Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Default BC provincial campgrounds closed to all non-residents

Announced today. If non residents already have a reservation, they must contact BC Parks for a refund. If any non-British Columbian makes a new reservation, they'll cancel it, but won't refund the deposit.

"The health and safety of our BC Parks staff, park operators and visitors continue to be our top priority. We are all in this together, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as our staff and park operators work to safely reopen parks and campgrounds across the province," said the statement."

'We are all in this together - except for you Albertans' !!!
Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Alberta has already done the same thing. Our campgrounds are only reservable by Albertans.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Saskatchewan and Manitoba also
Old 05-21-2020, 05:57 PM

There’s always crown land.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
There’s always crown land.
Crown lands forsure you may take some vandalism risk.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Announced today. If non residents already have a reservation, they must contact BC Parks for a refund. If any non-British Columbian makes a new reservation, they'll cancel it, but won't refund the deposit.

"The health and safety of our BC Parks staff, park operators and visitors continue to be our top priority. We are all in this together, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as our staff and park operators work to safely reopen parks and campgrounds across the province," said the statement."

Duplicate thread. Please post a link. So far from what is available your post is not accurate.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381851
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 PM

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5579086
Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Crown lands forsure you may take some vandalism risk.
There’s always that risk when going to bc It’s popular to bash albertans.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Boy these reporters either do a crappy job at reporting the facts or the officials are purposely trying to mislead via "deceit by omission" of facts.....

Here is another story on this and note the commentary about it not being mandatory:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6969721/b...ping-bc-parks/

The excerpt I am referring to is:
"However, the province won’t be forcing those out-of-province visitors with pre-existing reservations to cancel their bookings.

“We didn’t think it would be fair for people who made a reservation prior to this new rule to automatically cancel the reservation unless, of course, we are not having that park or those campsites open at all,” Heyman said.

“We are asking them to respect the desire of British Columbians to have access to our own parks."
Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 PM

So if you see any BC plates here........give them the ........ ya

edit~same rules apply for Quebec plates.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post

And what would you hope to gain?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 PM

I hate to say it but Canada is turning into a not so pleasant place to live. This government is really getting to be too much to take. Can’t fish where you want , can’t duck hunt with a 12 gauge. Can’t even use a stupid electric trolling motor without a F^{€}n boaters certificate. This Covid thing is so stupid when you consider you can go to Walmart and pass around Covid like candy.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post

So, I’ll fill in the blank. ....give them the thumbs up....ya. I travel to Alberta a couple of times a year to visit family, also to Saskatchewan. I always enjoy the drive, meet lots of friendly people, and in general enjoy the heck out the trips. Nobody gives me a bad time for being from BC. Maybe that’ll change on my next trip, but I sure hope not.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
So, I’ll fill in the blank. ....give them the thumbs up....ya. I travel to Alberta a couple of times a year to visit family, also to Saskatchewan. I always enjoy the drive, meet lots of friendly people, and in general enjoy the heck out the trips. Nobody gives me a bad time for being from BC. Maybe that’ll change on my next trip, but I sure hope not.
I have been fishing and camping in the Kootenays for years. Never had any issues with people from BC camping there. Actually only with people from Alberta that where causing **** and being disrespectful. Maybe they have some reasons for not liking us. It was embarrassing.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

Received the email regarding this... Going to wait the 2 weeks leading up to June 15 and make a decision on our reservation at Surveyor's then.

I'm sure the proper thing to do would be to cancel, but what are they going to do if you don't? Refuse the reservation when you check-in?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:23 AM

If you look hard enough you can find private campgrounds in the kootneys still allowing albertans
Old 05-22-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I have been fishing and camping in the Kootenays for years. Never had any issues with people from BC camping there. Actually only with people from Alberta that where causing **** and being disrespectful. Maybe they have some reasons for not liking us. It was embarrassing.
Finally a good post. Most problems we have seen caused in B.C. are by Albertans. Trespassing, damage to property, theft, damage to the environment
one could go on and on So yes there may be a reason for some dislike. a look at one of the local B.C. papers shows some Albertans were at it again. All B.Cers are not saints either.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 AM

We have bookings in Radium at a private campground. No issues.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 AM

Why so much vitriolic AB vs BC? We need to drop that narrative and get along.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Agree. I’m from BC and I’ve been driving back and forth for almost 35 years. I have noticed a change since Premier Horgan took over. Just my opinion
Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Finally a good post. Most problems we have seen caused in B.C. are by Albertans. Trespassing, damage to property, theft, damage to the environment
one could go on and on So yes there may be a reason for some dislike. a look at one of the local B.C. papers shows some Albertans were at it again. All B.Cers are not saints either.

Please enlighten me on this. I need to understand this better.

Are you saying that "most" of the trespassing, damage to property, theft, etc is being perpetrated by Albertans? Is this in all of BC or just in your particular area? If it is the latter then what area do you reside in that attracts all the ne'er-do-well's from Alberta to your neck of the woods?
I wish you would go on and tell me about your perception of the problem - hopefully backed up by some facts.

