year.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 AM

When I lived in southern ON a lifetime ago we had a beautiful orange cardinal do the same thing.........but it went on for years.

Every morn at 0500, on our bedroom window, it would tap the glass with it's beak. Got quite irritating lol. I'm certain it was the same cardinal year after year. Didn't shed a tear when it didn't come back one spring.

I also believe it's a reaction to seeing themselves in the glass?
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM

Two words...

Pellet gun
Old 05-22-2020, 02:57 PM

No one shoots a Robin, bad carma for your entire life & everyone in your gene pool.

Two years ago we had a young Robin that kept flying into our back entrance Garden Door the one's with the squares, it thought it could make it through & into the house, nothing but Robin beak marks, beak slime & feathers stuck to the glass, it figured it out after 2-3 days.

Not my pic's but we have a Pinto Robin hanging around Sylvan this spring, never seen anything like it before ... thought it would be worth sharing.

With 50-60 mm rain, the Robins are having a worm feast today.

Cheers

D.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:32 PM

Had the same issue and we bought stick on birds for the window. They worked ok.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
No one shoots a Robin, bad carma for your entire life & everyone in your gene pool.

Two years ago we had a young Robin that kept flying into our back entrance Garden Door the one's with the squares, it thought it could make it through & into the house, nothing but Robin beak marks, beak slime & feathers stuck to the glass, it figured it out after 2-3 days.

Not my pic's but we have a Pinto Robin hanging around Sylvan this spring, never seen anything like it before ... thought it would be worth sharing.

With 50-60 mm rain, the Robins are having a worm feast today.

Cheers

D.

>>
Crazy looking Robin there?? Awesome little fella!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
Crazy looking Robin there?? Awesome little fella!

Agreed ... it's a Pinto or Albino ... if there is such a thing.

D.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Two words...

Pellet gun
That would be a Federal Offense.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
So true...what was I ever thinking...?🙈🙉🙊
Old 05-22-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Well, since Federal is already so offensive, not sure I would be too worried about offending Federal.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:59 PM

Bird brains.
I was out for a walk last week and had a group of geese flying toward me. One came in so close, I had to get in a defensive stance. It swerved at last minute when it knew I wasn’t goin to. Then it landed right in front of me and it’s eyes were all googly looking. No fear right now in a birds brain.
Thanks for the pic of the half albino robin. That is neat.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
[SIZE="3"] Not my pic's but we have a Pinto Robin hanging around Sylvan this spring, never seen anything like it before ... thought it would be worth sharing.
We have a ghost magpie living on our block. Apparently Edmonton has the largest number of them. He has a partner every year but never has any ghost magpie children. As interesting as he is man I hate those things.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:14 PM

Chris O'Donnell? Or Burt Ward?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Grizz

As in requires one Federal 17gr traveling 2550fps.

Peck that jackarse.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:27 PM

Default Variety is the spice of life

I thought I'd seen a variety of opinions on the Covid-19 threads. Now there's a thread on killing crows to protect songbirds and some guys here who want to shoot songbirds. Like they say, there's nowt so ***** as folk. 😂

Apparently this website will not allow an old Yorkshire saying. Substitute "odd" for the q word that was bleeped out. I must say that I object to this perversion of the English language. Second edit: or insert "reeuq" backwards.

Last edited by sk270; 05-22-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:17 PM

I hear Robins taste like really really little Cornish game hens. The only downside is it takes a few dozen to make a meal...
Old 05-22-2020, 07:30 PM

Good gawd. Now we're shooting Robins? You rot in hell for that. That's what my mom told me anyways, so I never shot one. She told me that because it's been illegal for a hundred years.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Zip-in-Z;4174291]Agreed ... it's a Pinto or Albino ... if there is such a thing.

D.
[/QUOTE

I believe that is a condition called "leucism". The bird is "leucistic".
See: https://www.audubon.org/news/why-bird-half-white
Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM

Not a Robin story but I think there are other bird brains out there. Got woken up camping in a tent many years ago by a ting ting ting ting ting ting noise. Looked out the door of the tent and there was a woody wood pecker on the hood of my car doing the peck peck peck thing for about 10 min. I laughed and rolled over.
Cool pic of the pinto bird
Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 PM

Put the choke in your 12 and take care of business
Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM

Would rather just hand choke the little ducker sucker pucker