Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 PM

Default I sure hope this drywall gets to site on time!

I saw this on Glenmore Trail about an hour ago:

Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 PM

Can't say I'd want that showing up for my new house build....
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 PM

It will be more like drywall mud.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Maybe they shoulda put a tarp on that.

It's gonna end up in a warehouse, and then get sent to a jobsite still wet more likely than not. And then when all the bevels are crumbled and broken from handling with forklift, and installed by guys getting paid by the board foot....some poor chump like me is going to curse and spend hours and bags of concrete fill to make it look pretty.

That's purely speculation though.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2020, 10:08 PM

on close look the peel strips are coming off, plus that truck has BC plates.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM

That is a load to be refused right there!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

It's gonna end up in a warehouse, and then get sent to a jobsite still wet more likely than not. And then when all the bevels are crumbled and broken from handling with forklift, and installed by guys getting paid by the board foot....some poor chump like me is going to curse and spend hours and bags of concrete fill to make it look pretty.

We have a winner. They wounder why we are cranky.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:26 AM

Here's Cuban drywall delivery, just for comparison. Bigger question being, just where the Hell do you find drywall in Cuba ?

Grizz
Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:

It's Ok, it's water resistant board. Shouldn't be a problem.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Default Drywall

Remember building my second home on bank of North Sask river few years back during very rainy summer. The Beaver lumber truck delivering drywall could not make hill in mud and slid off road. We had to carry each single 12 ft sheet split apart up steep hill by hand in mud, even white side had mud on it.
Smart ass buddy at Sherritt when I was complaining said "Ed you are paying for your nice view of the river"
Old 05-22-2020, 10:23 AM

Hard to tell what is worse, someone who wouldn't tarp that load or the guy taking a picture while driving to share on the internet.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Edited for fib, even though I do have a dash cam.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-22-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Hard to tell what is worse, someone who wouldn't tarp that load or the guy taking a picture while driving to share on the internet.
I've been able to walk and chew gum simultaneously for quite a few decades, despite the gov't insisting otherwise when they make continue to pass laws based on what the incompetent & stupid do. For instance I could lawfully make cell phone calls while driving for around 20 years before they said that was verboten. It's kind of like the Liberals approach to gun control, no?

Hell, I was even able to time the shot to coincide with a fresh wiper blade sweep for visual clarity!

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-22-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM

I'v hauled a load or two of drywall out of a plant near Seattle WA. They'd have us lineup and drive into a building to load, then kick us out in the pouring rain to try and tarp. The top several layers would be pretty much ruined before we had the loads bundled up for transport. Always marked the bol before leaving, and the receivers always received without noting an exception.

BW
Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 AM

I have a feeling that picture will make it around, and eventually someone will send it to you.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:

We would always joke at work about mudders being crazy. I am changing an old ensuite that was partially gutted into a nursery for now. So I did the drywall and framing and electrical etc... Then came the mudding and taping... while I enjoy doing it, man it takes forever when you haven't done it much. Mud,sand and repeat. I have a whole new appreciation for folks like you TC. This baby better appreciate all the time and effort.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
We would always joke at work about mudders being crazy. I am changing an old ensuite that was partially gutted into a nursery for now. So I did the drywall and framing and electrical etc... Then came the mudding and taping... while I enjoy doing it, man it takes forever when you haven't done it much. Mud,sand and repeat. I have a whole new appreciation for folks like you TC. This baby better appreciate all the time and effort.
Taping takes a special kind of mental discipline. Or crazy, as you say. You just can't think about all the millions of board feet of dry wall, and the hundreds of thousands of feet of tape and corner bead, and the thousands of tons of mud and texture you put on....you just look at the check at the end of the day, that pays for the kid's hockey and schooling, the fishing and hunting trips and all the guns in the safe, vacations and a house you call home (which I also built from the footings to the shingles).

You learn to do it fast and good, and then you can make a damn good living. But you sure don't do it because it's flat out fun. My shoulders are finished, as well as ankles from being on stilts.

It makes me enjoy all the fine things in life I have been able to afford though. And the idea of retirement is looking very good now. It's an honest living, and having worked in multiple different trades from welding and electrical, painting and framing....it's all just work, of one sort or another.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone