Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 06:54 PM

Default Cost of rust treatment on new truck

Just wondering what a good price is to get the dealer to rust proof a new truck
Thanks
Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 PM

There is no such thing as a "rust proof" treatment from the dealer... Perhaps rust delay, by a couple of years, at best.

But, if you're buying new and they won't throw it in - $250.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:04 PM

Save your money. I would not get a dealer to do anything.
If you really want to bother just buy a gallon of Fluid Film (about $50) and a sprayer and got to town.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
There is no such thing as a "rust proof" treatment from the dealer... Perhaps rust delay, by a couple of years, at best.

But, if you're buying new and they won't throw it in - $250.
No such thing as getting it thrown in free.

You paid for it.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-21-2020, 08:21 PM

Not sure if Fluid Film is the best product to use, however i do agree with the premise of using an oil based treatment. It is the only method that seems to actually have a good long term effect for rust proofing.
Dealers usually promote heavy undercoating treatments that often are expensive and if not applied appropriately plug drain holes and aid in the development of rust.
Krown Rust control or Corrosion Free are a couple products that seem to be the favorites for oil-based products.
The last truck I bought new off the lot was in 2015, and I believe they wanted $1000 or so for a rubberized undercoating. I took it to a local shop and had a Krown treatment done for around $200.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM

Been in Alberta more than half my life, but originally from Nova Scotia. In NS I would consider it, but currently in Alberta I drive a 10 year old pickup. I declined the rust protection when buying new and have had have zero rust issues. Expect that their package does not have a 10 year warranty. Rust is not an not an issues in Alberta in my opinion that an initial "treatment" will reduce.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 PM

I used fluid film on my jeep and it worked great! Would use it again for rust prevention but that smell... not pleasant for the first few months driving with the top and doors off
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 PM

Google those rubberized rust proofing systems to see about issues with frames and undersides of trucks having rotted away before going that route. I’ve used fluid film in a spray can to keep rust out of door panels and other areas where water can be trapped and promote rust.
Not sure where guys are buying a gallon pail for 50 bucks though. I’ve looked many times for pails and have never been able to find it locally.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:38 PM

Default Fluid film

CT sells it for $99 for 4 liters
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 PM

.......... and here's the thing that ticks me off ........... we buy a $60,000-$80,000 truck that we need to rust proof ?!?!?!

Why in the heck don't they use galvanized or stainless components and/or other materials so we dummies don't have to do this on a new truck !!!!!!! or apply something properly at the factory????

My pet peeve on new vehicles - they are meant to rust after 8-10 years so you buy another new one.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
.......... and here's the thing that ticks me off ........... we buy a $60,000-$80,000 truck that we need to rust proof ?!?!?!

Why in the heck don't they use galvanized or stainless components and/or other materials so we dummies don't have to do this on a new truck !!!!!!! or apply something properly at the factory????

My pet peeve on new vehicles - they are meant to rust after 8-10 years so you buy another new one.
Yes, also all the cheap mechanical parts that are used and highly likely to fail just after warranty ends.....
Old 05-22-2020, 02:09 AM

Don't pay the dealer for any extras. It's always cheaper to get it done from the source. Ziebart has been doing this for years and they have their own shops.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Whether it is 3M, rust proofing, paint protection or whatever, way cheaper to go direct to the company that does it. T&T Automotive in Edmonton. 118 Ave 150 St, applies Rust Check, Oil Type rust treatment, and does a very good job. It is about $150 per vehicle. If you have it applied when new and resprayed every year, they will guarantee the vehicle to be rust free for ever. They do drill holes in some of the door sills etc to get the treatment on the inside panels. If you don't want any holes drilled they will do a surface application but the rust guarantee doesn't apply.

I had my vehicles done after they were more than 16 years old and have them redone every couple of years. My Dodge is a 96 and still shows no rust anywhere. The 1992 4Runner, which are notorious for rusting even if meticulously cared for, the Rust check kept it in really good shape. First application was in 2012 so I did still need to replace one front Quarter panel, but it was an autobody replaced item from about 1998 and it was not near as well built as OEM so rusted out when the other side was still just fine.

If I kept my vehicles 15 years or less I would not worry about rust proofing them at all. Just keep them well washed and get the salt off as soon as possible.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM

Fact is many dont own vehicles long enough to even experience the rust.
The people that do baby and rustprotect a vehicle is actually doing it for the next owner to enjoy.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-22-2020, 11:04 AM

I bought a new Silverado in 2018 . Seeing previous gen 07-13 rust problems . I had a rust proofing done at Krown rust control. I think it was $159 . They drill small holes in doors, rocker, rear wheel well. Kinda smells like strawberries for a couple weeks and there was a rectangle outline in the driveway from some of the spray dripping on the ground for about a week. I looked underneath recently and frame rails are still oily.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:17 AM

I'm a true believer in the Krown system and get my 06 Ram done every two years. My mistake was not doing it until I had the typical Dodge rear fender well rot fixed 4 years ago. I think I pay around $160 per application. My 79 Blazer square body was done religiously with Krown and it still had the original floors, gas tank and brake/fuel lines on it when I sold in 2008.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks. Ended up getting a low mile used tundra and will take it to crown. Seems like pretty cheap insurance.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Stainless is extremely hard on dies required to shape steel for body panels,etc. Would be crazy expensive.