If you are anecdotally referring to some reference in a newspaper that reports on crime and states "so-and-so" from Alberta was arrested in relation to this matter, then I hope you take into account this used to be a free country that one could travel throughout and that the door swings both ways ! A large percentage of criminals are transient by nature, moving from place to place to avoid police/warrants, etc and I can assure you we see A LOT of people being arrested here in Alberta whose last "known" address was from BC.....
Defnitely doesn't mean most of the crime is done at the hands of those terrible BC'ers.

My primary residence is here in Alberta but for the last 15 years I have had a home in the Kootenays that I spend 5+ months at every year.
I can assure you that the dozen or so beer cans I find in the ditch outside my residence every 6 weeks or so are not from Albertans, the discarded refrigerators and furniture dumped on the side of the forestry roads are not being trucked there by Albertans, the occassional B & E that is done on recreational homes out there are not by Albertans.....

Crime and acts of stupidity and ignorance know no provincial boundary.
I just know that whenever I see a BC plate in Alberta my first instinct is not to assume they are here to cause problems. Luckily for BC the vast vast majority of Albertans would never even have a second thought about welcoming a BC'er, or whether someone from BC belongs here or not,regardless of COVID-19.
Increasingly the opposite does not appear to be true anymore.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 AM

let me tell ya when I walk around my home in B.C. one thing those guys are guilty for would be picking up dog doo doo in a bag and leaving the bag on the ground somewhere without properly disposing it. I walk down one block and you can see a dozen poop sacks in my neighbourhood or on the beach.

I rather them not do that since its probably better for the poop to naturally decompose then tossing a bag everywhere.

So yes not everyone is a saint haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Agreed.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Agree. I’m from BC and I’ve been driving back and forth for almost 35 years. I have noticed a change since Premier Horgan took over. Just my opinion

Horgan, couldn't even get along with his own kind! Making a deal with the greens caused him to become more of an arsehole than he was before he did the deed!

BW
Old 05-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
Please enlighten me on this. I need to understand this better.

Are you saying that "most" of the trespassing, damage to property, theft, etc is being perpetrated by Albertans? Is this in all of BC or just in your particular area? If it is the latter then what area do you reside in that attracts all the ne'er-do-well's from Alberta to your neck of the woods?
I wish you would go on and tell me about your perception of the problem - hopefully backed up by some facts.

If you are anecdotally referring to some reference in a newspaper that reports on crime and states "so-and-so" from Alberta was arrested in relation to this matter, then I hope you take into account this used to be a free country that one could travel throughout and that the door swings both ways ! A large percentage of criminals are transient by nature, moving from place to place to avoid police/warrants, etc and I can assure you we see A LOT of people being arrested here in Alberta whose last "known" address was from BC.....
Defnitely doesn't mean most of the crime is done at the hands of those terrible BC'ers.

My primary residence is here in Alberta but for the last 15 years I have had a home in the Kootenays that I spend 5+ months at every year.
I can assure you that the dozen or so beer cans I find in the ditch outside my residence every 6 weeks or so are not from Albertans, the discarded refrigerators and furniture dumped on the side of the forestry roads are not being trucked there by Albertans, the occassional B & E that is done on recreational homes out there are not by Albertans.....

Crime and acts of stupidity and ignorance know no provincial boundary.
I just know that whenever I see a BC plate in Alberta my first instinct is not to assume they are here to cause problems. Luckily for BC the vast vast majority of Albertans would never even have a second thought about welcoming a BC'er, or whether someone from BC belongs here or not,regardless of COVID-19.
Increasingly the opposite does not appear to be true anymore.
No not all of B.C. So who is dumping the fridges and furniture you find.
What was done when you reported it. did they have to go back and clean it up. What did the people do when you asked them to quit throwing out there beer cans.
As said all BCers are not saints.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 AM

I’ve lived in, and travel extensively, the 3 western provinces. Despite our differences, we are brothers and sisters.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
No not all of B.C. So who is dumping the fridges and furniture you find.
What was done when you reported it. did they have to go back and clean it up. What did the people do when you asked them to quit throwing out there beer cans.
As said all BCers are not saints.

Since you asked, the furniture, the appliances and the used motor oil, and all other possible combinations of garbage are being dumped off of forestry roads by locals ! Yes, I know that is a shocker.
You see BC seems to have some rather large gaps in their waste management schemes depending on what regional district you live in.
So I guess these folks would rather dump their trash in the pristine wilderness than wait til Tuesday when the dump opens, or heck just dump it anyway instead of paying the $10 fee.....

The Regional District claims it has no "jurisdiction" in the matter and that the local Community Forest group who has logging tenure in the area should clean it up. They beg to differ however, so it is often people like me who load up other's trash and take it in to town. The more restrictions placed on things in the name of saving the environment the more of this I expect to see. You can't magically ban things from the dump one week and then expect people to come up with alternate solutions the next. At least not the lazy ones.

