Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you wear a cloth mask to prevent Covid spread when in tighter public confines?
Yes...I will voluntarily wear a cloth mask to protect others 111 34.26%
No...not until it is made a law will I wear a cloth mask 93 28.70%
Never...I refuse regardless if it’s a law 64 19.75%
I don’t care...may or may not wear a mask 56 17.28%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
They also made a law about wearing seatbelts. Now almost everyone wears one. The law worked. Less dead people.

Wear your mask. It works. Less dead people.
Sure. That's what I said.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
They also made a law about wearing seatbelts. Now almost everyone wears one.
The law worked. Less dead people.

Wear your mask. It works. Less dead people.
Wear your masks folks..even if it kills you to save another's life...don't be selfish now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EXN197WU4AA0seH.jpg (50.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Odd doesn’t seem to be working all that great in California and many other places with mask laws

But it’s a great theory
You can’t say it yet. Takes time for numbers to stabilize then decline as shown in other countries.

Right now they have wide spread infections.

But it is valid to say it is a hypothesis and we don’t know if it will help or have no statistical affect. However you know 100% it won’t make it worse...it doesn’t hurt people...and is easy to do. The data will be very important for both future outbreaks of Covid as well as any new pandemics.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
They didn’t brin the law into effect until April 10...let’s wait and see how it works out.
Before that they were is full lockdown so a mask law was pointless. China’s used even more extreme measures did not stop a second outbreak either. Keep looking no lack of heavy handed measures falling short once Covid19 is present

I would not put much faith in the mask theory

Vaccine or immunity is going to be the only true end. Good thing Covid19 has been having far less of an impact then predicated and has an extremely high survival rate for majority of the public
Old 05-21-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Wear your masks folks..even if it kills you to save another's life...don't be selfish now!
To be quite honest I would be perfectly fine if I killed myself by wearing a mask if it saved even one other person - even you.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Default Question

Just a presumption that most people on smaller community, that does not agree with this lockdown. They are not the same as we are in Calgary because they have more space.

As my previous post we had a positive in our household. No worries every thing was cleared out by AHS. (if you believe them)

I had a plan to do spring bear hunt but I hold off. For the life of me I would not be the cause of pain intentional or not.

What is your take on it?

I want a bear
Old 05-21-2020, 06:53 PM

Go shoot a bear!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah that 25 minutes per week at the grocery store under a mask is going to lead to tens of thousands of deaths.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
No we aren't all going to die.

But people need to be aware that wearing the masks helps protect themselves and others.

I've been on hundreds of construction sites and never been hit on the head. Does that mean people shouldn't wear hardhats?

It's a logical health and safety issue. Let's just wear the masks.

Actually yes we are all going to die.

And the only times I have ever hurt my head or neck on construction sites are when I'm wearing a hard hat. This from a 20 year carpenter J man.
Only time I ever came close to falling off a roof was when I stepped on the 1" rope I had underfoot that was supposed to keep me safe.
Government rarely uses logic or sense when coming up with laws to "protect" us
Just saying

Also we are all going to die..count on it
Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Yeah that 25 minutes per week at the grocery store under a mask is
going to lead to tens of thousands of deaths.
Listen to your experts..it's a must, dont be selfish please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCBRQWmwK5Q
Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
No flaming. Just a wrong premise that assumes someone who wears a mask when in close quarters in public to protect others somehow believes is stealing guns away from lawfully owners in Alberta.

Cheers

Sun

My point was both things were implemented by the government without reasonable proof.

Quote:
It's not law & nobody is saying you have to. It's simply another suggested way of helping contain the virus. Again, it's not for the wearer, but for other people.

Personally I don't wear one 99% of the time. When I go for groceries where I know there are lots of other people around I wear one for a grand total of about 20-30 minutes (every 7-10 days). It's not a hassle in the slightest & if I'm helping contribute to containing this thing by even a fraction of a percent it's worth it.
I subscribe to the belief that the only way to stop the virus is herd immunity. Those that are at risk should be quarantined and the rest of us should get the virus and become immune. Then its gone before it can mutate and really harm us, like the Spanish Flu did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
your comparing apples to oranges...pandemic virus prevention is spot on and the gun ban crap is just that...oh and you will wear a mask in some buildings whether you like it or not....hospitals come to mind.

ohh I did enjoy your emotionally driven post...thx.

Eye of the beholder. Not everyone thinks the pandemic virus protection is "spot on" and the majority of Canadians who voted Liberal think the gun ban is.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM

For some reason poll doesn’t show up for me, but chalk me up for a no mask guy. Now in general I don’t see too many peeps in a day anyways, but I guess if you see me without and want to avoid the risk, run quickly. Or stay home and avoid the risk. Which is the way the world always used to work. Thankfully there’s still likeminded people around. Met a fine gentleman in Calgary today to pick up a pedal bike. Nice to see when I offered a hand to conclude a deal, he took it. Yeah go ahead, flame away
Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
You sound like someone who thinks vaccines cause autism. Carry on.
Not actually familiar with that subject whatsoever......but I'll give you an "attaboy" for the effort
Old 05-21-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It really can’t hurt to wear one and if it slows down the spread even a measly 20%/30%. It’s worth it.
This is the proper attitude. No matter what some say on either side of the argument , if it helps at all , we should do it.
Spanish flu saw us wearing cloth masks over 100 years ago.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 PM

Not a lot of downside to wearing a mask, and potentially a whole lot of upside by helping avoid contagion to yourself or others.

I must be daft because I cannot understand why this is being so strongly debated. A strong second wave would be deadly for many older adults, and another heavy blow to our faltering economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Not a lot of downside to wearing a mask, and potentially a whole lot of upside by helping avoid contagion to yourself or others.

I must be daft because I cannot understand why this is being so strongly debated. A strong second wave would be deadly for many older adults, and another heavy blow to our faltering economy.

I agree. It’s not hard to do and easy to make one if you can’t find one to buy. I have this feeling lately that lots of people think we are free and clear. That plague will be around a long time and if wearing a mask helps I’m doing it no problem
I also have tons of respect for our nurses and docs
Old 05-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:

But what if my own ego, stubbornness & confirmation bias don't allow me to follow the simple suggestions by people who are a lot smarter than me?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 PM

If someone says dog, you think of YOUR dog. If someone say property, you think of YOUR property. If someone says a virus that is killing people, you think of YOUR life. It's simple human nature.

Some of us stop there and others continue past that thinking about OTHER people and their lives/loved ones.

Arguing that this has only killed a small number of people here, so it isn't a threat is silly. Imagine how big of a problem we would have if we were still seeing hospitals overrun despite all of the precautions we have taken?

I have masks and hand sanitizer plus a few bars of soap. I use them. If it turns out to be mild and is all for nothing...What am I out?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
But what if my own ego, stubbornness & confirmation bias don't allow me to follow the simple suggestions by people who are a lot smarter than me?
The first step to recovery is recognizing you have that problem. Good for you, you may be on the road to being normal. A new normal, even.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-22-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I think that makes you what passes as normal anymore.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Dang! I am going to look awesome! Something tells me it will be a tad ineffective lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C8C76381-C0DF-4F3F-B53B-4540AC6325E2.jpg (21.9 KB, 43 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-22-2020, 07:52 AM

This one looks like it would work well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92188708_3109101935787206_2344771781035819008_n.jpg (39.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
My point was both things were implemented by the government without reasonable proof.

Eye of the beholder. Not everyone thinks the pandemic virus protection is "spot on" and the majority of Canadians who voted Liberal think the gun ban is.

I guess we are screwed....no hope....majority wins.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:

many folks don't understand or fully understand what has taken place....death and a lockdown/economic closure which affected us all to some extent....now if your sitting here typing how you think things were too late...overkill...etc...and your reaching for governments handouts then complaining how this will effect us as in possible increased taxes etc....you might want to follow the guidelines so we don't have a second wave that may be worse..lets get the economy up and running safely..but then again some like to get handouts...sit on the couch and complain while not following guidelines implemented for the betterment of all.

good luck out there.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Healthcare workers would be dropping dead if this were the case. The majority of people aren't going to be wearing masks for hours.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I guess we are screwed....no hope....majority wins.
I am sure we will be fine. This is not the first or the last flu that has gone through the population. Now that we have social media (like this forum) people have gone overboard. It will be another nonstarter like Y2K, aids, killer bees, quicksand, acid rain, or a Spice Girls Reunion Tour. Gotta remember the media is a business that is most financially succesful when it sells fear.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I am sure we will be fine. This is not the first or the last flu that has gone through the population. Now that we have social media (like this forum) people have gone overboard. It will be another nonstarter like Y2K, aids, killer bees, quicksand, acid rain, or a Spice Girls Reunion Tour. Gotta remember the media is a business that is most financially succesful when it sells fear.
fear equals a liberal......or a gathering of'em…..with political backing and they wear masks so they are not going to die off too sooooon

Old 05-22-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
This is the proper attitude. No matter what some say on either side of the argument , if it helps at all , we should do it.
Spanish flu saw us wearing cloth masks over 100 years ago.
My understanding is that we still have influenza. It just keeps mutating.
We lost 8500 people to pneumonia in 2018 and I think 1000 of them where just from the common flu or influenza.

What none of you on here are talking about are the mental illness,divorces and suicides or the ones who die of something else because of surgery back logs or they are just to scared to go to the hospital .
Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
My understanding is that we still have influenza. It just keeps mutating.
We lost 8500 people to pneumonia in 2018 and I think 1000 of them where just from the common flu or influenza.

What none of you on here are talking about are the mental illness,divorces and suicides or the ones who die of something else because of surgery back logs or they are just to scared to go to the hospital .
Yes and that is another part of it how this has impacted us all......so follow medical guidelines so we can safely get the economy up and running.....

Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 AM

I tend to ignore all federal recommendations - no faith in Dr Tam nor the PM as experts.

I do have respect for Dr Hinshaw. I notice that she does not wear a mask at her updates - nor does the chap doing sign language. I think I saw the Premier of Quebec wearing one and of course our beloved PM. I suspect this is virtue signalling to calm the masses as they clearly are not in congested spaces when giving their respective media briefs.

From the AB Government site (I have bolded key bits)....

Albertans are encouraged to wear non-medical masks when out in public places where keeping a distance of 2 metres is difficult.

Medical masks (N95, surgical or procedure masks):
must be kept for health care workers and people providing direct care to COVID-19 patients

Non-medical masks (cloth or homemade):

- should only be used in addition to other protective steps
- are not proven to protect the person wearing it, but may help protect others
- cover your mouth and nose to prevent respiratory droplets from contaminating other people or surfaces
- must be worn and taken on/off properly as the outside can become contaminated