As for the beer cans, these are generally the logging and tree planting crews coming back into town at the end of the day, sipping a cold one after a long, hard day of work in the sun....
It's rather hard to have a chat with someone about their nasty littering habit as they drive by at 100km/hr
While I have some understanding of this given their work and can often hear the tinny sound of the can bouncing just after the truck rolls by, I have never been close enough to properly ID a vehicle or get a plate - not that it would magically end things anyway.

So then just to be clear, while I think BC is absolute heaven and that an unfortunate number of the "locals" don't appreciate what they have at their feet, I know that this is a rather small representation of the general population. Most would not do what is being done, yet a few continue to do it and will continue to do it as long as they can get away with it.
I do my part , always. I volunteer on local Committees, sit as a Director on the local shooting range and generally conduct myself in a manner that is a benefit to the area. Yet I continue to get the "Albertan" slurs slung my way every once in awhile and have developed a rather thick skin over the years.

The unfortunate part is that the trend has noticeably increased. It used to be when our economy was booming and Albertans were buying second properties in areas that just didn't see much in the way of active sales. There was clearly some resentment of the "red tide" moving in. Yet these same people were happy to sell if they were the ones cashing the cheque. And while our provincial governments may have large philisophical differences, I know for a fact that painting large swaths of any population with the same brush is bound to backfire. I will continue to take the high road but that doesn't mean I won't defend Alberta and Albertans when they are being unfairly characterized.

All people regardless of the color of their licence plates need to be called out for their unacceptable behaviour.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
[/B]

Horgan, couldn't even get along with his own kind! Making a deal with the greens caused him to become more of an arsehole than he was before he did the deed!

BW
Yup. He is like Donald trump Jr. Both have very punchable faces. 😀
Old 05-22-2020, 04:26 PM

I just got off the phone with BC Parks (after trying to get through 8 times over the past 2 days and being on hold for 45 minutes this time) and if you are from out of province and ALREADY HAVE a reservation they will honor it. I was told to keep an eye on the BC Parks website for updates - if your campground does not open and BC Parks cancels your reservation (before or after June 15) you will get a refund. If you cancel before June 15 you will get a refund. If you cancel after June 15 you will not get a refund.

If you are from out of province and try to make a new reservation it will not be honored and you will not get a refund.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
Since you asked, the furniture, the appliances and the used motor oil, and all other possible combinations of garbage are being dumped off of forestry roads by locals ! Yes, I know that is a shocker.
You see BC seems to have some rather large gaps in their waste management schemes depending on what regional district you live in.
So I guess these folks would rather dump their trash in the pristine wilderness than wait til Tuesday when the dump opens, or heck just dump it anyway instead of paying the $10 fee.....

The Regional District claims it has no "jurisdiction" in the matter and that the local Community Forest group who has logging tenure in the area should clean it up. They beg to differ however, so it is often people like me who load up other's trash and take it in to town. The more restrictions placed on things in the name of saving the environment the more of this I expect to see. You can't magically ban things from the dump one week and then expect people to come up with alternate solutions the next. At least not the lazy ones.

As for the beer cans, these are generally the logging and tree planting crews coming back into town at the end of the day, sipping a cold one after a long, hard day of work in the sun....
It's rather hard to have a chat with someone about their nasty littering habit as they drive by at 100km/hr
While I have some understanding of this given their work and can often hear the tinny sound of the can bouncing just after the truck rolls by, I have never been close enough to properly ID a vehicle or get a plate - not that it would magically end things anyway.

So then just to be clear, while I think BC is absolute heaven and that an unfortunate number of the "locals" don't appreciate what they have at their feet, I know that this is a rather small representation of the general population. Most would not do what is being done, yet a few continue to do it and will continue to do it as long as they can get away with it.
I do my part , always. I volunteer on local Committees, sit as a Director on the local shooting range and generally conduct myself in a manner that is a benefit to the area. Yet I continue to get the "Albertan" slurs slung my way every once in awhile and have developed a rather thick skin over the years.

The unfortunate part is that the trend has noticeably increased. It used to be when our economy was booming and Albertans were buying second properties in areas that just didn't see much in the way of active sales. There was clearly some resentment of the "red tide" moving in. Yet these same people were happy to sell if they were the ones cashing the cheque. And while our provincial governments may have large philisophical differences, I know for a fact that painting large swaths of any population with the same brush is bound to backfire. I will continue to take the high road but that doesn't mean I won't defend Alberta and Albertans when they are being unfairly characterized.

All people regardless of the color of their licence plates need to be called out for their unacceptable behaviour.
Yes shouldn't matter what color of plate they should be called out.

So what happened when you reported the people dumping garbage, fridges , motor oil etc, you say they were locals so should have been fairly easy to report.
I find it strange about the trucks throwing out cans near your residents in the first post you said not Albertans but now you saw there loggers but you couldn't id the trucks or get a plate so how would one know were there from.
Pretty easy to find out who is logging in area or planting trees for that matter
if that's who it was but not really sounding like it or your not concerned or
see it as a issue.
Hope it stops or wont be beautiful B.C. for long.